Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-05-2023, 12:50 PM   #941
Moderator Emeritus

Location: Just north of the 41st parallel, near the 88th meridian west.
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
…..Another suggestion is to try to get in a tour around noontime, as that's when you get the most light down there.
And I believe it only happens at certain times of the year. I was there late march or early April
Attached Images
File Type: jpg utah-2.jpg (950.8 KB, 36 views)
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2023, 01:38 PM   #942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
And I believe it only happens at certain times of the year. I was there late march or early April
Didn't realize that. I was also there in early April and it was almost magical.
Old 06-25-2023, 09:36 AM   #943
Confused about dryer sheets

A fun night for a launch photographer.
Main reason for post is to explain how I uploaded the picture. Make a Flickr.com account. Upload your picture there. Then open the picture and hit the share icon. Click on the BBcode option. Then copy the link you need for this forum to display the picture.
This picture used the "large 1600x1067 option. I also modified the link to include my Instagram account.[IMG]Delta4HeavyJW503556 by Space Coast Pictures, Instagram[/IMG]
zoomie78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 10:45 AM   #944
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm trying Zoomie's technique with my last deep space object. M31, the Pinwheel Galaxy, with supernova SN2023ixf visible.

[IMG]LRGB_Small_Streched_Recombined_+Ha_Addition_Sharpe ned by Don Heffernan, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 06-25-2023, 10:49 AM   #945
Moderator Emeritus

Zoomie78, GREAT PHOTO!
Old 07-02-2023, 05:19 PM   #946
Confused about dryer sheets

Had the opportunity to place a remote camera near the launch pad of the Euclid Telescope launch. Camera is triggered by sound.[IMG]EuclidR3_04115 by John Winkopp[/IMG]
zoomie78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 06:00 PM   #947
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomie78 View Post
Had the opportunity to place a remote camera near the launch pad of the Euclid Telescope launch. Camera is triggered by sound.[IMG]EuclidR3_04115 by John Winkopp[/IMG]
Really neat shot!
Dave J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 06:31 PM   #948
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
Really neat shot!
Agree!

Tornadoes I filmed on June 24th

Old 07-16-2023, 05:39 PM   #949
Give me a forum ...

I have been using Light Room for years, but I really don’t use all its features and am growing tired of the yearly subscription fees.

Does anybody with a Mac use a good substitute for LR? One thing I need is the ability to do mirror wraps for the canvas prints I make for myself and friends. People love those mirror wraps on the four sides of the print.

Thanks.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Midjourney
Old 07-16-2023, 06:54 PM   #950

Midjourney

Maybe this is not photography, but you can make what look like photographs. I didn't see anyone had posted in ER about Midjourney, so I thought the followers of this thread might be the most interested.

Midjourney isn't the first ever AI art generator, but it's good enough for me to "waste" many hours in the Newcomer Rooms, watching the prompts and seeing what the AI generates. There's a lot of junk on there, but some amazing stuff too.

Quote:
A captivating close-up photograph of a pink orchid against a minimalist white background. The image should emphasize the delicate structure and exquisite beauty of the orchid, capturing its graceful form and subtle colors. Shot with a Sony Alpha a6600 mirrorless camera, using a 90mm macro lens, aperture f/2.8, to create a visually stunning image with precise details and gentle lighting.
And of course we have things like this...getting a bit too close to breaking the rules on that platform, maybe...

Quote:
queen Elizabeth smoking a cigarette

You need to get a Discord account and load the midjourney server. Takes about 10 minutes. Midjourney has trial accounts, but when I've tried, they say they are not available. I haven't shelled-out to try my hand at generating prompts, but have been wasting lots of time reading prompts and enjoying the images. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to block the users that are generating dozens of pages of kitty cat coloring book images and other non-interesting things.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 08:06 AM   #951

Chuckanut I switched from LR to ON1 a couple years ago. I also didn't want to do a subscription since I'll only process pictures a few times a year. ON1 has a sub. service and also a paid version.
Old 07-17-2023, 08:01 PM   #952
Give me a forum ...

Yeah I’m against subs too but I’ve had the CC subscription for 3 years now.

No I don’t use most of the features. I avoid Photoshop.

But now the talk is about AI features.

Adobe is making more money than ever. I wouldn’t be surprised if Capture One and others went full subscription though smaller companies may struggle to set up the infrastructure and billing.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 07:48 PM   #953
Moderator Emeritus

Not high quality, but whipped up a cell phone video of the Cheyenne Frontier Days rodeo.

Old 08-02-2023, 08:29 PM   #954
Give me a forum ...

Ronstar, that was excellent. Living in cowboy country there is rodeos every weekend. Then during the week there is team roping, bronc riding and steer wrestling at many of the local ranches here. All county seats, small towns have a rodeo also and they are all ways full and standing room only. A fun time!!!
All ways fun to go and watch, I know all most all of them which makes it more exciting.

Great video and thank You.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 04:55 AM   #955

We were in Alaska last month and were fortunate to have a view of Denali. It is regularly covered in clouds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0584a.jpg (834.9 KB, 49 views)
Old 08-03-2023, 05:41 AM   #956
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Ronstar, that was excellent. Living in cowboy country there is rodeos every weekend. Then during the week there is team roping, bronc riding and steer wrestling at many of the local ranches here. All county seats, small towns have a rodeo also and they are all ways full and standing room only. A fun time!!!
All ways fun to go and watch, I know all most all of them which makes it more exciting.

Great video and thank You.
Thanks - yes rodeos are a good time. I'm surprised that my DW is such a fan. I wish that there rodeos in northern Illinois, or that we lived on a ranch out west somewhere.
Old 08-03-2023, 06:35 AM   #957
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
We were in Alaska last month and were fortunate to have a view of Denali. It is regularly covered in clouds.
That is a beauty. Thanks
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 09:32 PM   #958

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
Nice! That would make a great desktop wallpaper.
homestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 07:24 PM   #959
Full time employment: Posting here.

Something a little different? Another hobby of mine is cooking... and EATING. Tonight grilled a Costco Filet. Wine was a 2019 Amici Cabernet. And yes, it tasted as good as it looked. No, maybe even better.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230804_190951[1].jpg (382.6 KB, 27 views)
Old 08-04-2023, 07:53 PM   #960
Give me a forum ...

Still processing deep sky objects captured on remote telescopes. This one is the Eagle Nebula subject of the iconic Hubble Pillars of Creation. Naturally I shot this one using narrowband sulfer, hydrogen, and oxygen filters, the so called “Hubble Palette.”

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6ABB7D1E-DCA8-448A-9DAD-D97A8D290204.jpg (383.2 KB, 25 views)