The Photographers' Corner 2013-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice! Can you get there when the light levels are lower so the end isn't blown out, and perhaps use a tripod when the light is low?
Thank you, and yes... that would have been the best way...:)

However, this covered bridge is in MO and I probably won't be visiting it again anytime soon. The pic was taken with my old digital camera. I do have a tripod, but didn't have it on the trip. I need to use it more often as my hands aren't as steady as they used to be.

When I take pics that tickle my fancy, I print them out in black and white...just love black and white. But with this pic, I think it needs to remain in color as the timbers look rather striking...at least to me.

Last edited:
Some from last night. That's I-70 in the background. All are 60-90 seconds exposure. Overall kind of disappointed in the results but that's how one learns.

Attachments

• Farm_in_low_light-1.jpg
    Farm_in_low_light-1.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Farm_in_low_light-2.jpg
    Farm_in_low_light-2.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Farm_in_low_light-3.jpg
    Farm_in_low_light-3.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 33
FYI only:

For those who are perhaps not aware of it, Adobe has gone to a subscription model for most (all?) of their imaging products. Without getting into a debate about the merits of that, until December 31 one can get Lightroom 5 and Photoshop CC for $10/month (okay $9.99) if you already have Photoshop CS3 or later. They say that will be the fixed price for the life of the subscription. At that price, compared to buying/upgrading the two products separately, one may feel that's a good deal. Or not. Anyway, info is:

Introducing the Photoshop Photography Program | Creative Layer

These are really good. I am thinking of taking up the hobby, I would find it very interesting and helpful if you could post the following along with your photos if it is not too much to ask. 1) Camera type (E.g: Canon 7D) 2) Lens type & "F" number (28-105 IS Canon) 3) Flash or not I do not want to disrupt the thread but do not know if it is appropriate to discus preferred equipment, but that would be helpful for us wannabees.

Pics this am for the web

Nikon D7000
Nikon - Zoom 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G AF-S ED VR
ISO-320 F9 @ 165mm

Attachments

• image-4247865373.jpg
    image-4247865373.jpg
    613.3 KB · Views: 28
  • image-2072456064.jpg
    image-2072456064.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 29
  • image-1227660618.jpg
    image-1227660618.jpg
    564.2 KB · Views: 34
Some very good photos on this thread so far. I have a Canon Power Shot A2000 IS, also one of the smaller Power Shots and an old HP. Here are a few of my favorite shots, most made with the smaller PS. {it fits in my pocket} The first two are of the old barn where I used to load cows with Daddy. Now it is so grown up you can walk within a few feet of it, and never know it's there.

084.jpg

102.jpg

These are of a storm front that came through late one afternoon back in the summer. They are in color, even though they look black and white.

096.jpg

103.jpg

109.jpg

Lightning strike over the neighboring hill:

Last edited:
Does anyone else use a monitor color calibration device?

I bought a Colormunki Photo a couple of years ago to calibrate the monitor (Dell U2410, ISP) and printer. The difference with in-plane switching on the monitor was immediately apparent the first time I turned it on and it got better after calibration. I was so impressed with this that I bought a Colormunki Smile for my younger sister to go with a new camera she'd bought. According to some reviewers there wasn't much different between results with that $99 device and the $1,500 pro device.

Printer calibration was also easy, although I found that increasing the brightness setting in Lightroom produced prints that more closely matched, to my eyes at least, what I see on the screen although I do brighten output a bit.

How about white balance settings on your camera? I use an Xpodisc to set a custom white balance - takes a few seconds - and have a Colorchecker that will set a custom color calibration for the camera and can also set camera white balance.

How about a graphics tablet? Anyone else use one of those? I'd get carpal tunnel syndrome without it.

I use an x-rite (formerly gretag-macbeth) i1 display calibrator. Seems to work fine. It didn't make that much of a difference (my monitor was already pretty decent) although when I try it on non photo-grade LCDs (or old CRTs) it makes a huge difference.

My printer has a built in calibrator and profiler (hp z series) but I don't really take advantage of it. I'm almost always printing on the manufacturer satin paper and I don't experiment much with others.

Regarding white balance, I almost never use a gray card (or expo disc) as most times I'm not concerned with color fidelity. I usually shoot WB in auto or manual and adjust afterward.

I had an early version of a wacom tablet but never really groked the use of it. To avoid carpel tunnel / repetitive strain I just switch hands for mouse use (now I'm more comfortable as a leftie)

Lightning shots are always impressive. Unless one has a lightning trigger the timing is always hit or miss.

I don't have a lightning trigger. I took about 200 pictures over the course of one hour and got only that one good shot... So yes, the timing was mostly miss for me.

Does anyone else use a monitor color calibration device?

I bought a Colormunki Photo a couple of years ago to calibrate the monitor (Dell U2410, ISP) and printer. The difference with in-plane switching on the monitor was immediately apparent the first time I turned it on and it got better after calibration. I was so impressed with this that I bought a Colormunki Smile for my younger sister to go with a new camera she'd bought. According to some reviewers there wasn't much different between results with that $99 device and the $1,500 pro device.

Printer calibration was also easy, although I found that increasing the brightness setting in Lightroom produced prints that more closely matched, to my eyes at least, what I see on the screen although I do brighten output a bit.

How about white balance settings on your camera? I use an Xpodisc to set a custom white balance - takes a few seconds - and have a Colorchecker that will set a custom color calibration for the camera and can also set camera white balance.

How about a graphics tablet? Anyone else use one of those? I'd get carpal tunnel syndrome without it.

I calibrate my monitor (iMac) using the internal display calibration tool. I don't print pictures anymore, so I don't have to calibrate my printer. I use the white balance presets on my camera and do any necessary adjustment afterwards. And while I do have a graphics tablet, I never use it as I only do very minimal image processing.

Last edited:
Took this today - Nikon D5200 w11-55 mm lens, at 29 mm, f8, 1/400 sec ISO 100, accidently with white balance at incandescent

img_1359274_0_e37d3bf16b42410682d474f838c929e7.jpg

Photography seems to be a popular retirement hobby. So here is a thread dedicated to you, shutterbugs. Show off your photos, discuss techniques, and share tips!
My pic today Nikon D7000 Nikon - Zoom 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G AF-S ED VR (250mm hand held) ISO 400, F5.6, No Flash 1/100 shutter

Attachments

• Animal-Sept-21-2013-D.jpg
    Animal-Sept-21-2013-D.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Took this today - Nikon D5200 w11-55 mm lens, at 29 mm, f8, 1/400 sec ISO 100, accidently with white balance at incandescent

In spite of that (or perhaps because of it) the image comes out looking good.

My pic today Nikon D7000 Nikon - Zoom 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G AF-S ED VR (250mm hand held) ISO 400, F5.6, No Flash 1/100 shutter

I also have that lens and like it. It was on the camera (good thing!) when I saw a C-5 approaching the airport and grabbed these. And the sky really was that color.

Attachments

• C_5_on_approach-1.jpg
    C_5_on_approach-1.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 22
  • C_5_on_approach-2.jpg
    C_5_on_approach-2.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 17
  • C_5_on_approach-3.jpg
    C_5_on_approach-3.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 21
  • C_5_on_approach-4.jpg
    C_5_on_approach-4.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 21
  • C_5_on_approach-5.jpg
    C_5_on_approach-5.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 26
Addendum: Because the above were "grab shots" they were shot aperture priority, aperture was F/14, shutter between 1/100 and 1/30, ISO 400. There really wasn't time to look at settings. Had I the sense at the time I certainly would have opened up the lens.

Lightning strike over the neighboring hill:
Perfect timing.
Still trying to get one of those shots. I wonder if the clouds comma effect is due to the shock wave or just an artifact?

I wonder if the clouds comma effect is due to the shock wave or just an artifact?

Not sure actually. I had assumed that it was a rain band, even though it was not raining where I was at the time.

Last edited:

I also have that lens and like it. It was on the camera (good thing!) when I saw a C-5 approaching the airport and grabbed these. And the sky really was that color.

Great shots!

After a lot of research and talking with my niece's husband (a photo geek having the same lens), i ordered the 70-300 last night. Cant wait till it gets here.

Great shots! After a lot of research and talking with my niece's husband (a photo geek having the same lens), i ordered the 70-300 last night. Cant wait till it gets here.

I really wanted the "Nikon Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II".
But the 70-300 is a great lens, and much less money and weight.

Sorry - yes the one I uploaded was one that I corrected the white balance in processing to daylight.

Here is what it looked like raw

img_1359337_0_ba7a87ef000dc170de99180c126870ed.jpg

That's more in line with what I would have expected. Good job on the white balance correction, it totally saved that picture! I also like the composition. The leading lines created by the logs add a nice perspective.

That's more in line with what I would have expected. Good job on the white balance correction, it totally saved that picture! I also like the composition. The leading lines created by the logs add a nice perspective.

I have observed that after I take shots with my canon digital rebel xti, if I run them thru the Auto Smart fix in Photoshop elements they look better. Of course back in the bad old days of film, Etkachrome and Kodachrome were known for giving different color portrails, Etkachrome was bluer and Kodachrome was pinker. However having recently digitized some 60 year old slides the colors were still quite good. There were also some purchased slides that were on Eastman color film and they had all faded to shades of red.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom