Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-27-2020, 05:06 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Before the pandemic I was thinking that at some point I might move to a CCRC. However, seeing the impact the virus had on local CCRC's I am no longer enthused about living in one of them.
We don't know anyone in/near a CCRC, can you us what the Covid impact was on CCRC's?
Sickness? Death? Financial problems? Etc?

And, anyone else is welcome to speak on that subject.
Gearhead Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2020, 05:12 PM   #62
Dryer sheet aficionado

Both our parents live in 55 plus communities. When they first moved in they were one of the youngest at 55 years of age and 64 respectively, made great friends, active in the community events, part of boards. In both communities we see more people passing away and the community as a whole getting older. Both parents continue to enjoy their communities.For us we are just retired and are in the go-go years so no interest in a retirement community. I like having more diversified neighbors. Our home is not in a 55 plus community and I like the age diversification, cultures and close ties to our small town. We shall see when we get to our no-go years if I change my mind.
habelsgtb is offline   Reply With Quote
55+ Community
Old 11-27-2020, 05:22 PM   #63
Dryer sheet wannabe

55+ Community

I am 62 and DH is 64...we are in a Resident owned manufactured home community in N. Florida, about an hr from Orlando and an hr from Jacksonville...right on the Ocean...WE LOVE IT. We bought in our mid 50-s...there are about 200 homes, and a constant cycle of the oldest folks passing and other mid-50-60's buying.

It is carefree, safe, with tons of activities, yet lots of privacy if we want...kids and grandkids welcome to visit, healthy lifestyle, heated pool, exercise room, clubhouse with lots of activities and virtually no maintenance on our home. I walk to the Ocean daily, fish on the inter coastal, take a golf cart ride into town (Flagler Beach) for an ice-cream, swim every morning, ride my bike at night without any fear...one of the best things is knowing that when one of us passes, the other spouse will not be isolated...they will be in a community that is supportive and helpful. Best decision we ever made...our home is just under 1,200 sq ft, 4 years old, dues are only $140 per month (include internet, cable, lawn care) taxes about $1,700 per year...insurance about $1,500 per year....the only downside is it is mandatory evacuation whenever there is a named hurricane, so you have to be ready to drive to a friends or a hotel...
Ebendana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:22 PM   #64
Confused about dryer sheets

We snowbird to AZ from IN to a 55+ community. We built our house there 5 years before I retired at 55 (am now 61). Not sure we'd have pulled the trigger for that big of a purchase after retirement. We love our community - many more pros than cons. We stay very active during most days / nights. One of the things I hear a lot of people here complain about is a required $600 annual restaurant spend (alcohol doesn't count). It's not a problem for us but lots of people don't like it.
TreyLagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:35 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim View Post
We don't know anyone in/near a CCRC, can you us what the Covid impact was on CCRC's?

I think W2R might be thinking more of the nursing home / assisted living end of a CCRC. If you're still youngish and in the "active seniors" town-homes/apartments I don't see how that would be any or significantly different than a normal similar environment. The assisted living and nursing home facilities... well, we've all seen what happens there.
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Our retirement community WAS made for us, but now...
Old 11-27-2020, 06:33 PM   #66
Dryer sheet wannabe

Our retirement community WAS made for us, but now...

We retired in 2016 in rural midwest, with man-shed garage for antique car hobby, chickens and coop, plus large garden for DW. In 2019, while visiting son's family in Phoenix, found a 55+ community with Auto Restoration Club. We visited it, somewhat on a whim, and found over 100 clubs, including weaving and spinning for DW, Car restoration, wood working, metal working and many fitness facilities. We bought a house a month later, and left the midwest.

We found that we were spending a LOT of our retirement time caring for the property, including the worries of being our own water & sewer department. I don't miss that.

However, the virus has GREATLY diminished the value of the community, as we and everyone else are being very careful to avoid the virus. ALSO, it's been a record hot year, so that diminished the fun in the summer.

Even with all that, I'm glad we did it. We both have more time for activities we enjoy at home, and we value the limited time and interactions with others. We know that we will get thru the virus and be able to more fully enjoy the community then.

ALSO, we get with young people by visiting our son and his family, but it IS a whole lot different with just old people around (yes, that is us.)
BasketCase24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 06:43 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfn111 View Post
concrete block structure?
could be. that was one acronym i had never encountered.
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 06:46 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

My husband and I bought into a Sun City in NorCal when I was 57 and he was 55 in 2012 (8 years ago). It was the best thing we EVER did! Our kids had graduated college and stayed in San Diego where they had career jobs. We sold our 2 story house with pool and bought a 1 story ranch style home w/ a great layout (master bedroom on one side of house and guest quarters and office on the other w/ the kitchen and family room in between. The house also has a casita w/ a guest bedroom and bathroom. This house is on a golf course w/ a stunning view. Our community consists of 7,000 homes and 11,000 folks, has 2 gyms, 2 lodges, 13 pickle ball courts, 7 tennis courts, and 200 active clubs (yes, 200!). Golf carts are owned by nearly every resident and the access to 2 grocery stores and Starbucks is convenient. This community began in 1999 and the turnover is beginning to reach a peak. Many folks are aging out and moving to assisted living or sadly passing on and the younger folks are buying in. We have fantastic walking trails and wetlands with many birds (egrets, herons, bald eagles) and other wildlife like coyotes, foxes, bobcats, mink, etc. The community is so peaceful and friendly. You can be as active as you want. My husband and I love pickle ball and water volleyball in an indoor pool. Also, my husband joins bike riding groups where they do 30 mile rides from our community. Our kids (31 and 32) LOVE visiting us since our house is laid out so nice for them as well (they spend the night) since they fly in from out of the area. We have met some good friends here and have taken cruises w/ them. Life is GOOD!
Travelfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 06:48 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyLagger View Post
... One of the things I hear a lot of people here complain about is a required $600 annual restaurant spend (alcohol doesn't count). It's not a problem for us but lots of people don't like it.
now that's something i've never heard of and while we aren't interested in a retirement community for lots of reasons this would be an absolute deal killer for us. so what happens if you don't spend the $600? are you kicked off the island?
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 07:58 PM   #70
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaunchyPirate View Post
My parents were snowbirds in a pretty low cost, 55+ community in central Florida (away from both coasts) from the time they were about 65 onward. Dad passed at 83 and Mom's place is up for sale right now, as we work toward her exit from the community. They owned 3 different places in the same community. It is a mobile home community consisting of about 150 mobile homes.

They LOVED living there. I never thought of my parents as being all that social, but after they retired, they became very social. I guess they just never had time to be social while working and raising us kids. They fully embraced the group dinner outings, weekly Monday coffee gatherings, Bingo, group cruises, holiday feasts in the club house, etc. Neither of them were into sports, but the community had golf, card game, shuffleboard, horse shoe, and water aerobics groups that kept the others busy. There was not an on-site gym. Lots of residents would ride their bikes up and down the relatively quite/isolated streets of the community.

They both become well thought of in the community and both served on the HOA Board and various committees through the years. Dad was known as one of the "always ready to help" guys in the community who kept busy helping neighbors with various projects in and around the homes. Owners are responsible for their own lawn maintenance, and Dad did that for a few years and then hired a "service" to do it. The "service" was an 85 year old guy in the community who loved to keep busy.

The park itself was 55+ and no pets permitted. I would guess the average age was more like 70-75. There were a few in their 50s/60s, but not a lot.

Central FL offers warm weather without paying the price of coastal living. Mom and Dad really never had much interest in beach living. And they didn't have a huge budget and they lived quite frugally. Sebring, FL offered them pretty much everything they wanted for a reasonable cost. As snowbirders, they kept their official residency in PA.

I'm thankful that they had 15+ years in the community as it really was something they enjoyed. They spent 6 months a year there and 6 months in PA. Mom made the decision to put her place up for sale this year partially due to the complexities of COVID, but also because she was starting to sense that being down there on her own, away from her family was becoming more risk to her health (even for non-COVID issues) at her age (82). We've had the place up for sale for 3 months and there hasn't been much activity on her place or any of the others up for sale in the community.
What is the name of this mobile home park in Sebring? I might be ready to be a snowbird in a couple years and this sounds great!
Kat07 is offline   Reply With Quote
+55 communities
Old 11-27-2020, 09:37 PM   #71

+55 communities

We are on California's Central Coast in a +55 park. Not only are pets allowed, but we have a dog park where the pet owners get together. I go over there to play with the dogs and have a pocketful of Pupperoni for them.
Things are a little slow now during the pandemic. but we have a clubhouse with activities, plus a pool, spa, and sauna.
At one point there was a discussion about turning the shuffleboard courts into a pickle ball court, but Covid intervened.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 05:54 AM   #72
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
now that's something i've never heard of and while we aren't interested in a retirement community for lots of reasons this would be an absolute deal killer for us. so what happens if you don't spend the $600? are you kicked off the island?
You have to pay the $600 even if you don't eat at the restaurant (it gets billed to your homeowners account). Everyone that buys there KNOWS this is a requirement so I kinda don't get why so many people complain about it.

We never have an issue meeting our minimum and only spend 5-6 months of the year there. But.... we tend to eat out a lot and like the convenience of having a restaurant very close. It's a great spot to hook up with friends and make new friends, especially on nights with entertainment.
TreyLagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:38 AM   #73
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyLagger View Post
You have to pay the $600 even if you don't eat at the restaurant (it gets billed to your homeowners account). Everyone that buys there KNOWS this is a requirement so I kinda don't get why so many people complain about it.

