Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #341
Recycles dryer sheets

Common Grackles
Nikon D7000 , Nikon - Zoom 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G AF-S ED VR, hand held
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-2984416614.jpg (485.6 KB, 17 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2013, 04:33 AM   #342
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nice shot c-man23- pretty sky. I took this one last night looking over the observatory just about dusk. You can just see Venus above the clouds below the moon.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #343
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
That is a fabulous photo, C-man23!

Welcome to the forum!
+1

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 11-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #344
Moderator Emeritus

Brown Pelican seen while walking along the creek behind my apartment. The pelican and the post are in the shade of the building, the background is illuminated by the setting sun.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #345

While DW is recovering from a severe cold I stick around to get whatever she needs so I had to make do with what I could find close by. While fall foliage is past peak, individual trees and leaves are not. So I went out in the yard and picked up a few and got out the macro lens. I also included a shot of my lavishly equipped studio.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Indoor_leaves-1.jpg (150.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Indoor_leaves-2.jpg (161.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Indoor_leaves-3.jpg (148.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Indoor_leaves-5.jpg (283.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Indoor_leaves-6.jpg (82.2 KB, 14 views)
Old 11-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #346
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
While DW is recovering from a severe cold I stick around to get whatever she needs so I had to make do with what I could find close by. While fall foliage is past peak, individual trees and leaves are not. So I went out in the yard and picked up a few and got out the macro lens. I also included a shot of my lavishly equipped studio.
Great shots on the leaves. Good idea putting them to work after they've fallen. Nice studio!
Old 11-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #347
Moderator Emeritus

Winter must be here. Found an icy pond on my hike yesterday and my dock is a little frosty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-1795310931.jpg (889.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg image-505472345.jpg (283.5 KB, 17 views)
Old 11-09-2013, 04:58 AM   #348
Give me a forum ...

Just a snapshot, (but we like it), that my wife caught in the Azores last month on our way back from Barcelona:

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 11-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #349
gone traveling

Just went through this entire thread and have enjoyed lots of good pics. Actually made a modest living in the field of photography before deciding that it was too modest and moved on to something else. Sold my gear and got a point and shoot when we started having kids. When I went off the payroll 3 1/2 years ago I researched digital cameras and got a Canon 5D MKII. It's been great fun.

flicker
Old 11-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #350
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
Just went through this entire thread and have enjoyed lots of good pics. Actually made a modest living in the field of photography before deciding that it was too modest and moved on to something else. Sold my gear and got a point and shoot when we started having kids. When I went off the payroll 3 1/2 years ago I researched digital cameras and got a Canon 5D MKII. It's been great fun. flicker
Great shot. Was this taken in the wild?
Old 11-10-2013, 02:17 PM   #351
gone traveling

Thanks Toolman ... our bird feeder hangs from a branch and sometimes the little fellers will perch on that branch. That was taken from my living room. Have to replace those single pane windows one of these days but in the meanwhile
Old 11-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #352
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nice shot, Mr Paul. Yea, there are some beautiful shots here.

Taken on July near Seward AK. They say the glaciers are blue because they are really packed snow - not ice.

Camera Roll-15 by jglennhart, on Flickr
Old 11-21-2013, 05:06 PM   #353
Full time employment: Posting here.

The lighting is awesome on that Seward AK shot.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #354
Moderator Emeritus

testing out the new 35mm 1.8 lens on dinner
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dinner.jpg (386.3 KB, 18 views)
Old 11-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #355
gone traveling

Here's a couple recent pics ... the first is an iphone pic taken on Monday and the snow shot was taken this morning with a Canon 5DMKII.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #356
Give me a forum ...

This doesn't really qualify for this thread, but I bet you all know. What's the best, free, non-proprietary place to store digital photos that can be selectively shared with others? I see a lot about Pinterest.

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #357
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
This doesn't really qualify for this thread, but I bet you all know. What's the best, free, non-proprietary place to store digital photos that can be selectively shared with others? I see a lot about Pinterest.

Thanks in advance!
shutterfly and photobucket are a couple that I've used. Here's the link to my shutterfly page: https://curtspics1.shutterfly.com/
Old 11-24-2013, 09:51 AM   #358
gone traveling

I have used both Photobucket and Flickr for many years and have had no problems. Flickr has fairly recently quadrupled their allowed amount of free storage to a level that would be difficult to attain in a single lifetime and if there is a photo where resolution is critical I always use Flickr.

I think Photobucket is a bit more user friendly for the purpose you're describing.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:40 PM   #359
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the recommendations, they're appreciated. It sounds like Photobucket is worth a look. I don't think it matters, but these are almost all analog snaps I will scan, some pretty old, like my first camera that my parents gave me. I was in single digits, age-wise, but very proud of it. It was a Polaroid (Swinger, maybe?). Tiny photos, but really nice images to keep

Old 11-24-2013, 07:31 PM   #360

It may not matter to you, but be sure to read and understand the TOS for any photo sharing site. Many want all the rights (non-exclusive) to your photos. That means they can resell the photos to anyone willing to buy them from the site for any purpose.

It would irk me no end to see one of my photos used in an ad or magazine and knowing that someone paid for it but I didn't see a cent for my work.