Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 03:49 PM   #2061

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus_E_Expat View Post
Walt,

The 2 photos were taken about 90 minutes apart.
In the first photo, the green team (Melbourne) is fielding and the blue team (Brisbane) is batting.
In the second photo, Brisbane is fielding. The bowler is "Freddy" Flintoff - a very famous English cricketer.

Brisbane won the game on the last ball so an exciting and entertaining night.

The ISO was 1250 for the first photo (which was at about 6.40pm) and 2000 for the second photo.

Well, that tells you how much I know about cricket.

Impressive at those ISO's.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2014, 04:01 PM   #2062
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Walt,

The 2 photos were taken about 90 minutes apart.
With the same lens?
Old 01-02-2015, 07:32 PM   #2063
Recycles dryer sheets

Ron - yes, with the same lense, and 18-105mm.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:45 PM   #2064
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ron - yes, with the same lense, and 18-105mm.
Again, impressed. Still the 2nd image must be cropped quite a bit.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:44 AM   #2065
Give me a forum ...

I am currently using Lightroom version 5. I bought it as a disk and installed it on my computer. The problem I am having is that if I make changes on my laptop, they are not on my desktop computer and visa-versa.

Does the subscription version of Lightroom allow changes to be synced between two computers? If so, that might push me over the edge to buy a subscription.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:22 AM   #2066
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Does the subscription version of Lightroom allow changes to be synced between two computers? If so, that might push me over the edge to buy a subscription.
Off the top of my head, I am going to guess that you have to be working with the same Catalog (not at the same time, of course); either on an external hard drive switching between the two computers (as I do) or have the Catalog in a "Cloud" folder (which is what you are asking Adobe to do).

Nevertheless, in addition to the Adobe Lightroom Forum - https://forums.adobe.com/community/lightroom

there are a couple other places to get excellent advice that I highly recommend:

Lightroom and Photoshop Tutorials, Tips and Training by Laura Shoe

The Lightroom Queen - Tips, Tutorials & Troubleshooting for Adobe Photoshop Lightroom

However, the best (and fastest) help at this time is the Lightroom Help Group on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/groups/ligh...group/?fref=nf
(It is a closed Group so you must ask to join but they will welcome you with open arms.)

As an aside -- The absolute best Book on Lightroom v5 is written by the above Lightroom Queen:
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 - The Missing FAQ: Real Answers to Real Questions Asked by Lightroom Users: Victoria Bampton: 9780956003096: Amazon.com: Books
(Don't be too concerned about the price... it is worth every penny.)

EDIT:
Let me revise what I said above -- not only do you need to be working on the same catalog but also on the same image files.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:31 AM   #2067
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh! I got a little off track. The "Sync" function of the CC (subscription) programs syncronises the settings and such. This would make sense because the program is actually not on your computer -- your machine only refers to it. (That, BTW, is the advantage to the Subscription service -- you are always using the most up-to-date version.)

(FWIW, I subscribe to the full CC version -- I have access to all Adobe products. Nevertheless the LR/PS choice is an exceptional value if you don't need any of the other programs.)
Old 01-03-2015, 09:37 AM   #2068
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Oh! This would make sense because the program is actually not on your computer -- your machine only refers to it.

I don't mind the software being in the cloud.

But, my photos and the Lightroom adjustments should be on my computer so I never lose them. Otherwise, I am tied to Lightroom for life. Right? Or am I missing something.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:05 AM   #2069
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But, my photos and the Lightroom adjustments should be on my computer so I never lose them. Otherwise, I am tied to Lightroom for life. Right? Or am I missing something.
Oh! No. <chuckle> This is going to get involved so buckle up.

You are somewhat correct. The edits that you make in Lightroom can only be read by Lightroom so in that sense you are handcuffed to LR. However, you can copy the image (Adobe calls it "Export") to a new file and that can be read by any standard image reading/editing program.

Okay, let me explain. Lightroom does not alter your original images in any way. All LR does is keep a record of those edits and applies them to the visual rendering of the original.

This is how I have explained it to a person, in a LR Forum, who had deleted the original files thinking they were preserved by Lightroom's "backup" function:
Quote:
First, it is important to understand that there are no image files (what you call "pics") in Lightroom. The best (for me) analogy of the relationship of LR to the actual image files is the old library system of having a Card File in which each Book was referenced. Lightroom serves that function -- it only references the Image File.

However, to complicate things a little, LR treats RAW images somewhat differently than other types of images. LR creates a separate "sidecar" file for RAW images that contains all of your edits (including Metadata) and places that file in the same folder as the image file. With all other types of image files, LR places that data inside the Image File.

To further clarify, what you did was delete the actual Image File (the Book) without telling Lightroom (the Card File). Therefore, LR believes the file is still where it was but simply can't read it any more. LR's "backup" only saves those edits. It is, of course, a little more complicated than this but should give you direction on how to proceed.
In other words, while you can have Lightroom installed on two different machine, you need to be working with/on the same catalog referencing the same image files. The program and the files don't, necessarily, have to be on the same drive/folder but for two machines they have to be portable in some fashion.

Bottom line: Your edits will always (well, unless you delete the Catalog) be available to you... but only through LR. However, you always have the option to copy the files with the edits burnt in. In which case, it operates the same as all other image editing programs.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:17 AM   #2070
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
should be on my computer so I never lose them.
If your only copies are on your computer, you WILL lose them at some future time... and, as always, in such events, not at the most opportune moment. I, personally, have three copies of all my images (~100, 000) in three separate locations.

BTW, I use "Compare Advance" to sync all the changes made by LR -- the XMP files, name changes, etc.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:13 AM   #2071
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
If your only copies are on your computer, you WILL lose them at some future time... and, as always, in such events, not at the most opportune moment. I, personally, have three copies of all my images (~100, 000) in three separate locations.

+1

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-03-2015, 11:24 AM   #2072
Give me a forum ...

Of course my photos are backed up to several places.

What I don't want to lose are the Lightroom changes made to the photos. I guess I could export the photos in a TIFF format if Lightroom ever went away.

Isn't the subscription version of Lightroom still stored as software on one's computer? What one subscribes to is the updates, right. If one ditches LR, doesn't one keep the last updated copy of it?

Old 01-03-2015, 12:35 PM   #2073
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What I don't want to lose are the Lightroom changes made to the photos. I guess I could export the photos in a TIFF format if Lightroom ever went away.
The edits to your images are kept in a Lightroom File -- <file Name>.lrcat. LR makes provisions to back this file up (daily, monthly, every time you close, or never). This is the file you do not want to lose. Yes, if you want the "final" version of your image to be archived, you would have to save it. This is the same as all other image editing programs. Again, your original files are never altered by LR and they would always be available (well, independent of LR's future). Lightroom does create an .XMP with some edits for RAW files if you so select. These would be readable later by some programs, Photoshop for example.

Quote:
Isn't the subscription version of Lightroom still stored as software on one's computer? What one subscribes to is the updates, right. If one ditches LR, doesn't one keep the last updated copy of it?
I suspect, this is the real question... well, uppermost, anyway. No, the "full" program would not be installed on your computer. This means you need Internet access. (There is a provision in which you can temporarily work off line, however.) What one subscribes to is use of the program -- the "always current" is just an extra as a consequence of the program being at Adobe's location.

Therefore, if you stop paying, you stop using.

Decisions Decisions <chuckle>
Old 01-03-2015, 01:35 PM   #2074
Give me a forum ...

And speaking of the Lightroom Queen: She has a Free (well, you have to get on her mailing list) 76-page Quick Start Guide to Lightroom v5 at

Lightroom 5 - Free Quick Start Guide PDF eBook | The Lightroom Queen
Old 01-03-2015, 02:14 PM   #2075
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
The software runs as a local program on your computer. It periodically phones home to make sure you have the right license:

Quote:
It's necessary to connect to the Internet the first time you install and license your desktop apps. You can use the apps in offline mode with a valid software license. The apps attempt to validate your software license every 30 days. You see a reminder to reconnect to the Internet to validate your license, as shown below.

I believe the grace period is something like 99days. See

Internet connectivity, offline grace period, and reminders

After the grace period, I think adobe just doesn't let you launch the program.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:32 AM   #2076
gone traveling

Quote:

This is how I have explained it to a person, in a LR Forum, who had deleted the original files thinking they were preserved by Lightroom's "backup" function
D'oh !!!!!
Old 01-04-2015, 12:09 PM   #2077
Moderator Emeritus

Whipped up next year's Christmas card after this morning's snowfall ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1420398584.524180.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-04-2015, 12:37 PM   #2078
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronstar View Post
whipped up next year's christmas card after this morning's snowfall
Thumbs Up.gif
Old 01-06-2015, 10:22 AM   #2079
gone traveling

LOVE IT Ronstar!
Old 01-06-2015, 10:24 AM   #2080
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Ron & Mr. Paul!
Closed Thread