We never have an issue meeting our minimum and only spend 5-6 months of the year there. But.... we tend to eat out a lot and like the convenience of having a restaurant very close. It's a great spot to hook up with friends and make new friends, especially on nights with entertainment.
We would have no issues spending 50 monthly dining out, but as you say everyone knows the requirement, so I don't see an issue in accepting it.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:43 AM   #74
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've heard of that at country clubs. Not that surprised that it's in a retirement community. The main downside I see is that with the guaranteed income, a restaurant might not try too hard to be good.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 08:41 AM   #75

Quote:
I assume like a golf club, you're charged the $600 whether you use it or not
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:26 AM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Dad and his wife moved to a 55+ community over 20 years ago. Dad is now 84 and the wife is 81. Both enjoy good health. World travelers pre-pandemic. His wife is experiencing some symptoms that could be related to dementia. His DIL and SIL recently purchased a home in the same community. Both are in their late 50's. Thankfully I need not worry as much about dad and his wife's care.
They all love the lifestyle and dad had wanted me to move into the community when I retired. It's not for us but can certainly see some benefits.
My DW parents moved to the same community in 2004. Her father died in 2012 and her mother moved back with us in 2015. There retirement experience was quite different than my dad. The DW parents were not very social and left a home with several acres and loved to garage sale and frequent flea markets. Although not quite hoarders they loved to accumulate "treasure". They tried to continue that lifestyle in the retirement community. It was frowned upon.
My suggestion is try to rent for awhile before you commit to full time living.
kingkarmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:31 AM   #77

Quote:
If the place was ideal in other aspects I wouldn't walk away from it over $600 a year. That's just silly.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:59 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
I think W2R might be thinking more of the nursing home / assisted living end of a CCRC. If you're still youngish and in the "active seniors" town-homes/apartments I don't see how that would be any or significantly different than a normal similar environment. The assisted living and nursing home facilities... well, we've all seen what happens there.

Just an anecdote from a friend whose parents live in a gated CRCC and are physically healthy. They have had periods of locked down where no one was allowed in our out of the community, and the length of the lockdown was unknown ("until things get better). If you go out, you cannot return until some future county COVID-19 related metric is met. All of the social activities and gatherings cancelled. Meals either delivered to your door or you can get the ingredients and cook yourself, but one choices were limited. I found this part strange, if it is true - they had staff enforcing people walking around, even when social distanced, were below a certain count. Random checks on residences to ensure gatherings were not taking place. At the entrances they were ensuring people were not doing things like throwing stuff over the fences to relatives inside.
Old 11-28-2020, 12:28 PM   #79

We moved from a 2600 square foot home in rural NY in a secluded location to an 1100 square foot new construction home in a community that is not age restricted but is like a 55+ community.We knew we could not age out on the property we lived in in NY and our only child lives in NH so that is what we chose.

Most people here are 50+, but a few exceptions. A lot in their 50's and 60s. We are in our 60's. I would say there are not that many in the 75+ category, but there are some for sure.

Only 85 homes on tiny lots, a clubhouse and pool in a popular vacation spot. Walking distance to the big lake. Bowling, bingo, mini golf and regular golf, restaurants, breweries, drive-in boardwalk just down the street. Shopping, medical and other services within 4 miles drive.

HOA ($150) includes trash, pool and clubhouse, snowplowing of the road only, mowing of lawns. Activities pre COVID are mostly arranged by the residents. We have not experienced that part since COVID hit a month after we moved.

It was still the best thing we have done- moving. We met others by joining a small walking group. One couple who owns a boat was kind enough to take us out on the lake several times this summer. We had some nice gatherings outside in backyards and driveways. Hubby was able to join a sportsmen's club here as that is his thing.

If we were back in NY I don't know what we would have done being alone with no friends or family nearby. (Most live in the city or Long Island) Plus we get to see our son so much more often. He was just at our house for Thanksgiving and it took him 40 minutes to get to our home as opposed to 6 hours when we lived in NY.

The house is more like a cottage and we did extreme purging before we left. It is simple and clutter free. Very low maintenance. Here we can be as busy as we want to not. Important thing is there are people around. Our other home was nice when we were working and needed the retreat on the weekends to unwind. But when retired your needs are different, especially as you get older.

Here everyone helps each other out. The community has a Facebook page and website also. It's really great to know you can contact people if in need.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:36 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
Just an anecdote from a friend whose parents live in a gated CRCC and are physically healthy. They have had periods of locked down where no one was allowed in our out of the community, and the length of the lockdown was unknown ("until things get better). If you go out, you cannot return until some future county COVID-19 related metric is met. All of the social activities and gatherings cancelled. Meals either delivered to your door or you can get the ingredients and cook yourself, but one choices were limited. I found this part strange, if it is true - they had staff enforcing people walking around, even when social distanced, were below a certain count. Random checks on residences to ensure gatherings were not taking place. At the entrances they were ensuring people were not doing things like throwing stuff over the fences to relatives inside.
I'd have a hard time accepting that, thanks for the info.
We have gone out very little since March, but it was our choice and not an edict from a non-governmental organization.
Gearhead Jim is offline   Reply With Quote