Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 07:44 PM   #3141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
Late September, early October is BEST time to visit SF...it is definitely NOT off season. In fact, it's wedding season.
Wedding season? I didn't realize people got married any longer... We have been there in July many times for the fireworks, New Years Eve many times, and a few times in April/May. We will probably return again next September. It's a 5.5 hour drive door to hotel door.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2019, 07:51 PM   #3142

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Nice.

How do you get the pull in or pull back motion?

Are you using a motion control device like rails?
It's called a reverse dolly motion. You need a fixed subject (cooperating wife) and a gimbal. You can do it by moving forward and zooming out or moving backwards and zooming in for two different effects. What I did was ask my subject (wife) to stay still and stare at the bridge and not the camera and moved towards her with the camera on the gimbal. Since I don't have a power zoom on my camera, I zoomed out in post processing with Vegas Pro using the event pan/crop function keeping the subject about the same size. It's a neat effect used in a lot of classic movies.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:52 PM   #3143

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
Apparently my edit didn't take...very nice video.
thanks
Old 10-07-2019, 07:53 PM   #3144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Another great video, Freedom56!
thanks
Old 10-07-2019, 07:54 PM   #3145

Quote:
iPhone pano at Old Woman Bay, Lake Superior Provincial Park, Ontario. This morning.
Nice. This scene would make a nice time lapse.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:01 AM   #3146
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
Nice. This scene would make a nice time lapse.

Thanks - It would have made for a nice time lapse yesterday when there were fast moving clouds. I might try a time lapse today with automatic settings in the GoPro.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:27 AM   #3147
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's called a reverse dolly motion. You need a fixed subject (cooperating wife) and a gimbal. You can do it by moving forward and zooming out or moving backwards and zooming in for two different effects. What I did was ask my subject (wife) to stay still and stare at the bridge and not the camera and moved towards her with the camera on the gimbal. Since I don't have a power zoom on my camera, I zoomed out in post processing with Vegas Pro using the event pan/crop function keeping the subject about the same size. It's a neat effect used in a lot of classic movies.
Handheld gimbal or tripod mounted gimbal?
Old 10-08-2019, 12:40 PM   #3148

Quote:
Handheld gimbal or tripod mounted gimbal?
I used a hand held Crane 2 gimbal. I supposed if you had a dolly you could do the same or a slider at was long enough. I have a slider but it's too heavy to carry around. I also have dolly wheels that can be mounted under a tripod but that only works on smooth surfaces. The gimbal gives the most flexibility by just moving forward and not tripping on anything in front of you. To get this effect quickly, using a zoom lens focus on a subject while zoomed in, start moving towards the subject while zooming out. That's all there is to it.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:09 PM   #3149
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So you film all the time-lapse on the gimbal?

I've looked at hand held gimbal but they're not light to carry around.

Would be worth it for time-lapse but the rest of the time, when I want to take regular pictures, that gimbal would be extra weight to carry around.

I guess some of them are down to about a pound.

I use a little turntable thing with a tripod to have some panning but when I bother to set up a tripod, I usually try to get at least 30-40 seconds of time lapse so that means capturing for 20-30 minutes in each location.

But maybe I should consider a different strategy, a handheld gimbal to get a lot of 5-10 second footage.

However, I'm also taking a drone on trips so my carryon is already pretty packed.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:03 PM   #3150

Quote:
So you film all the time-lapse on the gimbal?

I've looked at hand held gimbal but they're not light to carry around.

Would be worth it for time-lapse but the rest of the time, when I want to take regular pictures, that gimbal would be extra weight to carry around.

I guess some of them are down to about a pound.

I use a little turntable thing with a tripod to have some panning but when I bother to set up a tripod, I usually try to get at least 30-40 seconds of time lapse so that means capturing for 20-30 minutes in each location.

But maybe I should consider a different strategy, a handheld gimbal to get a lot of 5-10 second footage.

However, I'm also taking a drone on trips so my carryon is already pretty packed.

No I use the gimbal for video shots only and sometimes for hyperlapse shots (moving time lapse). I use a tripod for time lapse shots and sometimes with a motorized pan head. I thought about getting a drone many times but decided to become more proficient shooting on earth first. Now that they are becoming more and more compact, I am reconsidering purchasing one. I have several tripods, but the one that I use most often now is a Mefoto Globetrotter Air. It weighs about 3 lbs and folds down to 12". I also have a Mefoto Roadtrip Air that is even lighter and folds down to 11". One of the reasons I went to a Lumix M43 system is to reduce weight. My Canon DSLR was far too heavy to carry with one hand on a gimbal.

When we travel take as carry-on, a Lowepro backpack that can hold 2 cameras, 6 lenses, filters, and accessories, spare batteries, and a laptop plus we take the small case containing the gimbal. In my luggage, I take two tripods and a Lowpro sling shoulder bag. When we get to our destination I pack the smaller sling bag with the equipment I plan to use that day to keep the weight down. A lot of our shooting involves hiking so the last thing we want to do is take extra equipment.

As far as shooting goes, I normally shoot 8-20 second clips. 4K video at 100 MBits/sec uses up storage fast. I also take a 1 TB Western Digital Wifi drive with me to offload the SD cards from my camera. I found that learning to edit is just as important as learning to shoot. All those photography/film courses that I took at University as unrestricted electives, that I thought were like basket weaving, are actually helping with this hobby.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:23 PM   #3151

Quote:
We spent the weekend in San Francisco and shot a time lapse video. The weather was fantastic for this time of year. It's an amazing location for photography/videography. I was surprised how crowded it was considering it's off season.

Nice video. Just starting to get into video myself. Have much to learn.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:28 PM   #3152

The Photographers' Corner

Last time I posted I was shooting with a Nikon D200 IIRC. That went swimming and I replaced it with a D800. I think that’s just been replaced with my iPhone 11 Pro lol
Old 10-11-2019, 03:34 PM   #3153

Ok it’s been 5 years. Which code do I use to show a Flickr image?
Old 10-11-2019, 03:36 PM   #3154
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
Ok it’s been 5 years. Which code do I use to show a Flickr image?
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post739527
Old 10-11-2019, 03:40 PM   #3155

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

Thanks. Thought it wasn’t working because I couldn’t see the image. I understand the problem now.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:54 PM   #3156

IMG_0149.jpg
Old 10-11-2019, 04:05 PM   #3157
Dryer sheet aficionado

Not into photography myself, but my son is, and was able to catch this shot on a flight from Singapore to Australia. For the description see: NASA Astronomy Picture of the Day
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MWBolideEricWagner1200.jpg (330.5 KB, 39 views)
Old 10-11-2019, 04:09 PM   #3158
Moderator Emeritus

Some photos from our recent circle Lake Superior road trip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bond Falls.jpg (1.15 MB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg porcupine mtns Lake of the Clouds.jpg (1.10 MB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg porcupine mtns south bdry road.jpg (1.28 MB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Split Rock Lighthouse.jpg (905.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg sunburst forest.jpg (1.09 MB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Wawa Sandy Beach 1.jpg (605.6 KB, 34 views)
Old 10-11-2019, 05:44 PM   #3159
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Some photos from our recent circle Lake Superior road trip
Excellent in every way Ron! Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:14 PM   #3160

+1
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
Closed Thread