Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 05:37 AM   #1021
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

i tend only shoot street photography in b&w . eliminating colors makes the subjects and lines so much more important. the only time i will shoot color is when i have a subject that is the entire center of focus in some action move.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2014, 08:18 AM   #1022
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've seen the work of street photographers who purposefully seek out color, and whose images work well that way. Every time I think that I prefer B&W, I find a photographer who takes great street images in color.

Mind you, I have to agree that there is something about a great "classic" street shot and B&W that goes together so well.

I am getting so close to pulling the trigger on a Fuji X100S. I've figured out that if I buy a used one in nice condition, together with the 50mm converter that is coming out soon, it will replace my old DSLR and 2 primes for the types of photos I take. So......if I sell my old body and lenses, it will fund the purchase of the newer camera. This makes my frugal self very happy, and keeps my photo self happy too

Old 04-18-2014, 11:15 AM   #1023
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Although I having noting to contribute right now, I am really enjoying the recent activity here. Nice work everyone!
Old 04-18-2014, 11:16 AM   #1024
Moderator Emeritus

Playing around with a new HDR program:

Old 04-18-2014, 11:40 AM   #1025
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Outstanding!
Old 04-18-2014, 02:43 PM   #1026

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I've figured out that if I buy a used one in nice condition, together with the 50mm converter that is coming out soon, it will replace my old DSLR and 2 primes for the types of photos I take. So......if I sell my old body and lenses, it will fund the purchase of the newer camera. This makes my frugal self very happy, and keeps my photo self happy too
Glad to hear you figured out a way to rationalize justify the new camera! No doubt you'll enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Nice! What HDR software?
Old 04-18-2014, 02:49 PM   #1027

Played around in PS to make a composite, flipping the tulips horizontal to make the light appear from the right the way the clouds are and cutting out the black background with the pen tool and replacing that with a sky. Perhaps not believable but the colors grab my eye.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Composit.jpg (112.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 04-18-2014, 03:34 PM   #1028
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Nice! What HDR software?
Nik HDR Efex Pro.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:38 PM   #1029

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post

Nice urbanscape .... The colors all work well together. A lot of good 'patterns' of buildings and cars, windows, escape ladder - repetition is good. . Tree adds a nice foreground element IMO, and stops the eye from going further left, as it follows the line of houses and cars downhill. There's movement, and a lot of detail to hold the attention.

Sell it somewhere... A local lifestyle magazine or something. It's a really nice composition, and best use of HDR I've seen so far.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:11 PM   #1030

A few from L.A.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bay006979.jpg (100.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg bay007419.jpg (87.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg bay008255.jpg (101.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg bay008301.jpg (78.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg bay008360.jpg (57.7 KB, 6 views)
Old 04-18-2014, 08:14 PM   #1031

One more from the series with the guy in the gorilla outfit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bay008362.jpg (66.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 04-19-2014, 08:40 AM   #1032
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
Sell it somewhere... A local lifestyle magazine or something. It's a really nice composition, and best use of HDR I've seen so far.
It really does illustrate that HDR can enhance many photos. Well done!
Old 04-19-2014, 09:58 AM   #1033

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
It really does illustrate that HDR can enhance many photos. Well done!
It can enhance photos in certain conditions,but it doesn't really do anything for most photos. Been playing with it, now that I have Linux up and running on a photo dedicated box, and I'm still not impressed. its doing nothing more than layering different exposures, which can be done in PS style editors. It merely automates the process, which is nice, but appears to be limiting creative choices - at least with the version Ive been using; and I admit I've not explored it much, so I may be missing some things. So far, I think I'd prefer setting up the masks and doing it in PS without HDR software. That opinion may change with time, though.

Attached a flower shot I took who-knows-when with an old Sony DSC. (First digital was an Argus 1MP lol)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flower.jpg (386.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 04-19-2014, 10:54 AM   #1034
Give me a forum ...

HDR is more for enthusiasts.

Most people won't carry a tripod to shoot bracketed photos or spend the time and money to post-process HDR.

I think most people would be content with in-camera HDR as "good enough," especially since they don't need tripods or another piece of software.
The Photographers' Corner
Old 04-19-2014, 11:05 AM   #1035

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1397927132.958904.jpg (797.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 04-19-2014, 11:09 AM   #1036

"Most people won't carry a tripod to shoot bracketed photos or spend the time and money to post-process HDR."

Yea - these tripods can be cumbersome to carry...

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1397927373.324129.jpg
Old 04-19-2014, 11:15 AM   #1037
Moderator Emeritus

I've been too busy to take any shots lately, but I just finished building my hand tool chest, and took a few shots of it with my shop lighting
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140419-DSC_0209.jpg (441.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20140419-DSC_0208.jpg (541.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20140419-DSC_0210.jpg (600.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 04-19-2014, 11:16 AM   #1038

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post

Yea - these tripods can be cumbersome...
Not to mention the bulky large format camera, portable darkroom, and all those wet plates

But kidding aside, it's pretty neat to see how sensor performance has made it possible to handhold in more situations than before. As very much a casual enthusiast (with the emphasis on casual), I just hate carrying gear around!

Old 04-19-2014, 11:23 AM   #1039
Give me a forum ...

Not just casuals who don't want to lug gear.

Look at how more people are getting mirrorless, either to complement their DSLR kit or to replace it.

I just returned from a trip to Corsica. Packed a tripod but used it once. Was lugging around my camera for 5-7 miles a day, mostly on non-flat terrain. My tripod is light but if I took it with me all the time, my back and shoulders would have felt it.

Not to mention, if I stopped to set up the tripod and take brackets, it would have slowed me down. So the choice is either to take shots for brackets on tripod or keep going, covering more ground.

Some of the most scenic shot opportunities were on boat cruises that navigated to inlets, coves, grottoes. No chance for tripods there.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:29 AM   #1040
Moderator Emeritus

The urbanscape photo I posted above was taken handheld using bracketed shots on the rather compact Fuji X100S.

Playing with HDR, I am learning that a light hand is usually better for the kind of results that I am looking for. One vexing drawback is the frequent presence of artifacts in HDR composites (ghosting, halos, etc...). Some can easily be fixed, others not so much.
Closed Thread