Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-01-2020, 05:28 PM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
Rumor is the Model S may soon offer a 500-mile range thanks to a 120-kWh battery pack coming this summer. That is sweet.
When my 2016 Outback gets a little older I will be saying bye-bye to the internal combustion engine for the rest of my driving life. And I can't wait!
They will have to build one that can safely drive thru 6 inches of snow at a cost lower than the current models before I join you.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2020, 10:00 PM   #122
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I routinely push my Model 3 as hard as I can. Iíve looked at the numbers when I drive like a maniac versus a very calm drive. So on a 12 mile trip if I push the car as hard as I can it cost me around 48 cents. If I drive like a little old lady it is more like 40 cents. Percentage wise itís somewhat significant. But we are still talking about pennies.
That's cool. Right now, I'm driving a Ford Focus ST, which is the turbocharged version. Because I chose that model, I can never get 40 MPG. So a car like the Model 3 would have quicker acceleration but still do much better than the ST in easy driving.

BTW, 12 miles in my car with brisk but not stupid acceleration would cost me over a dollar with gasoline at $2.
Slow But Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:57 AM   #123
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Rumor is the Model S may soon offer a 500-mile range thanks to a 120-kWh battery pack coming this summer. That is sweet.
When my 2016 Outback gets a little older I will be saying bye-bye to the internal combustion engine for the rest of my driving life. And I can't wait!
I had heard about the 400 mile barrier being broken. 500 would come close to matching my hybrid's driving range. Very nice.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:15 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow But Steady View Post
That's cool. Right now, I'm driving a Ford Focus ST, which is the turbocharged version. Because I chose that model, I can never get 40 MPG. So a car like the Model 3 would have quicker acceleration but still do much better than the ST in easy driving.

BTW, 12 miles in my car with brisk but not stupid acceleration would cost me over a dollar with gasoline at $2.
We have not seen gas prices anywhere close to $2 in California for a very long time. Maybe thatís why EVs are so popular here.

My long term average cost per mile for electricity is .04. I drive 10,000 miles per year so my electricity runs $400/year. When I had my Lexus I was paying $1,800 per year for gas.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:26 AM   #125
Give me a forum ...

The cheapest regular in my area is about $2.65 a gallon. About 10% of the houses gave at least one pure EV car.
Old 02-04-2020, 06:16 PM   #126
Full time employment: Posting here.

Here in Bradenton, FL, just filled up at Costco for $2.15/gal. And, ironically, I saw Tesla stock gained about $107 a share today, nearly 14%. What is going on there?
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:20 PM   #127

Quote:
Here in Bradenton, FL, just filled up at Costco for $2.15/gal. And, ironically, I saw Tesla stock gained about $107 a share today, nearly 14%. What is going on there?
I'm not sure.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:52 PM   #128

I was thinking about buying some Tesla stock last summer when it was around $180/share. But I listened to the analysts and short sellers and never moved forward.

As much as I’m a believer in what Tesla is doing, I can’t make sense of the rally. They lost money in two out of four quarters last year. They sold a total of 367,000 cars. And yet they are worth more than every car company other than Toyota. I’m not sure I buy into the current stock valuation.

But they are positioned to grow, and there is no real competition to their cars. So the market believes they are well positioned to maintain their technology lead for a while and leverage it to grow 50% a year. I hope it happens, but I’m still not buying their stock at these prices.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 12:15 PM   #129
Recycles dryer sheets

Starsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:09 PM   #130
Dryer sheet aficionado

Bought a used model S a month ago. Wow, what a great car. I’ve taken one long tip in it and it was maxing how relaxing it felt. The autopilot, lack of engine noise, and absence of vibration are fabulous. I got to drive both of our BMWs since and they feel completely broken.
smoghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 11:13 AM   #131
Give me a forum ...

I sure hope Elon Musk settles his dispute with California's Alameda County to reopen soon. Otherwise he is threatening to move his business to Texas.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:25 AM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I sure hope Elon Musk settles his dispute with California's Alameda County to reopen soon. Otherwise he is threatening to move his business to Texas.

