Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-25-2014, 05:58 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I think it's pretty funny that a thread about the social side of RV'ing is now getting a lot of comments from folk who are talking about the anti-social side of RV'ing /...
I hope we are not scaring newcomers away.

I do make friends with neighbors, particularly up in my high-country home where hermits and introverts abound. Yes, we talk to each other about twice a year.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2014, 06:36 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I wouldn't call us introverts but I still don't know the names of the neighbors on either side of our house and we have lived here 14 years.
Fermion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:05 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
I wouldn't call us introverts but I still don't know the names of the neighbors on either side of our house and we have lived here 14 years.
That sounds like a Jeff Foxworthy-type one-liner as in, "You might be an introvert if you've lived in your house for 14 years and you still don't know the names of your neighbors!"

I'd classify myself as a big introvert (though not particularly shy) yet I do my best to find out a little about all my neighbors. I like to know enough about each of them such that I can briefly chat with them from time to time. It helps me feel a part of the area in which I live.

However, after the occasional brief connections, boy do I need my alone time!

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:05 PM   #24

I don't feel so mean spirited, now that other introverts have spoken up. We have met with members of other forums for a day or two at a campsite, but we're generally boon dockers. Heading out to the Catskills and then to Maine in a couple of weeks. A forum friend owns some land up there, and offered to let us camp there a few days. Of course, he'll be in Alabama at the time. He lives in his rig most of the time while he works.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:22 AM   #25

The Social Side of RV Camping - Rallies

It's interesting, how a majority of forum members - on different forums - claim to be introverts. Perhaps forums are about as close to social interaction as they want to come. If the conversation isn't interesting, we can walk away and no one really a knows.

Right guys?

.....Guys?
Old 04-26-2014, 09:21 AM   #26
Gone but not forgotten

Been a camper ever since age 7, so love the outdoors.

From about 1965 until now, (permanent campground camp) DW and I have been campers...
Early on, with young kids, in tents... canoeing and camping in the Adirondaks... scouts, and romantic canoe trips with DW... then later, in VW Westphalia, for ten years, almost every weekend in the summer. Then, even later, in a hightop camper..
From 1980 'til 1989, an ad hoc camping group of 8 to 10 families in the greater Chicago, Indiana, Wisconsin, Iowa Public and private campgrounds. Like minded, fun loving social groups... weekend trips to reserved "circle the wagons" campgrounds. Always with a theme... hiking, boating, swimming, or to areas where celebrations, shows or as in Wisconsin, the Thresheree... 800 antique tractors... We'd go for the Cananda geese flyway or for county fairs.
Fun loving people... common to wake up in the morning, and find a few of the men dressed in tuxedoes, napkin across the arm, serving coffee to sleepy eyed campers from a silver service.

Nights around the campfire.. roast pig or maybe stone soup... Ghost stories, games, skits, and always music. A mix of people, from High School Principal, to truck driver, to lawyer and nurses... no matter... Always fun, always happy, and in the 10 years of doing this, can't remember a harsh word.

Now, in our Florida community, nearly half of the people who live there have been campers at one time or another, and that spirit spilled over into the retirement life, so, in that sense, an RV mentality... There for fun, a classless society where everyone has a common goal of happiness in the retirement years.

The Friday night to Sunday afternoon camping respite was a wonderful counterbalance to the stress of the weekday challenges.

Social? Yes, but private too... not mutually exclusive.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:15 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
It's interesting, how a majority of forum members - on different forums - claim to be introverts. Perhaps forums are about as close to social interaction as they want to come. If the conversation isn't interesting, we can walk away and no one really a knows.

Right guys?

.....Guys?
Ssshhhhh - we're reading!

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:48 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I started reading this thread this morning and immediately understood why I feel so comfortable posting here. I'm about as introverted as they come. I searched the site for "introvert" and uncovered your poll showing over 90% introverts inhabit these pages! it's good to be home
Derslickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:35 PM   #29

+1
Old 04-27-2014, 02:40 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

There is a type of introverts who makes a lot of posts, yours truly being one as well as many frequent posters here.

But I am in total awe of the ultimate introverts who lurk for years, literally years, before making a single post, then go back into the shadow for some more years.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airstream, camping, rally