The Photographers' Corner 2013-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Photographers' Corner

Just for fun, here's the same photo using DWs POS P&S. The color balance is off, because I can't synch an off camera flash, so I used a low wattage modeling light - but that color balance could be changed in photoshop, or changing the light source to a more powerful tungsten light bulb. Also, not as sharp: I was handholding it a lower shutter speed because the modeling light I used was no very strong. Again, just use a stronger light. The camera was in automatic mode set to f8.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1398813335.517827.jpg

Obviously the sharpness is not the same, but I think it does make the point that the camera doesn't make a great difference. Lens, yes. But there's no reason to upgrade from your Canon.

Except that you really really want to...

Last edited:
Interesting. Without putting them side-by-side other than the color tinge not a whole lot jumps out as being different.

NEVER show this to your DW... Lol

Also, the picture could have been improved on had I used the P&S manual mode. I was just in too much of a hurry to figure it out.

Last edited:
NEVER show this to your DW...

Funny, not sure she would get the difference.....but in the end she would like the result. Then I would blame it on you guys....keep posting..I ma learning.

BTW, probably been covered, ...where do you post your pics to link to this forum for posting?

Certainly a whole lot more noise in the shadow areas when you look at the bigger size image but to many viewers, that wouldn't matter.

When I first made the leap from film to digital, all I had was a cheap POS P&S, as seraphim puts it :) Hanging out on the various forums, I was amazed to see that a few creative souls made beautiful images with a definite "wow" factor using the exact same 4MP point and shoot.

It was quite an eye opener.

BTW, probably been covered, ...where do you post your pics to link to this forum for posting?
You can either upload them directly as an attachment using the advanced features when you click on the "go advanced" button or, if you want to host them off-site, you can use the photo site of your choice and enter the direct link using the "insert image" icon. I use Pbase to host my images. Most seem to use Flickr or Photobucket.

As Major Tom noted, under the "advanced" button. You may have to scroll down a bit and you'll see a "Manage attachments" button. Click that and it'll open a window to select the file from your drive. I export from Lightroom and keep the file sizes small (700 pixels on the long edge) to reduce uploading time and bearing in mind that not everyone has broadband.

It used to irk me no end when I was on dial-up and some sites were simply unusable because of the huge image file sizes.

My father's 8mm movie projector that I inherited. It hasn't been run for at least 20 years. I'd like to see it cleaned up but it really needs to be disassembled for that. Not sure I could get it back together again.

Lighting (except for the macro shots) was with two strobes on umbrellas. I don't have softboxes yet but they're on my wish list.

I'm going to try making a small softbox for the macro shots, maybe out of a Kleenex box or something. I think it was on the Strobist site I saw instructions for that. Or I'll just Google it and find something. But I'd like to get a softer-looking light for the macro shots of hard objects that have some depth to them.

Attachments

• 8mm_projector-1.jpg
    8mm_projector-1.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 8mm_projector-3.jpg
    8mm_projector-3.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 8mm_projector-4.jpg
    8mm_projector-4.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 8mm_projector-5.jpg
    8mm_projector-5.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 10
My father's 8mm movie projector that I inherited. It hasn't been run for at least 20 years. I'd like to see it cleaned up but it really needs to be disassembled for that. Not sure I could get it back together again.

Lighting (except for the macro shots) was with two strobes on umbrellas. I don't have softboxes yet but they're on my wish list.

I'm going to try making a small softbox for the macro shots, maybe out of a Kleenex box or something. I think it was on the Strobist site I saw instructions for that. Or I'll just Google it and find something. But I'd like to get a softer-looking light for the macro shots of hard objects that have some depth to them.

Given that even more recent slide projectors no longer have bulbs available since there is little use for such today, check the bulb and see if you can buy them today. Without a working bulb the projector is just a white noise generator.

Given that even more recent slide projectors no longer have bulbs available since there is little use for such today, check the bulb and see if you can buy them today. Without a working bulb the projector is just a white noise generator.

I saw that one coming years ago and stocked up on them. I have three and that should be enough.

Walt - I made my own soft box - just made it out of a cardboard box, and cut out most of the top and sides and taped on tracing paper to the openings.

Part of the issue is that for a lot of depth of field I need a small aperture which means "lots of light". A softbox that is too big means a lot of the light is thrown away. I guess I could just use one of those small desk lamps and put the camera on a tripod.

This image of the sprocket is the one I shot first, what caught my eye was the reflection of the leader in the polished metal. That was at f/4, the one in the group was f/22.

Attachments

• 8mm_projector-2.jpg
    8mm_projector-2.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Walt - the shots in your group look great to me. But you're right - you need a small aperture to shoot subjects like the projector with a lot of depth of field - and to shoot at f22 you'll need a ton of light for a soft box. In my case, a lot of light is lost going through the tracing paper as well. I know what you mean about wasting light - you almost need a custom soft box just big enough to house your subject

A softbox that is too big means a lot of the light is thrown away. I guess I could just use one of those small desk lamps and put the camera on a tripod.
Or you could purchase a higher-powered studio strobe. Not that I'm trying to encourage you to spend more money on your hobby :D

The tripod idea sounds like a good one actually.

Walt

Nice shots.

Why do you need to diffuse light for the projector? Direct light from the bulb will give you sharper and deeper shadows. Try it without the umbrellas - just straight from the flash. Try just one flash, then use a piece of foamboard or wrinkled aluminum foil to reflect light into the shadows. I think you might like the direct light better. You'll be able to use a smaller aperture as well, since you lose power diffusing light.

Last edited:

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1398900882.411221.jpg

The only time I use an umbrella or soft box is if I'm doing a portrait, or working with a subject with a lot of reflective surface, and want broad highlights. Otherwise, it's bare bulb.

(Excuse the poor iPad shot...)

Walt

Nice shots.

Why do you need to diffuse light for the projector? Direct light from the bulb will give you sharper and deeper shadows. Try it without the umbrellas - just straight from the flash. Try just one flash, then use a piece of foamboard or wrinkled aluminum foil to reflect light into the shadows. I think you might like the direct light better. You'll be able to use a smaller aperture as well, since you lose power diffusing light.

I dunno, I just like the softer lighting without the deep shadows. I do have three of those "five in one" reflectors and one stand to hold a reflector. The projector is sitting on one and another is behind the projector for the black background.

The R1 macro light kit does have a couple of diffusers for the lights, but you have to be very close, and about a 6"x8" or so panel diffuser so I'll try playing with all of those options and see what I get.

The "Nature and Wildlife" class starts next week so I'll post about that later on. I'm looking forward to it.

I dunno, I just like the softer lighting without the deep shadows. I do have three of those "five in one" reflectors and one stand to hold a reflector. The projector is sitting on one and another is behind the projector for the black background.

The R1 macro light kit does have a couple of diffusers for the lights, but you have to be very close, and about a 6"x8" or so panel diffuser so I'll try playing with all of those options and see what I get.

The "Nature and Wildlife" class starts next week so I'll post about that later on. I'm looking forward to it.

That's a good enough reason. Looking forward to hearing about the classes.

The small format doesn't do it justice:

13892062750_f1412a23fa_c.jpg

Fog, sunset, strange-looking clouds, the whole scene looked eerie. Taken with a Canon Powershot S110.

Last edited:
Nice shot FIREd - and there's the ever-present Sutro tower in the background.

I was about to give you a hard time for not using the X100S for that shot, but I'll go easy on you ;)

Nice shot FIREd - and there's the ever-present Sutro tower in the background.

I was about to give you a hard time for not using the X100S for that shot, but I'll go easy on you ;)

I took that shot before I got the X100S.:)

we are having a destination wedding in the dominican republic for my daughter on saturday. only camera going is our fuji x100s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom