Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-23-2018, 07:47 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Um...not sure how to break this to you, but 6 0 is only one step beyond High School.....just wait.

And I shall continue so I don't lose it !

I'm also experiencing CRS on a more frequent basis. I treat it as a normal mileage process and use reminder notes and my cell calendar, more and more.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2018, 07:50 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I'm also experiencing CRS on a more frequent basis. I treat it as a normal mileage process and use reminder notes and my cell calendar, more and more.
Naah...don't worry.....it'll get worse.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:50 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

And I shall continue so I don't lose it !

Good, you still have a long way to go to be like some of us here that are "over 70". I was still playing competitive softball at 59. I quit at 60 to focus on my golf game. I hang out with a few guys over 70 and we are all very active.

Just keep up with the exercise!
Old 06-23-2018, 07:57 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Now what were we talking about ?
I have learned to say out loud what I am going to the next room or downstairs to retrieve. It truly helps. So I guess I am now talking out loud to myself and still getting good answers.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:59 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would love to have my own bed in my own room but DH says divorce will happen if that happens, barring any physical disabilities that would require. So I go to bed at 11 or 12am. He doesn't come and interrupt my sleep until around 2 am or so.

Guess I just have to get use to it, you would think after 40 years of marriage I would be use to the interruptions of him coming to bed....NOT.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:59 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Good, you still have a long way to go to be like some of us here that are "over 70". I was still playing competitive softball at 59. I quit at 60 to focus on my golf game. I hang out with a few guys over 70 and we are all very active.

Just keep up with the exercise!
Yes indeed. It is a turning point for me to have minor physical issues, "fix" them, and carry forward. It feels WONDERFUL to be able to overcome the mileage.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:58 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
Re: what old people do: I just finished 2 games of Chutes and Ladders with my granddaughter, and it seemingly took me 5 minutes to stand up from the floor.

I played Chutes and Ladders today too!
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:02 PM   #48

We sleep together with 2 dogs and two cats. If one of us gets sick, I go to another bedroom. We enjoy having 3-5 nights in separate rooms, staying up reading, not worrying about the other person getting sick, but that’s about the limit. It’s a nice personal time break, but it doesn’t last long.

I find myself having to make a big effort to get up from the couch sometimes, when I’m stiff. That makes me feel old.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:18 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

There. That's an oldpeople meme - talking about AGE all the time. "It'll get worse." "Old age is not for sissies." Etc.

We were in the eye doctor's waiting room the other day, where a bunch of old men were having a chat. Guess what they were talking about. Sports? The stock market? The weather? Normal conversation? Naah. They were going on and on about how old they were. One was 80. Another was 85. I know this, because they announced their ages, which normal people simply do not do. The conversation included the phrase "It's all downhill from 80."

It's not as if we haven't seen old people; we know what we are in for. It seems pointless to dwell on it, to the exclusion of other topics.

Quote:
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:34 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
The insomnia thing - fairly common when getting older, and lots of possible causes. My wee hours awakening was cured with hormone supplementation. Sleeping much better now. Plus Dr. has me maintain a sleep discipline of at least eight hours (even if just lying there for an hour) which I can do when at home, and it has really helped too.

Uh-oh, I’ve been wearing sandals with socks for years!
One need not be old to do that in the NW. It's the old Seattle way, but gradually giving way as is old Seattle in every other way. All in negative directions IMO.

I just learned to not mind sandals with bare feet all winter long. I think it is much warmer than before, as I remember liking insulated boots in long ago winters.

I have those Chaco sandals from REI that are some kind of rain resistant rubber type and have Vibram soles in case you run into snow. The weirdest this for me is that though my hands often get cold, my feet don't. My GF likes gloves in cold weather, but I do not.

Ha
Old 06-24-2018, 08:36 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Move it or Lose it !

While at PT, I witnessed several clients with balance and overall strength issues, mostly mileage related. I vowed to myself that I MUST continue the exercise regimen, not for vanity, but for better mobility now and in the future.
Glad you're doing better.

I graduated balance therapy in 2014. I don't take balance for granted anymore. That was a horrible year and I'll do most anything to keep from having issues again. Core strength helps.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:46 AM   #52

I've caught myself telling the 20-something engineers at work stories about my computer tech days back in the 80s. You'd think they'd be interested, based on the number of movies out these days about Steve Job's early days, the rise of Silicon Valley, and such. Took me a while to realize their slack-jawed stares were not due to awe. Makes me feel like Sally Field's character in "Hello, My Name is Doris".
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:50 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
I've caught myself telling the 20-something engineers at work stories about my computer tech days back in the 80s. You'd think they'd be interested.
But they've already had to study that when they took their ancient history course. You wouldn't also expect them to be interested in the Athens vs Sparta conflict, would you?
Old 06-24-2018, 08:51 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
There. That's an oldpeople meme - talking about AGE all the time. "It'll get worse." "Old age is not for sissies." Etc.
Not that I dwell on age...it's that I chuckle at 'young(er)' people who think they are 'old'.

Added: Our 6 1/2 year old granddaughter, (and she's not the first to do this), talks about "When she was young".

Old 06-24-2018, 09:13 AM   #55

While Ms G. and I still share the same bedroom, she insists on seperate bathrooms.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:09 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
I find myself having to make a big effort to get up from the couch sometimes, when I’m stiff. That makes me feel old.
When I am stiff, we go to the bedroom to celebrate together. It is a random event!
Old 06-24-2018, 10:11 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
It is a random event!
You spelled 'rare' incorrectly.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:15 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Just wait. You will get there! Once you are past your best before date, it will be easier to talk about it.

BTW talking about age is actually bragging. But if you are not over 65, you have no clue WADR.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:19 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You spelled 'rare' incorrectly.
If you got an incoherent response, it was a Window glitch.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:58 AM   #60
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Older people sleeping in separate bedrooms is apparently very common. I used to work in the senior living industry and our Marketing staff told me that many couples insist on a 2 BR apartment because they each want their own bedroom.

Hopefully that will not happen for DH and me. We have 3 BR’s in our condo, but one is an office and the guest BR doesn’t have a view. Our master has a beautiful view of the ocean, and I don’t see either of us wanting to sacrifice that! [emoji23]
For 3 months I slept in the guest room. Best sleep of my life! Able to control the temp, tv on/off, light on/off, no dog trying to sneak into bed, no cat walking the entire length of my body with those dagger paws. Sadly DW put an end to that. So much for the sleep apnea.
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote