Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 02:58 PM   #3061
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
The Sony A7R III looks nice....
It's a good camera. But it's really a camera intended for cinematographers just like many Panasonic Lumix cameras. Given that the vast majority of people are taking pictures with smart phones and selfie sticks, any camera would be a step up from what people use today. In my case, I wanted a lightweight camera with interchangeable lenses and the ability to shoot 4K video and with a built-in time lapse function. I normally mount my camera on a gimbal or tripod when shooting videos, so I like to keep the weight as low as possible.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2019, 03:01 PM   #3062

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
I was staying in Kanab, Utah last spring for the various sights in the region. I went out to the Toadstool Hoodoos four different mornings. Here are the best 3 shots.
You should have done a time lapse of those scenes. Very nice!
Old 08-20-2019, 03:19 PM   #3063
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I was staying in Kanab, Utah last spring for the various sights in the region. I went out to the Toadstool Hoodoos four different mornings. Here are the best 3 shots.
Very nice, especially the Milky Way shot.

Do you have to drive far to get to a place dark enough for something like that?

Also seems like light painting?

Went to a talk to a guy who specializes in those shots and he said you'd have to drive about 75 miles away from the Bay Area to get a dark enough sky, though he also said some light pollution from cities in the distance could add to milky way photos without blocking out the stars because they are too bright.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:31 AM   #3064

Quote:
Advice and Recommendations needed.

What is a good all round camera for someone who would like to take up photography in retirement. Not a starter camera as such, but one that you would buy for keeps. Does not need to be cheap, more interested in overall functionality and perhaps ease of use too. I like to take photos of wildlife and vistas mainly, perhaps the odd video.

I have owned some good Cameras but not really for the photography usage aspect. I bought them to design mounts for commercial drone applications and sold them after the projects were complete. So currently I only have a small point and shoot. I used to have a few Canon Lenses, but again all have been sold off to fund the next project. So I am really starting from scratch now.

I think I would like a full frame camera as I have never owned one.

Some in order of the latest are:

Sony 6500 - This was a nice camera, but seemed very complicated.
Sony 5000
Ricoh GR
NX-1100
Canon 7D
Some older Canon EOS DSLR Models.

Any Recommendations would be helpful.
Put a Nikon D7500 on your list.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:25 AM   #3065

Quote:
Put a Nikon D7500 on your list.
Thanks, but it is not full frame or Mirrorless. I think I may as well go for the latest.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:53 AM   #3066
Moderator Emeritus

^ Then consider a Nikon D810 or D850.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:59 AM   #3067

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
^ Then consider a Nikon D810 or D850.
Nice cameras, but I think I am leaning towards a Mirrorless.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:02 AM   #3068
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I probably would too if I was starting out with all new equipment
Old 08-21-2019, 07:04 AM   #3069
Moderator Emeritus

Matthiessen State Park in Utica, Illinois a few days ago. Too early for fall color, too late for water features.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mathiessen.jpg (1.29 MB, 25 views)
Old 08-21-2019, 11:40 AM   #3070

Quote:
I would avoid buying a reflex mirror camera. I have both and took me time to get used to an electronic viewfinder but now I prefer it as you see your exposure in real time. Plus with the viewfinder zoom features, manual focusing is much more precise. Keep in mind that the camera body is just a down payment. The cost and availability of good lenses should be the deciding factor. The lens makes all the difference in the world. The best light weight mirrorless cameras are from Sony, Panasonic, Fuji, and Olympus. The Nikon Z6 looks good but too heavy for my needs. The Canon mirrorless cameras have a horrible rolling shutter problem and terrible crop factor when shooting 4K video. Then there are the other accessories such as tripods, filters, camera bags, remote shutter releases, gimbals (if you are shooting videos) and post processing software. The other thing you should consider is if you plan to use your camera for travel, you want to keep your equipment as light as possible. This is one reason I walked away from Canon and my Canon DSLRs are used primarily for taking photos of items that I sell on Craigslist. Just keep in mind that the photography industry is going through another transition phase. With plunging sales due to smartphone photography, the manufacturers are focusing primarily on mid to higher end cameras and lenses to remain profitable. Panasonic, Fuji, Sony, cameras are primarily for cinematographers and those who want a light weight camera for travel. Canon and Nikon are battling it out for the few photo enthusiasts that remain.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:14 PM   #3071
Give me a forum ...

I have a Z7 myself, which I got a few months ago.

I was previously using a Nikon D750, which has been a great workhorse the previous 5 years.

One thing to consider though is that even if you're starting from scratch, you might find the DSLR lenses to be slightly cheaper than a new mirrorless system lens.

Canon and Nikon are putting out several lenses over $2000 for their mirrorless systems. Maybe they will make some less expensive lenses for people who aren't pros. or willing to spend thousands for each lens.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:33 PM   #3072

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
Just keep in mind that the photography industry is going through another transition phase. With plunging sales due to smartphone photography, the manufacturers are focusing primarily on mid to higher end cameras and lenses to remain profitable. Panasonic, Fuji, Sony, cameras are primarily for cinematographers and those who want a light weight camera for travel. Canon and Nikon are battling it out for the few photo enthusiasts that remain.
I wouldn't characterize Panasonic or Sony as primarily for cinematographers, even though there are many who use them for that purpose.

I have a Sony A6000 and while it is very useful to video bloggers, it has extensive features that make it a lightweight full frame mirrorless with the ability to change lenses. A good friend uses a Panasonic Lumix LX100 which is a point and shoot - but all the functions you need to take high quality photos are available even if the lens is fixed. The key is the sensor, your interest in taking still photos, and whether you feel the need to be able to change lenses.

- Rita
Old 08-21-2019, 12:46 PM   #3073

I see the Sony A7R IV is due out soon, but 62mp seems like overkill.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:17 PM   #3074

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
I wouldn't characterize Panasonic or Sony as primarily for cinematographers, even though there are many who use them for that purpose.

- Rita
I'm just going by what the CEOs of both companies stated. They both conceded that just as smartphones have killed DSLR and compact camera sales, and mirrorless cameras and bridge cameras have killed video camcorder sales which has resulted in fewer and fewer camcorder models. In a few years camcorders and compact cameras will be completely obsolete. They conceded that they neither company was going to displace Canon or Nikon for the professional DSLR photographer (who are in decline), but they were going to invest in video features for 4K and 8K shooting for their mirrorless cameras which is the only growing segment of the photography market. If you take a look at Panasonic Lumix or Sony Cameras, many models support color profiles, headphone jacks external microphone input, in body stabilization, 10 bit video recording that would never be used for still photography.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:23 PM   #3075

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I have a Z7 myself, which I got a few months ago.

I was previously using a Nikon D750, which has been a great workhorse the previous 5 years.

One thing to consider though is that even if you're starting from scratch, you might find the DSLR lenses to be slightly cheaper than a new mirrorless system lens.

Canon and Nikon are putting out several lenses over $2000 for their mirrorless systems. Maybe they will make some less expensive lenses for people who aren't pros. or willing to spend thousands for each lens.
You can use lens mount adapters on your Nikon. I'm using a Viltrox EF-M2 which allows me use my Canon EF lenses on my Lumix.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:27 PM   #3076
Give me a forum ...

Yeah I have the adapter but I bought the kit lens even though it's only 24-70.

The adapter adds 2 inches.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:25 PM   #3077
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Advice and Recommendations needed.

What is a good all round camera for someone who would like to take up photography in retirement. Not a starter camera as such, but one that you would buy for keeps. Does not need to be cheap, more interested in overall functionality and perhaps ease of use too. I like to take photos of wildlife and vistas mainly, perhaps the odd video.

I have owned some good Cameras but not really for the photography usage aspect. I bought them to design mounts for commercial drone applications and sold them after the projects were complete. So currently I only have a small point and shoot. I used to have a few Canon Lenses, but again all have been sold off to fund the next project. So I am really starting from scratch now.

I think I would like a full frame camera as I have never owned one.

Some in order of the latest are:

Sony 6500 - This was a nice camera, but seemed very complicated.
Sony 5000
Ricoh GR
NX-1100
Canon 7D
Some older Canon EOS DSLR Models.

Any Recommendations would be helpful.

This really depends on how you are using the camera and your photographic interests. I travel a lot and wanted a light camera that I could carry with me everywhere. A photographer friend recommended the Fujifilm X100F, a fixed lens mirrorless camera, not full frame but a pretty great sensor. I am still learning this camera, but it has been fantastic: easy to use, always at hand and it gives great results. Maybe it would work for you.

br
Old 08-21-2019, 06:37 PM   #3078
Recycles dryer sheets

After quite a lot of research, I bought a Sony RX10 MIV, a fixed lens 24-600 mm (35mm equivalent). At the highest zoom setting I can take good photos of surfers from the shore or birds at quite a distance. It also has a fast auto focus system. I have had the camera for about six months and have been very happy with the quality of photos and features. Cost was about $1700, expensive for a bridge type camera but very reasonable compared to the lenses I would need to make my old Nikon D7000 as versatile as the Sony. It also has 20.1 MP whereas the Nikon had only 16.2 MP. It has video features also but frankly I have not used them.

It is hardly a professionalís camera but it is a great all-around performer and an easy traveler. And the best thing about it is you always have a powerful zoom available without changing lenses.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:15 AM   #3079
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persn View Post
After quite a lot of research, I bought a Sony RX10 MIV, a fixed lens 24-600 mm (35mm equivalent). At the highest zoom setting I can take good photos of surfers from the shore or birds at quite a distance. It also has a fast auto focus system. I have had the camera for about six months and have been very happy with the quality of photos and features. Cost was about $1700, expensive for a bridge type camera but very reasonable compared to the lenses I would need to make my old Nikon D7000 as versatile as the Sony. It also has 20.1 MP whereas the Nikon had only 16.2 MP. It has video features also but frankly I have not used them.

It is hardly a professionalís camera but it is a great all-around performer and an easy traveler. And the best thing about it is you always have a powerful zoom available without changing lenses.
Very nice camera! I've had 2 Sony RX100's over the past 5 years. I've been satisfied with them.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:32 AM   #3080

I can see that I have a lot of research and reading to do. I think the common denominator is Mirrorless. The Variables are Pixel Count, Interchangeable lenses or not. I am not concerned about weight as much.

Features I would like are (Please let me know if I am missing anything important):

Image stabilization system in body or lens if fixed.
Really Good AF system (I read there are 2 types)
I really would like a full frame (more of a desire as I have never owned one before)
Large screen (Hopefully manageable menus)

Can a Camera's MPs be controlled. What I mean is if it is say 42mp, can it be set below that for certain applications, say 24mps?