Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 05:32 PM   #3361
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That is a great picture. We use to have some old pickups and trucks that where parked along river most likely in the 40's. I think all have got washed in during floods. I wish I would of taken some pictures of those old pickups.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2020, 05:41 PM   #3362
Give me a forum ...

I think this is the lizard that started it all. I've got a dozen of these guys around now from big like this guy to little itty bitty 1 inchers to medium 3 inchers.

But me thinks this is "fat daddy" that started it all!

But maybe that's "fat mama" with her eggs?
Old 10-12-2020, 09:16 PM   #3363
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
That is a great picture. We use to have some old pickups and trucks that where parked along river most likely in the 40's. I think all have got washed in during floods. I wish I would of taken some pictures of those old pickups.
Thanks - this was a unique place. Bunch of old buildings, trucks, tractors, etc in a few acre fenced in. I couldn't get in because a wedding party had reserved the place. I'd like to go back and get in there to take pictures of everything.

Here's the married couple posing for pics (taken by DW on her phone). They'll have a great wedding album with the backgrounds that were there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1898.jpg (491.5 KB, 34 views)
Old 10-12-2020, 09:22 PM   #3364
Moderator Emeritus

Couple of log cabins in the Smoky Mtn NP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg log cabin 1.jpg (1.25 MB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg log cabin 2.jpg (1.04 MB, 30 views)
Old 10-12-2020, 10:23 PM   #3365
Full time employment: Posting here.

Dinear54,
About 20 years ago a new coworker observed photos of my old bug in my office, and eagerly told me about an unrestored 67 double cab from CA that he had in his barn.

He brought pictures in later, and I offered him $10k for it. That probably was about the right price at the time. He almost looked scared, like he might have to sell it to me.
The next day he told me that his wife didn't want him to sell it.

I believe I heard he sold it off a few years ago. I didn't hear how much, but I suspect more like $20k. It would have been fun to have and drive. I think I like the looks of the single cabs better. I hope you are enjoying yours. It looks nice.

I'm considering another old bug, but so far I've held back getting one.

Take care, JP
Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat54 View Post
Picture of my 1956 VW singlecab pickup in the barn at the farm. Some post processing done from original.
Old 10-13-2020, 04:32 PM   #3366
Moderator Emeritus

Checked out an old steam tractor today
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 5.20.31 PM.jpg (958.8 KB, 25 views)
Old 10-16-2020, 09:57 AM   #3367
Give me a forum ...

Quick Question for the experts:

If one has a high resolution Camera, say 45mpx, and one wants to take lower resolution photos, say 20mpx for an application. Can one set these cameras to do so. I cannot see using the top resolution for every application.

Thanks in advance for you answers.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:57 AM   #3368
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post

If one has a high resolution Camera, say 45mpx, and one wants to take lower resolution photos, say 20mpx for an application. Can one set these cameras to do so. I cannot see using the top resolution for every application.

I am not sure of the question -- the term "application" has me confused.

If you are asking how to capture an image at a lower quality, this may be useful. Canon cameras (cannot speak for any other) give a choice of what they call "Image Quality." My 7D, for instance, has 8 JPEG quality settings and 3 RAW settings. The JPEG Quality ranges from 20mp to .3mp and the RAW from 20mp to 5mp.

I am, also, curious why one would not want to capture all images at the highest quality.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:06 AM   #3369
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

I am not a photography expert, but I am a computer expert. My mid-line, 10-year old camera allows me to change the resolution of the photos it takes, but I've set it at the highest resolution and never changed it. Why? Because I can always reduce the resolution when I'm saving or posting images, but you can never increase the resolution of a file. I considered recording smaller images when I went on my African safari, because I wanted to take a lot of pictures, but I wound up just buying a couple of spare SD cards instead, enough to hold a few thousand pictures at full resolution.

Long story short, if you don't have a favorite photo editing program, and it sounds like you don't, I suggest you just reduce the resolution with MS Paint or MacOS Preview. It is a very simple thing to do, and if you need advice I'd be glad to help.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:06 AM   #3370
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I am not sure of the question -- the term "application" has me confused.

If you are asking how to capture an image at a lower quality, this may be useful. Canon cameras (cannot speak for any other) give a choice of what they call "Image Quality." My 7D, for instance, has 8 JPEG quality settings and 3 RAW settings. The JPEG Quality ranges from 20mp to .3mp and the RAW from 20mp to 5mp.

I am, also, curious why one would not want to capture all images at the highest quality.
Simply because 45mpx is pretty high and takes up a lot of space. Holiday snaps do not need to be such high resolution. I am thinking with respect to the Canon EOS R5 specifically.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:10 AM   #3371

If you are keeping old photos on your camera's memory, I suggest moving them off after every shoot. If not to a cloud account, then to your computer's hard drive. You should have space for many hundreds if not thousands of photos. If not, memory cards are pretty cheap. I offload photos usually the same day I take them just because otherwise I wind up not doing it for weeks or months, by which time sharing them isn't as fun.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:16 AM   #3372

However, if you still want to do that, it looks like the instructions are on page 135 of the instruction manual.

EDIT: I'd paste the instructions here, but the manual provides lots of very helpful screenshots.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:32 AM   #3373
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
However, if you still want to do that, it looks like the instructions are on page 135 of the instruction manual.
THANKS! I think that does answer my question. I will have to check to see what each option is in actual resolution out of sheer interest.

Thanks again.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:32 AM   #3374
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Simply because 45mpx is pretty high and takes up a lot of space. Holiday snaps do not need to be such high resolution. I am thinking with respect to the Canon EOS R5 specifically.
I have been told that the only "bad" picture is the one not taken. Second to that is one that lacks the resolution required of needed crop. At 45mp, that is much less expensive than additional lens.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:35 AM   #3375
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Simple answer is yes you can. You can also take one high res and one low res at the same time so you have what you need for each use. So if you need lower quality to post to web, and still have high quality for further processing for that masterpiece you will surely take one day, you have both.
Old 10-16-2020, 12:14 PM   #3376
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

$4000 camera for snapshots?

Blow that dough!

Usually the newer full frame sensor cameras also have crop mode, that is it simulates what a cropped sensor would take and it's like half or less the resolution.

But as posted above, you can have it save in JPEG, which will be much smaller file size. Or you could have it save both a RAW and a JPEG file for each shot. Then keep the one you want.

But if you're buying a $4000 full frame camera, it's just a fact of life that you will need more storage. I have a bunch of USB drives now, which are cheap. You can get 4 TB now for about $100 if not a bit less. However, I want to consolidate and will probably get a big RAID storage system or an NAS. That would run $600-1500 to have tens of terabytes of storage.

However, I've been juggling portable USB drives with RAW files, which range from 25 MB to 50 MB. I have a Nikon Z7 which is 46 Megapixels. I only save RAW files from it which are about 50 MB. I have them on a 4 TB USB drive which I paid about 100 for. Still not full but getting there.
Old 10-16-2020, 02:37 PM   #3377

Most of the higher-resolution cameras do have the option of reducing file size, but as Cosmic Avenger correctly notes, why? Storage on SD cards is cheaper now than it's ever been and heading lower so that's no reason to skimp on resolution. And if storage is getting tight you can always reduce file size in post if you're sure you'll never need it higher.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:18 PM   #3378

I agree with others, storage is so cheap it shouldn't be a consideration. I shoot 4K video and have used up 6 terabytes of of storage in the past two years. I just archive my clips on 2 terabyte portable drives that cost about $50 each. The price for those drives are falling fast. Camera bodies come and go but I have found that most of my money has been spent on good quality lenses and filters.
Old 10-17-2020, 05:39 AM   #3379
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
I agree with others, storage is so cheap it shouldn't be a consideration.
SD Cards Yes, I agree, but not the new CF Express cards used in the newer 2 Slot Cameras. But that is not to say one cannot use the SD Cards.
Old 10-17-2020, 06:06 AM   #3380
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I don't do it in camera. I save to whatever file size I want in software. Adobe Lightroom.

My camera (Nikon D810) has 5 different settings for file output ranging from 5.95 mb to 110 mb. I suspect that many other cameras have similar options. I shoot in raw (43.4mb) to keep a high quality primary file and export out whatever I size I need for other apps using Lightroom.
Closed Thread