Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 02:28 AM   #1341
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

just got back from the dominican republic. we had a destination wedding there for my daughter.

only took the fuji x100s

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2014, 02:32 AM   #1342
Give me a forum ...

Old 05-09-2014, 06:58 AM   #1343
Moderator Emeritus

Striking color!
Old 05-09-2014, 08:24 AM   #1344
gone traveling

That ain't Sandy Hook
Old 05-09-2014, 09:44 AM   #1345
Moderator Emeritus

Beautiful pics, mathjak. Look at the color of that water!
Old 05-09-2014, 02:46 PM   #1346

The colors do just pop out in that series. Terrific!

We have a robin's nest under the deck again this year. When the eggs hatch I'm pondering how to best light it with flash. It's fairly dark under there even on a bright day since the only light is reflected from the ground or the house. I'll need a fast shutter speed to freeze the movement since they move so much. I have three SB-900s, three light stands, two umbrellas, three reflectors, two large and one small, and one reflector stand. I'd like to use diffused light since the direct flash is harsh.

Since the area to be lit (okay, lighted) is so small I'm thinking the umbrellas would be of limited value and hard to keep from blowing over in the slightest wind anyway. Another thought is to get some pieces of white poster board or foam board and staple that to the wood structure of the deck, then reflect the flashes off that. The ones I shot today were in ambient but at slow shutter speeds and ISO 800 and of course that won't work later.

The image with the worm I shot a few years ago but with direct flash. Set the timer on the camera to fire about every 45-60 seconds for ~45 minutes (about all the flash batteries are good for at full power) and I get a few keepers out of the series. I'd like to get better lighting this time. It has to be done that way since if I get within view of the nest the birds leave until I do but don't seem to mind the camera being there.

Suggestions on lighting?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Robin_nest-1.jpg (149.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Robin_nest-2.jpg (140.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Robin_nest-3.jpg (165.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg feeding.jpg (179.5 KB, 13 views)
Old 05-10-2014, 01:23 PM   #1347
Moderator Emeritus

Wow - that first shot had me confused until I saw the mirror.

Tried an HDR - 3 shots at regular, plus 2 and minus 2 ev - processed in photomatix. Livingston County courthouse, Pontiac, Illinois on a mini route 66 tour

Old 05-10-2014, 09:38 PM   #1348
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Buying around Pennsylvania enroute to the Catskills. Don't have wifi yet to upload DSLR photos, but here's a couple iPhone shots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (757.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 05-10-2014, 10:34 PM   #1349

From campsite
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (532.9 KB, 11 views)
Old 05-10-2014, 10:36 PM   #1350

Dogwood
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (681.1 KB, 10 views)
Old 05-11-2014, 03:45 AM   #1351
Give me a forum ...

nikon d800 105mm vr with extension rings,nikon r1c1 flash system

Old 05-11-2014, 09:48 AM   #1352

Walt. Really like the worm shot ...
Old 05-11-2014, 10:41 AM   #1353
gone traveling

Looking forward to more shots from your adventures, Seraphim. Lovely campspot (I'm assuming you are doing the camper thing?) ... something about that insect shot is particularly intriguing.

Meanwhile, we are not done with snow here.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:17 PM   #1354
Moderator Emeritus

From my hike in the redwoods yesterday:

Old 05-11-2014, 04:23 PM   #1355

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Wow - that first shot had me confused until I saw the mirror.
You weren't the only one! Several relatives commented that it threw them too for a moment.

Quote:
Tried an HDR - 3 shots at regular, plus 2 and minus 2 ev - processed in photomatix. Livingston County courthouse, Pontiac, Illinois on a mini route 66 tour
It has an almost paintlike feel to it. Apply even a modest amount of Photoshop oil paint filter, print it on canvas, and it could probably pass at least at first look.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:39 AM   #1356
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

had to finally get the wife a fuji x100s too. just ordered it this morning. she was not happy with her canon sd880 point and shoot shots on the trip.

b&h had a pretty good deal with quite a few things thrown in and 4% reward points.

i find unless i am shooting action or low light i take the fuji more often than my d800 and all the lenses.

she uses a d7000 which will get less use now too.

the nice thing is they look like old film cameras and do not attract the eyes on them like our big regular gear. this is a big plus.

we will go to harlem next weekend and do a photo tour and having un-assuming cameras is a good idea.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:42 AM   #1357
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
You weren't the only one! Several relatives commented that it threw them too for a moment.

It has an almost paintlike feel to it. Apply even a modest amount of Photoshop oil paint filter, print it on canvas, and it could probably pass at least at first look.
I definitely have to get photoshop. I've been playing with gimp, but need photoshop to augment lightroom for some more effects
Woohoo! Another new toy!
Old 05-12-2014, 08:37 AM   #1358
Recycles dryer sheets

Woohoo! Another new toy!

1st post on this thread. Have to preface with the fact that I am a picture taker, not a photographer, he-he. Most of my toys are bought and paid for, but there are still a few I am acquiring that I want before retirement. Now I can scratch a DSLR off of the list! After quite a bit of research and going with a recommendation from a fellow now retired firefighter, I went with a Nikon D3200 combo kit with the body, 55 and 200 lenses, bag, software, etc for $529 at Bestbuy. Also bought the wifi download/remote adapter on sale for $49. Pretty amazing for an entry level DSLR. Man, what a difference between it and my old Pentax K-1000, lol. Gotta keep it for nostalgia! My point and shoot has a Leica lens, which I like a lot, but I'm way too much of a novice to be picky about the Nikkor lenses.

One thing for sure, the more I play with it, the more I realize I have a lot to learn. I plan on taking a class or two or a few. It's a lot of fun just with the auto and programmed modes, so I bet manual modes will be a hoot when I get the hang of it.

Here is my first pic! Taken at the firehouse on auto mode about 7:00 AM CST despite what time the pic caption reads. We keep this old Seagrave war horse here for parts for our old parade truck...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0001.jpg (787.2 KB, 17 views)
Old 05-12-2014, 09:15 AM   #1359

Welcome to your DSLR Johnny. I used to use a K-1000 too, as well a Spotmatic and I agree - it is quite a difference.

Your first picture is much more interesting than the first one I ever took with a DSLR. Mine was a boring shot of the house across the street. It was simply the first thing I pointed my camera at after I got it out of the box.

Enjoy that camera!

Old 05-12-2014, 09:53 AM   #1360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I definitely have to get photoshop. I've been playing with gimp, but need photoshop to augment lightroom for some more effects
You can download a free and legitimate copy of Photoshop CS2 here. It's not the latest version, and it isn't supported any more, but it has been working fine on Windows 8.1 for me. There is a Mac version available too. It can't hurt to give it a try. I bought CS2 when it came out and then found that my copy on CD became useless when Adobe decommissioned the activation servers for it. It was at that point I downloaded the free version and have been chugging along on it ever since.

If you have a newer camera the raw converter may not work, but you already have Lightroom, so that's taken care of.

Closed Thread