Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-06-2023, 11:40 PM   #961
Recycles dryer sheets

Waiting out afternoon thunderstorm on Lake Powell last Wednesday
River otters on the lake after storm passed
Juvenile vultures in Antelope Canyon
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_2121.jpeg (470.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_2126.jpeg (466.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_2408.jpeg (757.7 KB, 34 views)
tutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2023, 12:32 AM   #962
Recycles dryer sheets

Desert varnish on the walls of the Glen Canyon
Wild horse eating rivergrass
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_2253.jpeg (684.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_2319.jpeg (638.2 KB, 35 views)
tutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 06:43 AM   #963
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Very nice pictures thanks for sharing.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 08:54 AM   #964
Moderator Emeritus

Location: Northern Illinois - Just north of the 41st parallel, near the 88th meridian west.
Testing 150-600 lens wide open.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deer-3.jpg (653.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg deer-2.jpg (604.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg deer-1.jpg (511.1 KB, 26 views)
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 06:37 PM   #965
Moderator Emeritus

Nice shots, Ron. Such a beautiful animal...why would anyone shoot these?
Old 08-08-2023, 09:02 AM   #966
Moderator Emeritus

Location: Northern Illinois - Just north of the 41st parallel, near the 88th meridian west.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Nice shots, Ron. Such a beautiful animal...why would anyone shoot these?
Thanks - I don't know how anyone could kill deer either. Some do for food. Like my BIL. But I'd much rather have a beef steak than anything he made from his deer kills.
Absolutely Basic Question
Old 08-09-2023, 10:29 AM   #967
Give me a forum ...

Absolutely Basic Question

I have gotten lost in the Photoshop online community trying to find the simplest info out so I am coming back here since I assume many of you use PS and may be able to explain why I can't get what I need out of it.

I decided to try a creative cloud membership because I want to use a number of PS features I see in Astrophotography YouTube video. I often use multiple levels and curves adjustments as I combine a variety of components, right now, for example, overlaying some narrowband data over a basic RGB image.

So now I am looking at an image that is just like I want it, nice crisp blacks, good color, blah blah. But, if I try to do anything with it, e.g flatten the layers, export to jpg, I get a reddish tint on the output instead of the colors I see in PS. It feels like PS is useless, if I can make nice images on screen but not use them.

Any thoughts for PS newbies on how to deal with this?

Edit: I will try to upload two screenshots, one from PS as I am working on it and the second as the same image if I flatten layers. Hopefully the tint change will come thru
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot Photoshop.jpg (155.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot Flattened.jpg (140.9 KB, 19 views)
Old 08-09-2023, 11:08 AM   #968
Give me a forum ...

A follow-up on my post above, I just discovered that if I resize the image I can flatten or export without a color change. But I have no idea why. The original files are very large, this one was 127x78 inches wide at 72 pixels per inch. When I resized it to 40 inches, the flattened or exported image color remains as correct. This seems to work for reduction of ~20%+. For smaller size reductions the export or flatten tint effect seems to decrease as the amount of reduction increases.

What the heck is this all about?
Old 08-09-2023, 12:07 PM   #969
Moderator Emeritus

^^^That's weird, and I can't help you much. I reduce the reds in Lightroom by reducing the saturation of the red color.

I have the creative cloud subscription, and do most of my edits in Lightroom. But I do use PS for the clone stamp tool, content aware fill, and focus stacking.

Great shots, btw!
Old 08-09-2023, 01:10 PM   #970
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I have gotten lost in the Photoshop online community trying to find the simplest info out so I am coming back here since I assume many of you use PS and may be able to explain why I can't get what I need out of it.

I decided to try a creative cloud membership because I want to use a number of PS features I see in Astrophotography YouTube video. I often use multiple levels and curves adjustments as I combine a variety of components, right now, for example, overlaying some narrowband data over a basic RGB image.

So now I am looking at an image that is just like I want it, nice crisp blacks, good color, blah blah. But, if I try to do anything with it, e.g flatten the layers, export to jpg, I get a reddish tint on the output instead of the colors I see in PS. It feels like PS is useless, if I can make nice images on screen but not use them.

Edit: I will try to upload two screenshots, one from PS as I am working on it and the second as the same image if I flatten layers. Hopefully the tint change will come thru
More than likely it is a "color space issue" - you might not have assigned a color profile on export (or on the import)

For a good explanation on this and how to fix it, check out this youtube video:

https://youtu.be/mtIJLIM0uy0
Go-NoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 04:19 PM   #971
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go-NoGo View Post
More than likely it is a "color space issue" - you might not have assigned a color profile on export (or on the import)

For a good explanation on this and how to fix it, check out this youtube video:

https://youtu.be/mtIJLIM0uy0
Iíll take a look when I get back home. I saw a color space recommendation on the PS community site that recommended checking that some preferences was set to sRGB and mine was. I have a hard time figuring out how the image scale would play into this.

On the other hand, when I initially open the files (in Gimp or PS) I often get presented with a choice to keep the embedded color or convert to sRGB. I always select keep since I do photometric color calibration which uses star catalog data to calculate star colors in the image. I have no idea whether that creates some custom color space or not. Iím not even sure what a color space is. 😉
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 04:33 PM   #972
Give me a forum ...

Go-no go, thanks for the video link. That was a good introduction to color space. I will start looking at what I am doing in that regard from now on. I will have to see what PS interprets my embedded color space to be when I do photometric color calibration.
Old 08-09-2023, 07:45 PM   #973
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
^^^That's weird, and I can't help you much. I reduce the reds in Lightroom by reducing the saturation of the red color.

I have the creative cloud subscription, and do most of my edits in Lightroom. But I do use PS for the clone stamp tool, content aware fill, and focus stacking.

Great shots, btw!

I rarely open Photoshop, which CRAWLS on my machine.

However, looks like Adobe is planning to add various AI features to PS, not so much LR.

But I have to say the AI noise reduction that they added to LR a few months ago is really effective.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 08:33 PM   #974
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post

However, looks like Adobe is planning to add various AI features to PS, not so much LR.

But I have to say the AI noise reduction that they added to LR a few months ago is really effective.
I've tried the new noise reduction a couple of times. I like it. I really like that Adobe keeps adding new features.
Old 08-09-2023, 08:40 PM   #975
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Iím interested in noise reduction. I will have to look into it. Lightroom looks like it has some nice editing features but it tries to suck up and copy everything I open with it. Is there any simple way to avoid itís primary file management function and just use it as a simple editor?
Old 08-10-2023, 12:14 AM   #976
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Iím interested in noise reduction. I will have to look into it. Lightroom looks like it has some nice editing features but it tries to suck up and copy everything I open with it. Is there any simple way to avoid itís primary file management function and just use it as a simple editor?
Doesn't copy anything. You import a directory or a single photo. It will be in the catalog file but it doesn't make a copy of it.

The non-destructive edits are stored in the catalog file and the RAW file is left untouched. It will save an .xmp file with all the edits you made.

Now, if you choose to convert it and save as a DNG, then it's saving an additional large file to the same directory as the source files, which could be on another volume.
Old 08-10-2023, 05:08 AM   #977
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

I could see the difference. Perhaps you were in Adobe color, not RGB. I use RGB and have never seen this happen. Agree that the image size should not matter.
Old 08-10-2023, 06:03 AM   #978
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Doesn't copy anything. You import a directory or a single photo. It will be in the catalog file but it doesn't make a copy of it.

The non-destructive edits are stored in the catalog file and the RAW file is left untouched. It will save an .xmp file with all the edits you made.

Now, if you choose to convert it and save as a DNG, then it's saving an additional large file to the same directory as the source files, which could be on another volume.
That helps. Having never used LR before, I found it confusing as hell. When I saw it trying to suck up my images I was afraid it might move them, copy them, or otherwise screw up the hierarchy I am used to. But it is reassuring that LR is completing non-destructive edits. So, I can mess around with it and export anything I like.

You mentioned saving as a DNG which I had to look up. I have never dealt with RAW files. I'm primarily dealing with 32 bit fits files in astro-processing software and exporting as 16 bit tifs for photoshop edits. In Lightroom, can I convert to DNG and then edit it with RAW editing controls? I assume the file will be missing a lot of data that would exist in a camera RAW file?
Old 08-10-2023, 11:55 AM   #979
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That helps. Having never used LR before, I found it confusing as hell. When I saw it trying to suck up my images I was afraid it might move them, copy them, or otherwise screw up the hierarchy I am used to. But it is reassuring that LR is completing non-destructive edits. So, I can mess around with it and export anything I like.

You mentioned saving as a DNG which I had to look up. I have never dealt with RAW files. I'm primarily dealing with 32 bit fits files in astro-processing software and exporting as 16 bit tifs for photoshop edits. In Lightroom, can I convert to DNG and then edit it with RAW editing controls? I assume the file will be missing a lot of data that would exist in a camera RAW file?
I've not used TIFF that much.

But a modern camera RAW file will have things like lens corrections or metadata for doing them automatically.

DNG is a more portable format than TIFF.

So the main advantage is that if you convert to DNG, it may be accessible and editable by more programs.

Also I believe the file sizes would be smaller than TIFF, even though it's not lossy.
Old 08-14-2023, 01:00 PM   #980
Give me a forum ...

They are laying fiber in our neighborhood. I am inspired by these hard working young men, digging by hand in 110F "feels like" temp (actual temp 96). I just feel like this captures their herculean efforts today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hardatwork.JPG (132.2 KB, 16 views)

JoeWras is online now   Reply With Quote