Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-22-2020, 06:57 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskyk View Post
.... IIRC, it regularly was ranked the 48th poorest state in the nation.

When I lived in NM there was a saying "Thank goodness for Mississippi". Because on all the various subject rating lists, MS was almost always worse than NM.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2020, 07:42 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

LOL - that's right! I'd forgotten.

I had such a nice life there - just goes to show how varied one's experience of a place can be!

I'm sure there are people who love Mississippi.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:15 PM   #23

DW and I retired to NM. When I retired, DW wanted to move to NM. It was part of the deal: we moved multiple times for my work, and DW got to pick the retirement spot. She was from ABQ, and we retired to NM. We previously lived in every western state except NM (including AK), and moved to NM from Colorado. So far it's been great, and compares well to the other rural intermountain states. There are seasons here without being a lot of snow. Yes, statistically the property crime is high in NM, but everywhere I ever lived, including rural Idaho and SW colorado, had property crime. I view the property crime in NM the way people in Houston TX viewed murders when I lived there: it depends upon where you are, when you are there, and who you are with. The statistical poorness of the state probably has to do with the large number of Native Pueblos and reservations. The rest of the state is no different than Idaho or Nevada that is not Clark County. If you ever watched the local news in rural towns like Billings, Grand Junction, or Twin Falls, the ABQ newscasts are not that much different. There is not a lot going on in NM.

We like NM just fine. The people are friendly, the COL is good. We used our money from the sale of a house in Colorado and purchased a larger house for less money in NM.
Our car insurance (and umbrella insurance) went down when we moved to NM from the Denver area. The weather is great, and we are still live at 5000 ft, in a dry climate which is our preferred environment. NM is a little backward compared to AZ, TX, and CO which is just great with me. We didn't want a big pushy AZ, CO, or TX environment to retire to. NM society is not pushy.

The choice between the California coast and an intermountain state like NM is quite stark, even if you pick one of the trendy glamorous intermountain towns like Sedona, Santa Fe, or Colorado's Roaring Fork Valley. Totally different cultural and social environments. You probably should do some extended visiting to the various places first.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:21 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
DW and I retired to NM. When I retired, DW wanted to move to NM. It was part of the deal: we moved multiple times for my work, and DW got to pick the retirement spot. She was from ABQ, and we retired to NM. We previously lived in every western state except NM (including AK), and moved to NM from Colorado. So far it's been great, and compares well to the other rural intermountain states. There are seasons here without being a lot of snow. Yes, statistically the property crime is high in NM, but everywhere I ever lived, including rural Idaho and SW colorado, had property crime. I view the property crime in NM the way people in Houston TX viewed murders when I lived there: it depends upon where you are, when you are there, and who you are with. The statistical poorness of the state probably has to do with the large number of Native Pueblos and reservations. The rest of the state is no different than Idaho or Nevada that is not Clark County. If you ever watched the local news in rural towns like Billings, Grand Junction, or Twin Falls, the ABQ newscasts are not that much different. There is not a lot going on in NM.

We like NM just fine. The people are friendly, the COL is good. We used our money from the sale of a house in Colorado and purchased a larger house for less money in NM.
Our car insurance (and umbrella insurance) went down when we moved to NM from the Denver area. The weather is great, and we are still live at 5000 ft, in a dry climate which is our preferred environment. NM is a little backward compared to AZ, TX, and CO which is just great with me. We didn't want a big pushy AZ, CO, or TX environment to retire to. NM society is not pushy.

The choice between the California coast and an intermountain state like NM is quite stark, even if you pick one of the trendy glamorous intermountain towns like Sedona, Santa Fe, or Colorado's Roaring Fork Valley. Totally different cultural and social environments. You probably should do some extended visiting to the various places first.
How would you describe big and pushy? I find that an interesting comment.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:26 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollyquick View Post
Now it has a lot of crime, gangs, and is probably the heroin capitol of the US, sadly.
Not quite. I believe the OP lives in Ohio (for now) which actually has about double the opioid overdose incidence of NM.

https://www.drugabuse.gov/drugs-abus...aries-by-state

So, not wanting to paint with too broad a brush, but it appears lots of people find a way to live amid the dark side of their respective states and sometimes, states get a bum rap on some stuff.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:16 AM   #26

Porky warning 1.jpg
Old 04-23-2020, 11:04 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I also found NM to be laid back and I thoroughly enjoyed this vibe.

It was siesta and manana (oops, can't find a tilde) in a gracious way
Old 04-23-2020, 02:19 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Not quite. I believe the OP lives in Ohio (for now) which actually has about double the opioid overdose incidence of NM.

https://www.drugabuse.gov/drugs-abus...aries-by-state

So, not wanting to paint with too broad a brush, but it appears lots of people find a way to live amid the dark side of their respective states and sometimes, states get a bum rap on some stuff.

Yeah, NM is no longer #1. Sadly Ohio just got much worse to claim the top spot :-(

https://www.drugabuse.gov/opioid-sum...-related-harms
Old 04-25-2020, 01:27 PM   #29

I grew up in ABQ and spent lots of my adult life going back to visit my brothers and parents until 2010 when my dad died. There seems to be lots of crime, even in upscale areas like where my parents lived. My brother worked in the DA’s office in juvenile crime for a number of years. He had so many gruesome cases against seniors that we tried to get our parents to move to Texas, to no avail.

Another brother moved to Glendale, CA last year from a Santa Fe, because their home in an exclusive community was burglarized 5 times in a year. And many times in previous years. Anyway, I’m just saying I wouldn’t move there, as much as I like the scenery.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 02:22 PM   #30

Quote:
LOL - that's right! I'd forgotten.

I had such a nice life there - just goes to show how varied one's experience of a place can be!

I'm sure there are people who love Mississippi.
I love Mississippi! Different strokes for different folks I guess. [emoji2]
Old 04-25-2020, 03:26 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Avoid ABQ at all costs. I visited NW ABQ many times around the Intel plant (zip codes 87124 & 87144) and once considered retiring there.... but the crime rate is VERY HIGH. Everyone who works there has bad stories. Huge meth and heroin problems, terrible economy. Last visited in 2019 -- never again. Intel plant has laid off most staff and is likely closing which will wreck Rio Ranch economy (87124). Santa Fe is possibility. Los Alamos area has very high cancer rates. Espanola has cheap meth & heroin. Las Cruces = third world. The "Land of Enchantment" is pretty but also pretty hopeless.
samm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 07:51 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow, looks like the general consensus is stay away unless I like crime (and I don’t)! Thanks!
Poopycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 07:54 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollyquick View Post
Yeah, NM is no longer #1. Sadly Ohio just got much worse to claim the top spot :-(

https://www.drugabuse.gov/opioid-sum...-related-harms
I do live in OH for now, and am totally oblivious to the opioid epidemic. I guess I’m too huddled up in my house trying to hide from Mr. Coronavirus to notice any opioid addicts running around. When I do go out, I’m focused on keeping away from the disrespectful cyclists and runners who don’t seem to care about social distancing
Poopycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 07:55 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Haven't lived in NM but have visited Las Cruces many times and like it. Smaller college town compared to Albuquerque, not sure about crime but always felt safe there, real estate prices are reasonable.
On my list of places to visit. It was going to be this summer (a multi-week trip wandering around the Southwest), but ...
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 04:03 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Have you thought of living overseas? No idea about NM but if you love the sea and want that to be in your daily life but can't afford or accept the taxes, medical costs, etc. in Calif/West Coast (who can??) why not try an overseas destination? I live in Vietnam by the sea, the cost of living is lower than you can imagine, no taxes to speak of and plenty of other benefits. S. America has a lot of interesting choices too and much closer to home. Expand your horizon, you might just find exactly what you are looking for...
VungTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 04:14 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

You definitely wouldn’t like the storms in Texas, especially during tornado season. Lightning is the least of your concerns during a tornado warning
2cheap2eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 05:18 PM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cheap2eat View Post
You definitely wouldn’t like the storms in Texas, especially during tornado season. Lightning is the least of your concerns during a tornado warning
Throw some hail into the mix too.
Old 04-28-2020, 05:42 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
You generally don't have signs for stuff you don't have.

https://images.app.goo.gl/boG1ZBa4eQLgEyx68
I'd be very surprised if you could find a state without those. MAYBE Utah, but I bet they have them, too.
Vinnygret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:05 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post

+1. This is the most realistic take on NM in my opinion. I lived in ABQ beginning in 2003 for 5 years. My brother still lives there with his 4 kids and my Mom retired there from MD. It's a low COL area and you get a lot of bang for your buck on houses. Very outdoorsy and beautiful views, especially sunsets. Sandia mountains are pretty big and impressive. I mountain bike and the trails in the foothills were great. Love the laid back vibe of the place. The only thing for me is I'm single and I don't think it's that great for a single person. I hear the crime is high there but I never had any problems nor know anyone who has. SW ABQ is the poorest part. It is a love or hate place but, just like someone posted before, it fills my soul.
scottpush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:32 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

My family moved to ABQ in 1963 when I was in 5th grade, and I left after graduating from UNM. My sister is still in ABQ (NE Heights), a friend is in the process of moving from the West Mesa into the northern NE Heights (he's bought the new place but the loan for the buyer of his old house got stalled in the virus commotion) and my mom lives in the Belen/Los Lunas area south of town towards Socorro.

So keep in mind I left in 1976. I liked New Mexico, and it was hard to get used to living in northern Louisiana for a couple of years because it was too green. Compared to here in San Francisco (since 1979) ABQ gets hotter and colder and windier and dustier. I always enjoyed the thunderstorms.

Traffic appears to be horrible. My friend was commuting for a couple of years recently from the West Mesa to Kirtland AFB for a contract job, and the commute traffic going from one side of town to the other was a nightmare. My mom still goes into ABQ for an occasional doctor appt and says that coming from the south of town the traffic is also bad on that side.

I can't address the crime, but it sounds like the ABQ PD and Bernalillo Co Sheriffs have a known rep for shooting first and asking questions about innocence later. I think they've been under DoJ monitoring for that, and from news articles I've seen small-town cops in other parts of the state can be just as bad.

10 or 15 years ago on a visit there I talked to a ranger at one of the state parks near the Rio Grande. I asked what the water situation was, and I was told that the fossil aquifers were being drained very quickly and replenishment was not happening. My mom lives on Ag land on the outskirts of her town and uses irrigation for hay crops, and that water is in demand and it sounds like the quantities available are diminishing.

From what my friend told me house prices look to be 1/5th of what they are here in my area of San Francisco, but then that is true of a lot of places. He's not had much good to say about the economy.

There is a lot of beautiful country in the state and you don't get the cold/snow of the northern Great Plains or the heat of PHX or LV. You will probably replace a windshield now and then due to sandblasting by the windstorms. I'd much rather live in NM than the South/MidWest where the humidity is so stifling. As mentioned, a swamp cooler can do the job in the summer (unless you like it really cold in the house) and for probably a lot less expense than refrigerated A/C.

ABQ is very sprawled now compared to when I left. My friend's new place is miles from the city limits, and near where I and others used to ride our dirt bikes in the early 1970s, unloading at the north edge of town.

Socorro can get very hot. It and Portales have small colleges which can be a plus. If you are into rockhounding there's lots of chances for that, and the college at Socorro has a state geology office and museum there and if you are passing through that is worth a couple hour visit if you like that kind of thing.

cheers,
Michael
Michael Moore is offline   Reply With Quote