+100!!
Old 05-20-2020, 09:30 PM   #133
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
They will have to build one that can safely drive thru 6 inches of snow at a cost lower than the current models before I join you.
Born in Chicago, grew up in the Berkshires and upstate New York. Iíve never owned a car as good in the snow as my Model S. If you canít afford it, thatís another story. They arenít cheap.
smoghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Maintenance
Old 05-20-2020, 09:53 PM   #134

Maintenance

DW and I just got a coupon from Chevy today, reminding us that we had a free service for the Bolt that should be done in the first year (to check tires and coolant fluid/brake levels).

The next one is at year two (same service). If I were paying the utility for the battery charges, it would be about $131 for the 6000 miles driven since October. The extra panels for charging will pay for themselves (in gas) in about 5 years.
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:16 PM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLJ View Post
...... If I were paying the utility for the battery charges, it would be about $131 for the 6000 miles driven since October. The extra panels for charging will pay for themselves (in gas) in about 5 years.
We have paid $108.55 for gas so far this year and one of the cars tank is currently full, and the other is 1/2 full. So could be blowing another $20 in a month or two !

One benefit of Covid-19
Old 05-20-2020, 11:38 PM   #136

Woo-hoo! Blow the dough! I hear you; our spending on the other "car" the offroad Silverado is down at least 50%, although we might start dry-camping if the remote State Parks open up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
We have paid $108.55 for gas so far this year and one of the cars tank is currently full, and the other is 1/2 full. So could be blowing another $20 in a month or two !

One benefit of Covid-19
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:04 PM   #137
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoghat View Post
Iíve never owned a car as good in the snow as my Model S.
I'll say that our Model 3 is also fine in the Chicago winters. I wouldn't do it myself, but learned there is an after market lift kit available for the Model 3 that beefs the stock suspension higher with spacers to give 7 inches of clearance for the hardcore types who want to off-road with their Model 3. Frankly I think the weight advantage and placement of the battery in either our Leaf of Model 3 makes them great in the snow.
KarlH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:13 AM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlH View Post
I'll say that our Model 3 is also fine in the Chicago winters. I wouldn't do it myself, but learned there is an after market lift kit available for the Model 3 that beefs the stock suspension higher with spacers to give 7 inches of clearance for the hardcore types who want to off-road with their Model 3. Frankly I think the weight advantage and placement of the battery in either our Leaf of Model 3 makes them great in the snow.
Just curious: How do you modulate the torque when you are in ice and snow? Electric cars develop maximum torque at zero rpm. I would have guessed breaking the tires loose would be a problem. Apparently it is not, but not sure how that is accomplished.

Back in the day (that is to say, when I lived in the midwest and especially when I drove rear-wheel drive cars - including a Vette) I often "snow-launched" cars in second gear to reduce the torque. Even some auto trans cars had a "second" gear which allowed the same technique. Is there any special technique you need to use to prevent wheel spin in an electric?

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:43 AM   #139
Recycles dryer sheets

My experience has been that you just push the pedal down a bit less. Frankly, both of our electrics are very quick off the line, and the M3 will push you back into the seat if you are hard on the accelerator. I try to be a bit cautious when I am accelerating on wet pavement or in snow, but ours is AWD as well, so it grips the surface pretty well no matter what. The 100% torque is something you get used to with driving, just like one pedal operation.
KarlH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:41 AM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Just curious: How do you modulate the torque when you are in ice and snow? Electric cars develop maximum torque at zero rpm. I would have guessed breaking the tires loose would be a problem. Apparently it is not, but not sure how that is accomplished.

Back in the day (that is to say, when I lived in the midwest and especially when I drove rear-wheel drive cars - including a Vette) I often "snow-launched" cars in second gear to reduce the torque. Even some auto trans cars had a "second" gear which allowed the same technique. Is there any special technique you need to use to prevent wheel spin in an electric?
My Y has "chill mode" makes it drive almost like an ICE vehicle.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote