Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-26-2020, 09:10 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

We built a no-step-entry house and hire the snow removal done. Will hire the lawn and landscaping done when I'm tired of that. We like the age mix of homeowners in the neighborhood which is mostly young with kids. We fit right in when our grandkids come over.
JRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2020, 10:36 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One thing that I really dislike about where we live now (not a retirement community, although many owners are retired) is the relentless drone of gas leaf blowers and other heavy yard machinery that groundskeeping companies use. No electric mowers here.

We are used to very large lots, and not used to being so close to everyone else. Every.single.day. there is lawn equipment snarling somewhere, often very close. Even inside a CBS home with the windows shut it is distracting.

I imagine it would be no different in a retirement place, even though it's probably the same company doing all the yards (as opposed to everyone hiring their own as is done here).
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 10:43 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
One thing that I really dislike about where we live now (not a retirement community, although many owners are retired) is the relentless drone of gas leaf blowers and other heavy yard machinery that groundskeeping companies use. No electric mowers here.

We are used to very large lots, and not used to being so close to everyone else. Every.single.day. there is lawn equipment snarling somewhere, often very close. Even inside a CBS home with the windows shut it is distracting.

I imagine it would be no different in a retirement place, even though it's probably the same company doing all the yards (as opposed to everyone hiring their own as is done here).
HOA=1 No HOA=0

Our HOA looks after our landscaping, gardening, Irrigation & Lawn Mowing. THey only do it on a Thursday Morning. It is Not a 55+ community.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:49 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
I'm 68, DW 69. Still in our house from 35+ years ago. I enjoy the mix of our neighborhood. Heck, how 'bout the mix right next to me: 2 young families on either side of me, elderly single woman across the street, empty nesters (and our friends) across the street, etc.
I pay for a lawn service, hire out more and more heretofore-DIY jobs. I like my house's location: not close to a highway that cuts through our town, or the commuter railroad, so it's quiet. Nice neighbors. Only a mile to the County Park where I ride my bike and run. I see no emotional or physical benefit for us to move.
Well, it's working well for you and I hope it continues that way for a long time. We relocated to our home 7 years ago and love our neighborhood and community. Our current home is our Plan A and it's a home we can age in place quite easily -- the home was custom built by the former owner to accomodate a disabled child so it's actually a perfect fit for seniors who might be physically challenged in later years -- everything we need is on one floor, but it's a 2 story home with soft landing stairs to go up and down stairs, along with an elevator if we have mobility challenged guests. Everything in our house can be easily accessible by wheel chair occupants or guests. As for our neighborhood, we love the mix of folks here -- perhaps 15% are retirees and the rest are young couples with children. We have one grandchild 15 minutes away from us (our daughter and her family moved to our area, a few years ago) and we're active in our grandchild's development, pitching in to help especially with providing relief help to our daughter as a stay-at-home professional coping with total online learning for a 5 year old.

Nonetheless, our Plan B is to navigate over to a CCRC, and we're on the waitlist for one not too far from where we currently live -- and it would be very close to an assisted living facility where my BIL currently resides. We don't anticipate moving into this CCRC for another 4-6 years, but the waitlist is 4 years deep and we want to preserve our options if a suitable unit becomes available. One of the major features I would miss from our current place is the ability to see the growth in young children in our neighborhood: Halloween (even in this pandemic afflicted time) provides us with so much joy to see our neighboor children come by us for treats; we love seeing the elementary school children ride their bikes on our safe streets, and it's been a joy having our grandchildren ride bikes or walk trails with us here when they visit. (We can do some of that in the CCRC we've waitlisted but our grandkids will be much older, though there are other amenities at the CCRC which older children will certainly like.)

I do see an emotional, wellness, and physical benefit for us moving to a CCRC at some point in our future.
Old 11-26-2020, 12:22 PM   #45

CBS home??
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:38 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

We had a two story house in a nice mixed age neighborhood. When DW couldn't negotiate the stairs anymore due to he COPD, we found a nice 2,000 sq. ft. single level home in a 55+ community of 437 homes. (no golf course)

We bought it and moved in when she was 70 and I was 72. It's perfect for us and I am very active playing golf (lots of other courses nearby) , walking, etc. She's not very active but participates with ladies activity groups here.

HOA fees are $180/month and cover a ton of stuff, including painting the outside of the house every 10 years. These homes are 20 year old brick and Hardiplank.

We are 1 mile from three major hospitals and an MD Anderson Cancer Center is nearby along with tons of other medical facilities and offices.

This is a good fit for us and I am still close enough to my old friends to do things with them since most live within 5 miles of us.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:54 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
CBS home??
concrete block structure?
jfn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 10:33 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Concrete block and steel.
Old 11-27-2020, 12:24 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
What do you think of retirement communities? Are you living in one now? Did you consider it, then decide against it? Why?
I am 72 years old and right now I'm living in an older inner suburb of New Orleans. This is a normal neighborhood with no age restrictions. The homes in this neighborhood were built around 1965, and many of them are still occupied by the original owners (who are around 75-85 years old by now), or by other older people such as me. There aren't any kids here AFAIK although there are no rules against people of any age moving in. I think this community is perfect for me, since I am the type who would probably resent HOA restrictions and since I have no desire for any to be put in place.

We are tentatively planning to age in place. If, heaven forbid, he goes first and if it turns out that I need care, then I guess I will have to go to some sort of facility. Before the pandemic I was thinking that at some point I might move to a CCRC. However, seeing the impact the virus had on local CCRC's I am no longer enthused about living in one of them. I am still uncertain as to what the best plan is for me in that situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
I'm just curious. I'm exploring my options for relocation, and a retirement community is one of them. I don't have any specific location in mind, just exploring ideas.

My initial pro/con list, based on my limited knowledge would be...

Pros:
  • A settled community of retired older adults, people I'd probably have more in common with than working families or college students.
    I already have that. That said, I am kind of an introvert and don't really socialize with my neighbors at all. I do appreciate that they keep up their homes and don't throw wild parties too often.
  • Activity programs that can help to build social ties -- hopefully something more than yoga, bridge, and Wii bowling.
    That would be nice! I need to get back to the gym.
  • Maybe they would have some sort of healthcare provisions, given that they're serving an older population. I don't need that yet, but I may someday.
    My doctors, labs, and the best hospital in the region are only 2 miles away and I have great insurance, so I probably won't need that. Maybe some day I will have to quit driving and take a cab for those 2 miles.

Cons:
  • I'm 59, so I don't feel quite ready for something like that. I suspect that most people in a retirement community would be 65+, older than me.
    You can always check out any community you are interested in, go there and find out for yourself whether the residents are as young and active as you might like.
  • The variety of social interaction gets restricted when you're only dealing with people of a certain age. There might also be an echo chamber effect.
    True. But then it's hard to communicate when you don't have much in common. For example when your main concerns are dealing with arthritis and similar physical effects of aging, and your neighbors' main concerns are the parent-teacher organization at their kids' school, you may long for that echo chamber.
  • What about the mental effect of being surrounded by aging people, some of whom have serious health problems? Would it just reinforce a sense of myself as old and on the decline? I don't know, but it's a concern.
    Believe me, you'll know it when you are getting old. No reinforcement needed! At least for me, my joints give me somewhat of a clue as to where my limitations lie. Or at least they did after a few bad injuries, before I started listening to my body. Personally I like interacting with people who are older than me; their memories of what this city was like way back then, is fascinating. It's like living history. Also many have a certain wisdom that comes with age. Conversing with them doesn't make me feel older; it makes me feel younger, actually, because to them I'm a kid. Hopefully you will find a community where some people are a little younger than you, and others are a little older than you.
  • No doubt there will be a company overseeing the place, and it will have its particular rules and regulations. I'm not a big fan of all that. There will probably be some fees attached as well.
    I agree. To me that would be the biggest negative aspect of living in such a community, but YMMV.

Overall, I'm leaning away from it, at least at this point in my life. But still, I thought I'd get people's opinions.
Old 11-27-2020, 12:27 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:

The difference in a retirement community, or condo townhouse would that they come only 1 maybe 2 days of the week.

In my regular neighborhood, every day some neighbor has a lawn service company come, add in the normal people cutting their own lawns and it's basically every day.

The good thing about the lawn service , is they are done in 15->20 minutes and drive away. It's the neighbor who walks slow pushing her gas mower, that I hear for over an hour !!
Old 11-27-2020, 06:05 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Close. In Florida it is short for "concrete block and stucco."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfn111 View Post
concrete block structure?
Old 11-27-2020, 06:51 AM   #52

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
The difference in a retirement community, or condo townhouse would that they come only 1 maybe 2 days of the week.
This is true in my parents neighborhood. It's not huge but it is at least 2 days for them to complete each week. Of course only one day directly on your street, but within earshot if outside for a few blocks.

But yeah in my SF home, everyone is on a different schedule.

One thing to have in newer homes in S.Fla (or upgrades to existing) that can help is hurricane/impact windows. They do somewhat help reduce the decibel levels of outdoor noises.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:45 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post

In my regular neighborhood, every day some neighbor has a lawn service company come, add in the normal people cutting their own lawns and it's basically every day.

The good thing about the lawn service , is they are done in 15->20 minutes and drive away. It's the neighbor who walks slow pushing her gas mower, that I hear for over an hour !!
When I bought my house 23 years ago there was a retired couple next door. Even though they were retired they chose Saturday as lawn cutting day. Both of our yards are 116' x 630'. It took them 6-8 hours walking behind a pair of gas mowers to cut the grass.

Thankfully they moved a couple years later. But for 2 full summers half of every weekend was spent listening to them cut the grass.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:47 AM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Maybe true, but that wasn't the case when we were looking/considering between 2016-2019. The new younger buyers tend to buy into the newest 55+ communities, though undoubtedly some buy into established 55+ communities. We toured and drove through several 55+ communities that had been in place for 20+ years - and it was absolutely awful. I wouldn't live there if you paid me. The only 55+ communities that had an appeal to us were those that were in progress or recently built out. Seeing the established communities is what ultimately steered us away from any 55+. But I realize that's not going to be everyone's decision, there are advantages and disadvantages with both.
I would think it would depend on the community? I wouldn't think older people would move into an active community with baseball fields, tennis courts, pickle ball courts, and golf courses which come with a higher price tag if they knew they couldn't use them. But i certainly could be wrong, I haven't researched it like you have.
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:52 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

The guy across the street from me mows on the weekends. He mows about two rows at a time, bags the clippings, sweeps the sidewalk, and then does another two rows.

The result is that he is running his mower on off for at least 4 hours. He also likes to mow later when everyone is having evening dinner.

Not a big deal, but I still bitch about it some while I'm enjoying my happy hour beer on summer nights. (I'm whining. This should be my big concern. )

I think I also complain about it, because he is sort of a pompous jerk too.

JP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
When I bought my house 23 years ago there was a retired couple next door. Even though they were retired they chose Saturday as lawn cutting day. Both of our yards are 116' x 630'. It took them 6-8 hours walking behind a pair of gas mowers to cut the grass.

Thankfully they moved a couple years later. But for 2 full summers half of every weekend was spent listening to them cut the grass.
JP.mpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 11:08 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post

Wouldn't you know. It's those darn retired people that are such a problem. Why do they have to wait until Saturday when the working people mow lawns.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 11:17 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

I grew up with the sound of neighbors' gas lawn mowers, and hardly notice it. It is the screaming drone of the commercial blowers and trimmers that hurts my ears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP.mpls View Post
The guy across the street from me mows on the weekends. He mows about two rows at a time, bags the clippings, sweeps the sidewalk, and then does another two rows.

The result is that he is running his mower on off for at least 4 hours. He also likes to mow later when everyone is having evening dinner.

Not a big deal, but I still bitch about it some while I'm enjoying my happy hour beer on summer nights. (I'm whining. This should be my big concern. )

I think I also complain about it, because he is sort of a pompous jerk too.

JP
Old 11-27-2020, 11:19 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Because you know, if they had chosen to shop on Saturday instead of mowing, they would have earned the ire of people who say, "Why can't those %$#! Old people leave us the one day a week we have to shop! Why do they have to clutter up the stores with their aging bodies?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Wouldn't you know. It's those darn retired people that are such a problem. Why do they have to wait until Saturday when the working people mow lawns.

Cheers!
Old 11-27-2020, 12:28 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post

Cheers!
I guess I'm really complaining about excessive noise. Of course the grass has to be cut but 8 hours is ridiculous when everyone else has a riding mower and can do it in an hour or so.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 12:43 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

I really don't mind at all when my neighbors' lawn guys mow and edge. They all do it predictably, at the same day and time each week. On Mondays, the house next door (not F's house but the one on the other side) mows. On Tuesdays, my lawn guy mows across the street. On Wednesdays, he mows F's and my lawns. And so on.

So, when I hear the mowing, I get a feeling of "all's right with the world, mowing going on as usual, I love that they are keeping up the neighborhood". And, I love that it is them, and not ME doing the mowing. What a nice luxury to lie in bed or putter around getting my coffee, instead of having to mow. (Been there, done that, for decades and decades, but now never again.)

I should also add that my house is unusually well insulated and that probably muffles the sound to some extent. Most of the lawn guys don't mow before 8 AM, but if/when they do one can hardly blame them since it gets so hot here around mid-day.