The Villages?

OpusX

Confused about dryer sheets
Any one live at The Villages in Fl? If so is it as nice as it seems? What are the drawbacks?

Don't live there but near there and go there once in a while for the entertainment. Seems like all old people. OK once in a while but every day too much for us. Don't play much shuffle board. Don't like public pools. Not much on golf. No privacy. Expensive. Crowded. Reminds me a little bit of the movie Soilent Green ::) Well you get the picture.

kowski said:
....... Reminds me a little bit of the movie Soilent Green ::) Well you get the picture.

Just don't follow the truck! Hey, it's time for lunch! :p

Hi, have only been buy it and through it...never stayed there...

As with some of the other "planned communities" around central Florida, I would look very closely at the TOTAL cost to live there...ie, all the HOA fees (do the good views pay more) .., golf on the big courses, taxes, cart fees, trail fees, and will all these fees just keep going up every year...

I know there are some mobile home golf communities who costs have risen greatly in the last several years at the mercy of the landowners who set the "lot rents."
Not sure how it works in the Villages, but somebody has to pay for all those extras, staff, buildings, pools, "free" golf courses, :"million dollar" club houses and so on...And yes, everybody there looked "old" to me, too!!!

I do hear via the grapevine that resales are not a problem, however, so someone must be watching those commercials!!
Ted

My husband's sister and spouse have lived there for 12 years, and they have really loved it. They have a home on one of the executive courses, and it has doubled in resale value. (And you definitely don't have a problem selling if you want to!)

There are a lot of trail fees, etc. and the area has grown so much in population that you are restricted on tee times on the 18 hole courses during the winter months, but the 9 hole courses are very inexpensive to play. The last time we visited, I sat out on the back porch a couple of mornings and watched the golfers play through. It's pretty obvious that many of the retirees only took up golf after moving there!

There is a restriction on how many days an individual under age 19 (I think that's the right age!) can spend in the Villages. I will say that there are many retirees in their early 50's, especially among those who come from the northern states.

As far as shopping, medical care, various recreational activities, you would be hard pressed to find an area that offers more.

I've driven through and met several older couples who live there. I have never heard as many rave reviews about any other retirement community.

It is also known for its solid, conservative, republican base, FWIW. But they are clearly doing something right. Everyone seems to love it.

Just spoke with a buddy that works in the Villages. He said sales are off 75%. There are 1300 completed units sitting empty right now. Just something to think about.

kowski said:
Just spoke with a buddy that works in the Villages. He said sales are off 75%. There are 1300 completed units sitting empty right now. Just something to think about.

Hurricane fear. Great time to buy if it's the sort of place that appeals to you.

Rich,

I don't think it's hurricane fear. Most of the country is on the other side of a property boom which ended last year IMHO.

I just sold/gave away my house in NY and it was not fun trying to sell it. I wanted to sell it last year but DW wasn't ready. Cost us a lot of $.

Because the place where the prisoner was kept was called the village. (60s British TV show about a secret service agent who retired early! :LOL:)

astromeria said:
Because the place where the prisoner was kept was called the village. (60s British TV show about a secret service agent who retired early! :LOL:)

Now there was an early retirement!

I think Patrick McG. got the retirement medical, since they seemed to put him under for free ;)

astromeria said:

Uhhhhh.......OK........thanks! Guess I missed that one.

Years ago, I worked a lot of hours and now have a whole world of missed TV shows and movies I can catch up on if desired........ :LOL:

we toured there, but I don't think it will be our retirement destination as our child who was living a few hours away moved out west.

What I saw as the plusses: lots of activities, restaurants, no driving, the ability to be very active as you age.
Minuses: lots of people dying due to the age group, more of a homogenous upper middle class white population with little diversity from what we could see. more chain type restaurants. Also, I would miss the seasons, although this week I am glad to be a few hours away from Buffalo. I thought housing was expensive for what you got.

yakers said:
Buffalo has seasons?
Two of them: August 16th and winter.

Six months in Ballston Spa from August to February... never again.

Opus X-

There is an article about the "Village People" in this month's Smart Money magazine. If you are really interested, you may want to pick up a copy.

Personally, I would feel as though I were living in "The Night of the Living Dead" if I moved there! :eek:

No offense meant! Just not for me! I like kids, bikes in yards, neighborhoods ......

Jane (who at 45 is still not of age to live in the Village!) :D

"Buffalo has seasons?
Two of them: August 16th and winter."

cracks me up. We also had a few days of fall this year.

by the way where I live we have over 200" of snowfall on average. Schools rarely close and businesses keep open. I still prefer the seasons to the constant summer or the southern summer heat.

Is this century village ?
I have relatives that live there and are very happy. It seems to me that most people living there are at the higher end of the retirement spectrum though. My sister newly retired at 55 bought in another community. The senior communites seem to sell at a discount to some of the regular communities and they do have lots of clubs and things to do.

OpusX said:
Any one live at The Villages in Fl? If so is it as nice as it seems? What are the drawbacks?

My wife's parents moved there (as snowbirds, stay 6 months each year) a few years ago. They love it there. Now again, they're also big into golfing, which is a huge thing in the villages. My impressions:

1. Most people are older. Of course as a retirement place, you would expect this. We saw a very large number of 50-60ish year old people, early retirement type folk. Her parents are 55ish, and while on the young side, most of the people I saw weren't dottering around.

2. It is very neat how you can drive a golf cart everywhere, no need for a car most of the time. Seems a bit silly, but it certainly makes people more active, more likely to run down the street to a park to sit around, etc.

3. Houses seemed nice, though of course they're a bit 'clone home' ish. Some people do extra gardening, which makes things look nice.

4. Of course the florida weather is pleasant (especially when you're used to the snow)

5. Lots of activities planned for everyone. There was always art classes, golf lessons, dances, etc etc. I imagine if you wanted, you could be pretty busy.

6. Seemed to be clean, well kept, etc.

My wife and I looked into purchasing (and renting out) a house. We ended up dropping it (other places to put our money showed up), but it certainly left a good impression when we visited (we were 26ish on our first visits I think).

Is this the same place that was hit by the tornadoes?

Back
Top Bottom