Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 05:22 PM   #861
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

'yep, i do 7 high speed shots at 1 step intervals'

I need to find a tutorial rather than just asking you two lol
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2014, 05:22 PM   #862
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

all you need to know is you don't know ,then search out those who do know.

been doing that as an investor my entire life.

i just steal the thoughts and ideas of those a whole lot smarter than me like dr pfau or michael kitces.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:23 PM   #863
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
'yep, i do 7 high speed shots at 1 step intervals'

I need to find a tutorial rather than just asking you two lol
i don't mind ,that is how we all learn. you need a camera that can do exposure bracketing automatically.
The Photographers' Corner
Old 04-09-2014, 05:23 PM   #864

More experienced or knowledgeable doesn't necessarily equate to smarter. Everyone has something to teach. But I'll check it out.

I assumed you needed anHDR camera...
Old 04-09-2014, 05:25 PM   #865

The D200 should work, then. It's the software doing the 'work' of HDR
Old 04-09-2014, 05:29 PM   #866

Untitled by jglennhart, on Flickr

An image in between all the chatter lol

Shot with an iPhone
Old 04-10-2014, 02:12 AM   #867
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Well, it's a bit more complicated than that, and admittedly the process/math is way over my head. As noted some can look garish and some can look very nice. I just found this one that I worked on some time ago that came out better. Perhaps a bit more color saturation for some tastes.
what happened is you needed more shots taking it darker in the set. the sun is so bright in the left corner that even at the darkest the image still blew out.

the end result is the blowout turns white in the final image instead of retaining good color.

many times i find i have to start out the bracket using negative exposure compensation so i can get a darker set.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:17 AM   #868

Quote:
I assumed you needed anHDR camera...
There is no special HDR camera setting. Many have an automatic bracketing feature but that is not necessary. It just makes the bracketed exposures easier to take.

Mathjak, dang it you are selling me on the D800. Now if I could just sell it to DW....
Old 04-10-2014, 05:32 AM   #869
Give me a forum ...

ha ha ha , you need her to do what my wife does, she goes I am taking yours go get something else.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:08 AM   #870
Full time employment: Posting here.

A photo from my iPhone when walking The Great Wall on vacation in China.ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1397131606.795052.jpg
Old 04-10-2014, 06:14 AM   #871
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Mathjak, dang it you are selling me on the D800. Now if I could just sell it to DW....
+1 Walt. I keep warning DW that I'm going to get an 800. And yesterday i found that I owe only a few 100 in taxes, not a few 1000. So if I get one and a lens, it's almost as if it's half paid for.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:20 AM   #872
Moderator Emeritus

Fooling around in my home office. Natural light coming through the window seemed about right

Old 04-10-2014, 06:43 AM   #873
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
But Walt - that first exposure has all the detail you need, if you PS it and tweak the histogram and saturation. Maybe tweak the exposure as well, lastly. To me, that's almost an ideal exposure from which to make an image.

Dark areas tend to hold detail better, which can be discovered with 'shopping.
Sometimes true. Sometimes the dynamic range is too great for a single exposure.

I'm told my image below looks like a single exposure. Actually the back of the plants was lit by a shaft of sunlight while everything else was in the shade of a thick canopy of trees. HDR was the only choice. My inexperience shows, as I didn't use an exposure spread wide enough to keep some of the plants from being overexposed.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/98341917@N08/11731104535

Similarly, these statues were in a shaft of light. Getting decent detail on their brightly lit areas reduced the background to various shades of black and dark brown. Used HDR because I wanted a background.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/98341917@N08/11731900096
Old 04-10-2014, 07:18 AM   #874

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
A photo from my iPhone when walking The Great Wall on vacation in China.Attachment 18608

Wish I could get out that way sometime - that wall's an impressive achievement. The haze in the photo gives a nice sense of distance.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:26 AM   #875

You guys are inspiring me to stop stop taking snapshots and get serious again. Downloaded a free HDR program last night, just to look over the basic controls, and did a little studying. I can see the advantages to having HDR available for tough shots or a bit of surrealism. I like mathjak's barn photo, but something didn't feel right looking at it, and I think I figured out that feeling. Though the eye can discriminate a large tonal range, like the camera it can not do so all at once. So being able to see detail of the snow AND detail inside simultaneously didn't feel quite natural. This isn't a negative critique of the image, just an observation. Art doesn't have to be realistic, although realistic art is my personal preference. Yet, in ItDontMeanAThing's recent examples, the HDR did add depth and detail to the images, without making the shadows look unrealistic.

I'm also a big fan of chiaroscuro, and black shadows play an important role in a composition, to me.

Just talking out of my posterior, here...

RonStar

You guts are making me feel lazy... Nice composition and lighting. Amazing how nice subjects are often just laying around the house.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:30 AM   #876
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I don't know if anyone has mentioned the HDR applications for smartphones. Takes 3 pictures and blends them into one final. Great for dawn and dusk shots. Many are free.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:32 AM   #877

Quote:
You guys are inspiring me to stop stop taking snapshots and get serious again. Downloaded a free HDR program last night, just to look over the basic controls, and did a little studying. I can see the advantages to having HDR available for tough shots or a bit of surrealism. I like mathjak's barn photo, but something didn't feel right looking at it, and I think I figured out that feeling. Though the eye can discriminate a large tonal range, like the camera it can not do so all at once. So being able to see detail of the snow AND detail inside simultaneously didn't feel quite natural. This isn't a negative critique of the image, just an observation. Art doesn't have to be realistic, although realistic art is my personal preference. Yet, in ItDontMeanAThing's recent examples, the HDR did add depth and detail to the images, without making the shadows look unrealistic.

I'm also a big fan of chiaroscuro, and black shadows play an important role in a composition, to me.

Just talking out of my posterior, here...

RonStar

You guts are making me feel lazy... Nice composition and lighting. Amazing how nice subjects are often just laying around the house.

Kcowan

Got a favorite you like?
Old 04-10-2014, 08:05 AM   #878
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Kcowan

Got a favorite you like?
HDR is "built-in" to the iPhone.

How To Take Stunning HDR Photos With Your iPhone

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 04-10-2014, 08:11 AM   #879

Quote:
Just for information - was having a discussion elsewhere and mentioned a focussing technique some hadn't heard of: it's called back button focussing.
+1 for back button focussing.

Only drawback is when you give your camera to someone else to take a quick snap, they get confused by the removal of focus from the shutter.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:34 AM   #880

Just thought that SF Bay Area photographers might find this seminar on May 4th interesting. It is taking place in a number of locations. Many of the dates have already happened, but some have not. You'll have to troll around on the site to see if there's one near you that hasn't happened.

I have no pecuniary interest in this and am, in fact, too much of a cheapskate to go myself. I like things that are $10 or less

National Geographic Traveler - Photography Seminars : Spirit of Place

Closed Thread