The Photographers' Corner 2013-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Toolman ... our bird feeder hangs from a branch and sometimes the little fellers will perch on that branch. That was taken from my living room. Have to replace those single pane windows one of these days but in the meanwhile :LOL:

Nice shot, Mr Paul. Yea, there are some beautiful shots here.

Taken on July near Seward AK. They say the glaciers are blue because they are really packed snow - not ice.

Camera Roll-15 by jglennhart, on Flickr

testing out the new 35mm 1.8 lens on dinner

Attachments

• dinner.jpg
    dinner.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 18
Here's a couple recent pics ... the first is an iphone pic taken on Monday and the snow shot was taken this morning with a Canon 5DMKII.

This doesn't really qualify for this thread, but I bet you all know. What's the best, free, non-proprietary place to store digital photos that can be selectively shared with others? I see a lot about Pinterest.

Thanks in advance!

This doesn't really qualify for this thread, but I bet you all know. What's the best, free, non-proprietary place to store digital photos that can be selectively shared with others? I see a lot about Pinterest.

Thanks in advance!
shutterfly and photobucket are a couple that I've used. Here's the link to my shutterfly page: https://curtspics1.shutterfly.com/

I have used both Photobucket and Flickr for many years and have had no problems. Flickr has fairly recently quadrupled their allowed amount of free storage to a level that would be difficult to attain in a single lifetime ;) and if there is a photo where resolution is critical I always use Flickr.

I think Photobucket is a bit more user friendly for the purpose you're describing.

Thanks for the recommendations, they're appreciated. It sounds like Photobucket is worth a look. I don't think it matters, but these are almost all analog snaps I will scan, some pretty old, like my first camera that my parents gave me. I was in single digits, age-wise, but very proud of it. It was a Polaroid (Swinger, maybe?). Tiny photos, but really nice images to keep :)

It may not matter to you, but be sure to read and understand the TOS for any photo sharing site. Many want all the rights (non-exclusive) to your photos. That means they can resell the photos to anyone willing to buy them from the site for any purpose.

It would irk me no end to see one of my photos used in an ad or magazine and knowing that someone paid for it but I didn't see a cent for my work.

Here's a pet - kind of. Took this shot at a horse farm in the area about a month ago. Had a rough time getting his head in the frame using my zoom, He ran up to me at the fence as soon as I got there - I think he was hungry.

Attachments

• horse6.jpg
    horse6.jpg
    545.4 KB · Views: 15
Photography seems to be a popular retirement hobby. So here is a thread dedicated to you, shutterbugs. Show off your photos, discuss techniques, and share tips! Rules: Please note that the community rules still apply here, including but not limited to: * Participants may not post affiliate links or links to direct others to any pages at their own commercial website or website in which they have a commercial interest, including informational pages. * "Blog Spamming" is prohibited. For a complete list of rules see here: Community Rules

Rested the camera on a bridge today.
Nikon D7000
Nikon - Zoom 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G AF-S ED VR
ISO 100 70mm 1/15

Attachments

• image-413947227.jpg
    image-413947227.jpg
    527.5 KB · Views: 21
Racing Sunset Storm in West Texas.

From Skyline Drive overlook in Davis Mountains State Park.

One of my HDR photos taken near sunset on 7/21/13. Canon EOS6D with Canon 24-105mm lens at 24mm. HDR combination of 7 auto-bracketed exposures at 1EV intervals.

Attachments

• 130721_IMG3609.jpg
    130721_IMG3609.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 32
Racing Sunset Storm in West Texas.

From Skyline Drive overlook in Davis Mountains State Park.

One of my HDR photos taken near sunset on 7/21/13. Canon EOS6D with Canon 24-105mm lens at 24mm. HDR combination of 7 auto-bracketed exposures at 1EV intervals.

I like that a lot. If you have a chance, could you post the 7 pics that were used to make up the HDR composite? I'd love to see how this works for this photo. I assume the bright parts are blown out in some, and shadows all black in others?

-ERD50

I like that a lot. If you have a chance, could you post the 7 pics that were used to make up the HDR composite? I'd love to see how this works for this photo. I assume the bright parts are blown out in some, and shadows all black in others?

-ERD50
Basically yes.

Original shots. Here are 5 of the 7 (5 seems to be the upload limit so I skipped the +/- 1EV shots). Still, it gives you the idea and you can see how sky and foreground details are lost in the middle exposure.

32-bit HDR file was created by Photoshop 6. 32-bit HDR file then processed with Lightroom 4.

Attachments

• 130721_IMG3609.jpg
    130721_IMG3609.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 17
  • 130721_IMG3610.jpg
    130721_IMG3610.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 130721_IMG3612.jpg
    130721_IMG3612.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 17
  • 130721_IMG3614.jpg
    130721_IMG3614.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 130721_IMG3615.jpg
    130721_IMG3615.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Today's first Thanksgiving guest

Nikon D5200
Nikon - Zoom 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G AF-S ED VR
ISO 800 300mm 1/250 F7.1

Attachments

• deer82.jpg
    deer82.jpg
    512.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Basically yes.

Original shots. Here are 5 of the 7 (5 seems to be the upload limit so I skipped the +/- 1EV shots). Still, it gives you the idea and you can see how sky and foreground details are lost in the middle exposure.

32-bit HDR file was created by Photoshop 6. 32-bit HDR file then processed with Lightroom 4.

Thanks - that really shows off the power of HDR, and your ability to see the possibilities. Very nicely done!

-ERD50

Thanks - that really shows off the power of HDR, and your ability to see the possibilities. Very nicely done!

-ERD50
Thank you.

Photoshop followed by manipulating the 32-bit file in Lightroom has "limited" HDR composite capabilities - but is often is good enough for my purposes as I'm not looking for an unreal effect, but rather to recreate what I could see with my own "high-dynamic-range" eyes - the brooding menace of the storm and the background gold skies of the setting sun.

But I do have some cases where I will need to use other software such as Photomatix to get what I really want. I'm still climbing that learning curve.

Sunsets and weather are great subjects for HDR.

Since I am pretty much doing "skyscapes" now it's an important tool for me.

Whaddya do all day?

Last edited:
Ice on the pond this am
Nikon D7000, Nikon - Wide Angle AF-S DX 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED

Attachments

• image-831559290.jpg
    image-831559290.jpg
    569.9 KB · Views: 12
Yesterday, DW and I went to our local resale shop. Along with a beautiful fake fur coat that she bought for $3, I couldn't resist this...

It came with all manuals, and a great padded camera/accessory bag.
Don't know if anyone here still plays with film cameras, but if so, you may recognize the Canon AE1. Everything seems to work fine, and it even had a few new rolls of film...

Anyway... enjoying this $4 investment. Next week gonna try a little retro photography. :)

Attachments

• AE1.jpg
    AE1.jpg
    562.8 KB · Views: 12
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom