They actually needed a "study" for this?

Sometimes studies seem like a waste because they confirm what's considered the "common sense" answer. But they can still be helpful because (1) often our intuition can be wrong. For example, as they write in the article "If unhealthy or unhappy people are more likely to retire it will appear that retirement is bad for health and happiness". (2) Even if we know the likely direction of response, studies often try to quantify the effect size. (3) The article may be just summarizing the most basic finding of the study and the researchers may have gone into much more detail which isn't reported in the article.

I get a kick out of conflicting studies over the years. Eggs are bad for you, no they are good, coffee is bad for you, no good, no bad. Margarine is better for you than butter.....

But to do a study to determine if working or getting to do what you want is better for you....please :facepalm:

I get a kick out of conflicting studies over the years. Eggs are bad for you, no they are good, coffee is bad for you, no good, no bad. Margarine is better for you than butter.....

But to do a study to determine if working or getting to do what you want is better for you....please :facepalm:

My feelings exactly.

I have to laugh when I see some of the new pet food commercials.
"If you really love your pet, you wouldn't give it a food containing gluten"

The gullibility of the American consumer amazes me.

My feelings exactly.

I have to laugh when I see some of the new pet food commercials.
"If you really love your pet, you wouldn't give it a food containing gluten"

The gullibility of the American consumer amazes me.

lol, not me. have you seen some of the shows on tv lately?

I just always wonder why I can't paid to do one of these studies. I think I'd be good at it.

LOL +1

We feed our dog kibble. But I even roll my eyes at that. When I was a kid the dog ate what we ate. If we had spaghetti the dog had spaghetti. If there was a lot left, happy dog. If not so much left, less happy dog.

Dog lived to be 13 and had a great life.

PETA would stage a protest on my lawn if we did that today.

When we adopted our dog from the rescue a couple years ago, they had to interview us. Then they had to do an "observation" of our entire family with the dog. Finally they came to inspect our property to ensure it was a safe dog habitat. They were happy with the fence but suggested we install outdoor lights to prevent someone from dognapping the pooch. This dog is a mutt with like 6 different breeds.

Then they made us sign a contract as to the perpetual care, property maintenance and ultimate return of the dog to the rescue if something happened.

Don't get me wrong, we LOVE our dog. He's a great pet that adds a lot to our lives. But at what point did we go from having a dog so it can protect the house to redesigning our lives to protect the dog:confused:

Results of a recent study to determine: Does Retirement Improve Health and Life Satisfaction?. [/url]

I bet the federal government paid for the study too!

Orwell, where are you??

I bet they want to convince people that retiring is bad for your health.

If everybody worked until they dropped it would solve so many 'problems' wouldn't it? HC, Medicare, SS, taxes, plus higher RMDs to name a few. And we'd all be happier for it.

As if people really think this thru? Why do so many have next to nothing in their 401K? Because getting what they WANT NOW is more important to them than planning for what they NEED LATER. The people on this forum are probably a thin slice of the population. The rest are commenting on the Kardashians on Facebook!

Orwell, where are you??

I bet they want to convince people that retiring is bad for your health.

If everybody worked until they dropped it would solve so many 'problems' wouldn't it? HC, Medicare, SS, taxes, plus higher RMDs to name a few. And we'd all be happier for it.

I thought one of the pushing points for the ACA was that it freed up people to retire early. Wasn't the argument they wanted people out of the employment pool to reduce unemployment? Of course it could be like tobacco where they subsidize growers and then spend $$$ to discourage using the product!

Why not study something "important" like this:

LOL +1

We feed our dog kibble. But I even roll my eyes at that. When I was a kid the dog ate what we ate. If we had spaghetti the dog had spaghetti. If there was a lot left, happy dog. If not so much left, less happy dog.

Dog lived to be 13 and had a great life.

PETA would stage a protest on my lawn if we did that today.

When we adopted our dog from the rescue a couple years ago, they had to interview us. Then they had to do an "observation" of our entire family with the dog. Finally they came to inspect our property to ensure it was a safe dog habitat. They were happy with the fence but suggested we install outdoor lights to prevent someone from dognapping the pooch. This dog is a mutt with like 6 different breeds.

Then they made us sign a contract as to the perpetual care, property maintenance and ultimate return of the dog to the rescue if something happened.

Don't get me wrong, we LOVE our dog. He's a great pet that adds a lot to our lives. But at what point did we go from having a dog so it can protect the house to redesigning our lives to protect the dog:confused:

The only reason I believe this is because it is too crazy to be made up! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom