Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-06-2020, 04:52 PM   #101
Recycles dryer sheets

Two issues DH and I have. First, it seems no matter where we look, (FL & DE) the houses were too close together. Second, we were surprised when a friend told us that sometimes the club house is not owed by the community. The “outside” owners could close it down if they felt it was necessary.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2020, 05:17 PM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That's to keep down landscape maintenance expenses (and the cost of the dwelling too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampshade View Post
Two issues DH and I have. First, it seems no matter where we look, (FL & DE) the houses were too close together.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Thoughts about Retirement Communities?
Old 12-06-2020, 05:19 PM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Thoughts about Retirement Communities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett
We saw a show or a report on the Villages in Florida. That was enough to turn us off over 55 communities for ever.

What did they say? And who said it? Who publishes this report?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 10:56 AM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Too many old people, too much politics, and too much additional development. Not enough ocean!
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:31 AM   #105
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think the size of the community makes a big difference.

I'm in a community of about 140 homes, almost all are fourplexes. Two community pools, two tennis courts, and a small community center. It feels like a friendly small village. The pool is very nice, and isn't crowded, and I'm getting to know some of the people who walk or swim.

There is a higher end golfing community across the main road from us. I looked on Google maps, it is easily 7-10 times larger than the one I'm in. They have a golf course with clubhouse that requires an additional membership, and they have two community pools. I suspect it is my personality and private tastes, but I wouldn't want to live there. They are SFHs, and are about twice the price, and double the HOA.

My neighbors brother lives over there, and he acted like that was impressive or a big deal.

I just reread my comments.
Okay, you are correct, I'm too cheap to live over there, and wouldn't fit in anyway.

At least I know my preferences.

JP
JP.mpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:47 AM   #106
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

it may happen, it may have to happen but i hope we never have to live somewhere where we have to share a wall with someone else. to each their own.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 01:09 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
it may happen, it may have to happen but i hope we never have to live somewhere where we have to share a wall with someone else. to each their own.
Two loud bands rehearse in my basement (on hiatus due to Covid of course). I don't think anyone would want to share a wall with me

We plan on staying here until it's unsafe...if we get lazy before that time we'll just hire out lawn care and snow clearing.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 01:25 PM   #108
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
Two loud bands rehearse in my basement (on hiatus due to Covid of course). I don't think anyone would want to share a wall with me

We plan on staying here until it's unsafe...if we get lazy before that time we'll just hire out lawn care and snow clearing.
we've...i've...been smart (some might say 'lazy') for years. we've had a lawn service for nearly 3-decades now. didn't want to waste perfectly good 'let's-get-out-in-the-RV' time by cutting grass. and prior to our first snowbird trip 4-years ago we wanted to make the house appear to be lived in so we hired a snow removal crew. we've missed two snowbird trips since then, including this year, but we've kept the snow service.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 01:33 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
we've...i've...been smart (some might say 'lazy') for years. we've had a lawn service for nearly 3-decades now. didn't want to waste perfectly good 'let's-get-out-in-the-RV' time by cutting grass. and prior to our first snowbird trip 4-years ago we wanted to make the house appear to be lived in so we hired a snow removal crew. we've missed two snowbird trips since then, including this year, but we've kept the snow service.
I've lived on 1.7 acres for a couple decades and am too cheap to pay for lawn service for that much land. Using a riding mower isn't that bad though.

Regarding snow clearing...I still prefer to do it by hand even though I have a 100' double width driveway and 3 decks that I like to keep clear. As far as can tell I'm the only neighbor that shovels by hand. They probably either think I'm crazy or too broke to afford a blower

I just treat it as a workout and skip the weights when it snows.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote