Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2020, 09:37 AM   #3441
Moderator Emeritus

Making a calendar of my old tool shots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-planes2.jpg (1,004.5 KB, 49 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2020, 09:51 AM   #3442
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That is absolutely a great picture!!
Old 11-28-2020, 09:59 AM   #3443
Moderator Emeritus

^Thanks! This indoor stuff will keep me busy through the winter.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:44 AM   #3444
Full time employment: Posting here.

RX7-20201121-00610-D.jpg

Shadows of Trees and Shadows on Trees. Taken while wandering in the City park looking for long shadows.

RX7-20201121-00624-E.jpg

Slight waves on the pond caused the distortion. Photo taken looking almost straight down while standing at the edge of the pond in the City park.
Old 11-29-2020, 01:30 PM   #3445
Give me a forum ...

Adobe Lightroom 12 month plan

Has anybody seen a better price than $120 for a 12 month Adobe Lightroom plan card? I have checked and so far all I see is the same price $120. Last year I found a deal for $90. So far this year, nothing like that, or maybe I missed one.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 11-29-2020, 01:34 PM   #3446
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Has anybody seen a better price than $120 for a 12 month Adobe Lightroom plan card? I have checked and so far all I see is the same price $120. Last year I found a deal for $90. So far this year, nothing like that, or maybe I missed one.
Yeah I haven't seen it either.

One thing I've heard is that if you pay month to month you pay sales tax?

I've only used the 12-month prepaid subscription and never paid the tax.

So even if you don't get it on discount, you may save on sales taxes?
Old 11-29-2020, 03:22 PM   #3447
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Yeah I haven't seen it either.

One thing I've heard is that if you pay month to month you pay sales tax?

I've only used the 12-month prepaid subscription and never paid the tax.

So even if you don't get it on discount, you may save on sales taxes?
I buy mine thru Amazon for $9.99 a month. NO sales tax charged. I charge it to my Amazon Visa so I get 5% cash back on amount charged.
Old 11-29-2020, 03:37 PM   #3448
Recycles dryer sheets

Here's one of my favorite photos I've ever personally taken.

Our Florida Vacation 2007 356 (resized).jpg

This was taken from Mallory Square in Key West. Just after I snapped this photo this old lady sitting in front of us turned around and said, "Why do all those boats have to be out there? They're ruining the sunset!"
It would have been just another sunset on the ocean photo without the ships.

-AM23
Old 12-09-2020, 10:39 AM   #3449
Moderator Emeritus

Anyone have their own photo printers? I'd like to print 11x14 B&W and color prints, calendars, and some maps.

Ordering prints is becoming a pita.

Anyone have any recommendations for a personal home photo printer?
Old 12-09-2020, 11:52 AM   #3450
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I have used an Epson Stylus Pro 3880 (discontinued) since 2013 ($850). I go through about $600 worth of paper a year (Red River Paper) -- plus the Ink is not cheap either.

The cost may be a wash but the control is worth the effort.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:05 PM   #3451
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You may want to consider framing 4K TVs and displaying your photos using the media players built into the TVs from a USB stick. With prices dropping below $200 for 4K TVs, plus the cost of a frame, it's a better option than buying a Samsung "The Frame" or printing photos.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:40 PM   #3452

I've been very happy with the Canon Pixma Pro-100 that I bought several years ago. At the time it had a $300 rebate on a (then) $400 printer, which I'm sure they've made up on the cartridges I've bought since then. But like the Epson 3880, it will print gallery quality prints. Two limitations are that the maximum size of prints are 13" x 19", and it is slow. It'll take maybe 5 minutes for a 13" x 19". For home use the slowness is not an issue (for me anyway) but sometimes I've wished I could print larger prints. But the costs of a printer capable of larger sizes go way above what I'm willing to pay for a printer that would see only occasional use.

I do love the prints though!
Old 12-09-2020, 12:52 PM   #3453
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
You may want to consider framing 4K TVs and displaying your photos using the media players built into the TVs from a USB stick. With prices dropping below $200 for 4K TVs, plus the cost of a frame, it's a better option than buying a Samsung "The Frame" or printing photos.
Very true that. However, a hundred years from now no one will see them (arguably). Paper (and many copies) is forever.
Old 12-09-2020, 01:07 PM   #3454

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Very true that. However, a hundred years from now no one will see them (arguably). Paper (and many copies) is forever.
I have a B&W class photo from my mother's 2nd grade class from 1920, complete with potbelly coal stove in the rear of the classroom. It's doubtful that many digital-only photos will last through the next century.

Canon claims that prints made on their printer with their inks, on their paper, and properly stored and displayed will last that long and longer. There is a guy who studies those longevity claims, I forget his name at the moment, who's research so far bears out the claim. It's one of the reasons I spring for the Canon inks, as I do know that a lot of effort goes into formulating the inks and papers so they play nice together.

Several years ago one of the photo magazines (no longer in print) did a two-year test of ink/paper combinations. Not surprisingly the differences between the cheap OfficeMax type photo paper and the name brand stuff was pretty stark, especially under horrible storage conditions like exposed to all day daylight every day. The cheap stuff began to fade in mere weeks.
Old 12-09-2020, 01:41 PM   #3455
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I have a B&W class photo from my mother's 2nd grade class from 1920, complete with potbelly coal stove in the rear of the classroom. It's doubtful that many digital-only photos will last through the next century.
Those black and white photos have a very long life that historians must love. Thankfully they didn't turn to color in the 1930's.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Calvin black and white world.gif (78.8 KB, 48 views)

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 12-09-2020, 02:08 PM   #3456
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Those black and white photos have a very long life that historians must love. Thankfully they didn't turn to color in the 1930's.
LOL
Old 12-09-2020, 02:12 PM   #3457
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I have used an Epson Stylus Pro 3880 (discontinued) since 2013 ($850). I go through about $600 worth of paper a year (Red River Paper) -- plus the Ink is not cheap either.

The cost may be a wash but the control is worth the effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I've been very happy with the Canon Pixma Pro-100 that I bought several years ago. At the time it had a $300 rebate on a (then) $400 printer, which I'm sure they've made up on the cartridges I've bought since then. But like the Epson 3880, it will print gallery quality prints. Two limitations are that the maximum size of prints are 13" x 19", and it is slow. It'll take maybe 5 minutes for a 13" x 19". For home use the slowness is not an issue (for me anyway) but sometimes I've wished I could print larger prints. But the costs of a printer capable of larger sizes go way above what I'm willing to pay for a printer that would see only occasional use.

I do love the prints though!

Thanks for the comments! I briefly looked at the canon Pixma Pro-100. Amazon has it for sale, but B&H says it is discontinued and that there is a Pixma Pro-200.

I need to dig into this a little deeper. I kinda like the 4K tv idea too.
Old 12-12-2020, 04:46 PM   #3458
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I use the Canon Pixma Pro10 (not 100).
It's a pigment-based printer, unlike the 100, which is dye-based, I believe. Like one of the forum members above, I got it at a deep discount with a rebate. 99$ as I recall and it came with two boxes of 11x14 paper.
I LOVE this printer. I can do a flurry of printing, let it sit for a month, and then come back to it and it takes up where I left off and prints like a charm!
This is UNLIKE my retired Epson R2400, which made absolutely stunning prints when I wasn't trying to unclog the cartridges. Talk about a PITA! The $$ I spent on that machine...ah, well.
Also I do use third-party inks (Precision Colors) in the Canon Pro10, with fantastic results. I have two sets of cartridges. When one cartridge of the set currently in the printer goes empty, I simply insert the other topped-off "standby" set that I keep at the ready; all 8 (9?) cartridges. This saves a ton of ink, since, as you know, whenever you replace a cartridge, the printer goes through a purge cycle. So, far less purge cycles equals lots of ink saved and $$ saved.
Did I mention I love this printer?! LOL.
I also use Qimage to do all my printing. Excellent software.
Also, this guy knows a ton about printers and printing (but sometimes touts his expertise a bit TOO much): https://www.youtube.com/user/cheo1949
Old 12-12-2020, 05:04 PM   #3459
Give me a forum ...

I have the opposite question for printing.

What kind of printing services do you use for things like books, large prints?
Old 12-12-2020, 06:58 PM   #3460
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I have the opposite question for printing.

What kind of printing services do you use for things like books, large prints?

I use Bay Photo for large prints, and I’ve done a couple of books through Blurb.
Closed Thread