Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-22-2021, 06:01 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
It was $4k including taxes. Not cheap but I always wanted to check it out. I was surprised to be able to get a place just for January. I thought they'd hold out for a 3 month rental until well later in the year.

Good for you! Based on my experience, I think you will enjoy your time there.
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2021, 06:11 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A grand a week for Florida in January? Excellent deal!
Old 03-27-2021, 05:03 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Try renting for a winter before buying.
PoorOldCountryBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 01:34 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Better yet, rent for a summer. Cheaper, and you'll get a taste of what seven months of summer is like. Plenty of people like it (the state MVA offers a license plate that says 'Endless Summer'), and you'll learn if you are among them.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorOldCountryBoy View Post
Try renting for a winter before buying.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 06:21 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Better yet, rent for a summer. Cheaper, and you'll get a taste of what seven months of summer is like. Plenty of people like it (the state MVA offers a license plate that says 'Endless Summer'), and you'll learn if you are among them.

Good luck!
Summer and a transfer offer by Megacorp drove me out of S. FL.

Summer good: restaurants to yourself. Cheap golf. Low traffic.

Summer bad: drive through daily monsoon to restaurant. Can't play golf due to lightning. Road construction season. You don't know humidity until you've experienced August and September in S. FL.

And so on. So, yeah, I agree with Amethyst.

I still have a soft place in my heart for S. FL. If I go back, I'll turn on the A/C.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 07:49 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

It must be awful for golfers, tied to tee times. But I suppose it's a tradeoff for no golf at all during December, January, and February up north.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post

Summer bad: drive through daily monsoon to restaurant. Can't play golf due to lightning. Road construction season. You don't know humidity until you've experienced August and September in S. FL.

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 08:15 AM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
It was $4k including taxes. Not cheap but I always wanted to check it out. I was surprised to be able to get a place just for January. I thought they'd hold out for a 3 month rental until well later in the year.
Will be out there visiting Grandma and Grandpa with the kiddos in Jan. I like the villages for what it is but could never own there, or many other places that are great to 'visit'.

I am only 40, but when we ER ....and reach 55 which I believe is the age they let you stay/rent in TV...we will do a one month or 2 month stint, perhaps splitting months with family.

I could find things to be annoyed about in TV...but its just a place we visit and I try not to let that consume me. Life is too short.

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 08:27 AM   #68
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Winters in Florida are great. Summers.............no thanks. I don't do well in heat and humidity, so if I had to spend a summer here, I would probably spend way too much time inside, with the A/C running. I don't want to live like that, so I'll head north for the summer, where I can enjoy doing things outside (at least most of the time).
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 09:30 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It must be awful for golfers, tied to tee times. But I suppose it's a tradeoff for no golf at all during December, January, and February up north.
As a young man trying to save money, I played in the summer and dodged the storms. It was 4x cheaper and easy to get a tee time. Megacorp also had leagues. We looked like responsible people to certain private clubs, and they were more than happy to let us play a round of 9 in the late afternoon. Free money for the club by people who wouldn't abuse the course. They charged us $7 for 9 holes, which is about $18 today. We're talking courses that the PGA tour used from time to time. Bargain!

The problem was the storms. Somehow, we made it through with no casualties.

Winter golf is wonderful in FL but very crowded and expensive. My perspective today would be to Blow That Dough and go for it!

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 06:13 AM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Actually, golf in the Villages during summer is great if you play in the mornings. Tee times are plentiful and cheap, and if you finish before around 11am, the heat and humidity and tolerable. Another perk of RE!
boilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 06:19 AM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
Winters in Florida are great. Summers.............no thanks. I don't do well in heat and humidity, so if I had to spend a summer here, I would probably spend way too much time inside, with the A/C running. I don't want to live like that, so I'll head north for the summer, where I can enjoy doing things outside (at least most of the time).
Winters in the Villages and summers up north is ideal although many cannot afford that. We are fortunate enough to have a place up north in the mountains where its cool and spend 3 months there during summer.

Due to COVID, we spent this past summer in The Villages and got the full summer experience. Its brutal, but we adjusted and did all of our outdoor stuff in the mornings, pool in the afternoon, and then went out after 8pm again when it cooled off (a little). Summers up north is still our preference.
boilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 08:39 AM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
But I'm talking about vastly different HOA's within the SAME community. That's what I don't understand.
I'm quite late to this thread, but I thought I'd comment on this part, for what it's worth.

From what I've seen, the price swings could be due to several factors. Some HOAs might keep a higher % in reserves than other areas, some might pay for more perks (internet & cable TV, water, pest control), and some might have had a rash of, say, trees that needed removing and had to increase their dues for a few years to bump their reserves back up to where they were.

Also, if there is a variety of housing styles in the community, one HOA might need a larger monthly fee to cover roofs (more pitches = higher roofing cost than simpler roofs), fancier exterior trim work costs more to paint (more time-consuming, different paint colors, etc), extensive landscaping costs more to maintain, and some HOAs not only cover the roads in the community, as someone pointed out upthread, so paving & milling costs are there, but also driveway & sidewalk crack fixing/concrete replacing.

And, some HOAs have fancier green spaces than others, whether it's that particular HOA's entry (fencing, stonework, mansonry), or retaining walls on some ponds that other HOAs might not have. Some HOAs even have a line item for gatherings and those are funded through the monthly fees.

I also had these questions while looking and it took a good bit of deep diving to figure out that not all HOAs in the same community were run/funded the same way as they had different needs. It was eye-opening and interesting, for sure.
always_learning is online now   Reply With Quote