Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-30-2019, 07:50 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
What a shock. People who like Teslaís buy and recommend them, and people who donít like Teslaís donít buy them.

I get it.... What a shock...
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2019, 08:54 PM   #62
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Tesla doesn't have anything special.
Except that they actually seem like cars from the future, theyíre amazing to drive and even ride in. Detroit hasnít got a clue and will never be competitive again.

What I donít get is why you wouldnít buy used? We started thinking about getting a Tesla this last vacation. A solid used S can be had for under $40k. Iíve owned a new BMW, owning a new car is a fabulous experience for the dealer, not the buyer. No need to be abused while watching my money depreciate like that again.
smoghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 08:57 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoghat View Post
A solid used S can be had for under $40k.
The choices for great used cars for under $40k is endless.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 09:08 PM   #64

You have to own a Tesla to appreciate it. They are in a whole different class from ICE vehicles. People who are skeptical of them often know virtually nothing about them.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 08:44 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...-while-parked/

I've researched Teslas and driven a Model S (fast, great tech but not comfortable and poor headroom for my 6'3" height). Despite having a 10 kw solar system that could charge it for free I have no interest (yet) in switching over from a Mercedes. Four of them in a row that have been problem free, never left me stranded and great for road trips without stopping for charging. Current ride has range over 600 miles per tank. Leaving tomorrow for a 22 hour drive over 2 days. Would not want to do that in a Tesla until the range improves and price comes down.
Sittinginthesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:09 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

I know of a guy who bought a Model S just drive about the country and not have to pay for fuel. He's made several cross country trips, fueling his car at Superchargers all the way. Of course, that does limit where he can go, but he is a 'big city' kind of guy, He stays on the big Interstate highways and only visits places like Dallas, Atlanta, Baltimore, LA, Denver, Chicago, etc. If Tumbleweed OK does not have a Supercharger it's not a problem. He wouldn't be caught dead there.
Old 12-31-2019, 11:34 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
You have to own a Tesla to appreciate it. They are in a whole different class from ICE vehicles. People who are skeptical of them often know virtually nothing about them.
Yes, Tesla owners are all much more enlightened people than the rest of us cretins. Fortunately there are no eco-chic Tesla buyers, like the ones that drive around with zero emissions stickers or plates.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if we own an EV some day, but there are plenty of good reasons other cars are a better option for many people today.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 04:01 PM   #68

My reasons for buying a Tesla:

1. I can refuel at home. Super easy and cheap (and clean). If you you have access to charging without contorting your life, it's great. An apartment or condo without a plug where you park (or at work) would be a little worse than getting gas, but many people do it.

2. It's a performance car, with good handling, that's really quiet. Plus instant pedal response and no downshifting. It's particularly good at positioning your car while merging. Punch it and go. We replaced a Porsche 911 and a Mini Cooper S and much prefer the Teslas. Test drive one.

3. Autopilot is fantastic for long trips. I'm a calmer driver with it and don't arrive exhausted after a day of driving. Firmware updates make it better every month or two.

4. We go on road trips using the Tesla Superchargers. Not as easy to do with other electrics. Yes, it can be a little slower, but for anyone who can slow down a bit it's a fun experience. Tesla cars are perfect for local trips and work fine for road trips. That allowed us to go all electric, two Teslas, instead of keeping a gas car around. This will get better for everyone as more fast charging stations are added. But so far only Tesla seems to get road trips.

Obviously with the current diversity in gas cars Teslas won't be everyone's ideal car. Hopefully we'll have more choice in the future.

And notice I didn't say anything about clean energy? It's a nice bonus, but wasn't a primary factor like the above reasons. Although ICE cars and gas stations now really stink.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 02:30 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Our Model 3 has lived up to all the hype.

When considering whether to get a new Leaf or a Tesla, I watched a video in which the owner of both said something like, "The Leaf is a good car, but the Tesla is a transportation device from the future."

You can't appreciate how true that is until you've experienced it.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:55 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

I recently heard about the 'Tesla Effect' in regards to high performance luxury cars. Proponents of the TE believe that prices for other high performance used luxury vehicles are going down because owners of these vehicles are swapping them at higher than normal rates for a Model 3.

So, there may be a silver lining for the Tesla skeptics in the market for a used pre-owned European luxury car.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorz.../#3b5e2d6224e8

Quote:
A recent article posted on the Capital One auto financing website suggests that skyrocketing sales of the Tesla Model 3 – which currently outsells all other electric cars combined – is adversely affecting the resale values of European-brand luxury cars. The trend has been dubbed the “Tesla Effect.”
Old 01-03-2020, 05:13 PM   #71

Yes, BMW is clearly hurting. In 2018 they sold 76,000 3 Series cars, which would be the direct competitor to the Model 3. I haven’t seen 2019 number published yet but I’m expecting them to be less than 2018.

Tesla sold 300,000 Model 3’s in 2019, which blows away any other luxury brand. The distant second last year was a Lexus RX at 112,000 units.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:37 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

"You've got a phone. I've got a phone. Why do I need email?"

That's what a bandmate said to me around the year 1999—get the point?
Old 01-04-2020, 07:55 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This is very true. It's hard not to sound like an evangelist, but after our first full day of errands and driving around, I'm still finding more amazing things to appreciate. My favorite feature is the autopilot. Most of the 30 miles from home to Eureka were spent with the car doing the driving. It was much more relaxing than usualólike being a passenger in a car with a very good driver. I'm even considering long road trips!

I've been binge-watching Tesla tips and tricks videos, and here's a video that sums up the features that make it so different from other cars:

I took my first call while driving, today. Lena was ahead of me in the Leaf, and wanted to know where I was. I had forgotten my regular glasses, and had to go back and get them.

It's of course hands-free, but I've always felt that even hands-free, talking on the phone is dangerous. But in this case, the car was driving. I still had my hands on the wheels and was paying attention, and I felt it was safe.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:47 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
... It's of course hands-free, but I've always felt that even hands-free, talking on the phone is dangerous. But in this case, the car was driving. I still had my hands on the wheels and was paying attention, and I felt it was safe.
Glad that you are happy with your new car, enjoy!

But that last statement is what has me scared about these interim "self driving" capabilities. It sure sounds like you are being lulled into a (perhaps false) sense of security. How do you know "felt safe" equates with "is safe"?

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:10 PM   #75

If you ever want to know where your spouse is the app will show you the car’s location and driving speed. You can follow the car on google maps and know exactly what time you need to put dinner in the oven to have it ready when they come home.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:08 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

But that last statement is what has me scared about these interim "self driving" capabilities. It sure sounds like you are being lulled into a (perhaps false) sense of security. How do you know "felt safe" equates with "is safe"?

-ERD50
Valid point. People are much less good at multitasking than they realize.

In 1999, the first time I received a cell phone call when I was in the phone, I immediately drifted out of my lane, even before answering. It was a phone like this:

I've never used a phone while driving since.

Perhaps I should have said that I concluded that since the car was doing the driving down the freeway in perfect conditions for autopilot, and with my hands on the wheel, the chances I'd need to take control yet be distracted were very slight.

https://youtu.be/ATfHb-egOek?t=25
Old 01-05-2020, 09:27 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If you ever want to know where your spouse is the app will show you the car’s location and driving speed. You can follow the car on google maps and know exactly what time you need to put dinner in the oven to have it ready when they come home.
Fantastic. Can't wait to use that next time Lena is a little bit late and I'm starting to worry.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:28 AM   #78
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

In 1999, the first time I received a cell phone call when I was in the phone, I immediately drifted out of my lane, even before answering. It was a phone like this:

https://youtu.be/ATfHb-egOek?t=25
Although mine was what was known as a bag phone since the battery was in bag and the phone handset was on a cord I did the same thing. Scared me half to death at the time!!!
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 09:39 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

-ERD50
In the recent news, I read that the NHTSA was investigating a couple more cases of Tesla accidents that were suspected to be related to the self-driving.

Musk promised Tesla 3 to be fully self-driving to be used in a fleet of taxicabs in 2020. That is this year. He said Tesla 3's owners would be able to sign up for their cars to offer rides to make some money. I am still waiting to see his autopilot improved to that point (at least Level 4). Can it read the traffic lights yet, like Waymo's cars have been doing for a few years already?
Old 01-05-2020, 10:10 AM   #80
gone traveling

What is the real world range loss at 32F versus advertised range or fully charged range? At 20F? At 0F? Have a hard time finding that data. THere should be a mileage vs. temp curve available. At what temperate are the claimed range tests run?
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote