Thread For Translation Help

In Italian, pronto means ready.

Presto is soon or quickly

Subito is right away/immediately.

Haha

Have you encountered this site? Spanish WordReference Forums

It's a very active community of Spanish and English speakers from all over the world who help each other out with translation and grammar. The forum rules are somewhat strict in terms of staying focused on the language purpose - i.e. no "chatting", but still staying completely on topic you can have some interesting conversations.

Just yesterday I stumbled across a fascinatin discussion of what names were used for pecan vs. walnut, and just "nut" in general. It varied wildly across LA countries. Very informative.

Audrey

I am also seriously working on my Spanish right now. I have been watching the evening telenovelas on Telemundo. There is a Columbian remake of "Grey's Anatomy" that is really very good and I'm hooked. It's produced by the original creator of "Ugly Betty". www.canalrcnmsn.com | Nuestra Tele

And the goofy Telemundo (US) produced "Perro Amor" has been very entertaining as well.

Audrey

Um, anyone have a translation for "nurona" which I think is Mexican slang?

Audrey

Ahora is not so much a word as an attitide. Politicians use it lot.
Ahorita is even worse.

Right now is ahora mismo.

Haha

Have you encountered this site? Spanish WordReference Forums

It's a very active community of Spanish and English speakers from all over the world who help each other out with translation and grammar. The forum rules are somewhat strict in terms of staying focused on the language purpose - i.e. no "chatting", but still staying completely on topic you can have some interesting conversations.

Thanks for pointing me to this site Audrey. I registered there today. Looks very helpful.

I have my weekly meeting with the Spanish speaking drinkers tonight too. Nothing like a drink to aid fluency, though perhaps not accuracy.

Ha

In Peru, "de repente" means maybe or perhaps, whereas the dictionary meaning is usually "suddenly." I never heard "de pronto," but I used it a few times to mean suddenly. I'm not sure if I was understood or not.

In Brazilian Portuguese, "de repente" always means "suddenly".

As to "amanhã" (the Portuguese equivalent of "mañana"), the major mistake tourists make is to think of the dictionary meaning, "tomorrow".
When I was a recent arrival in Brazil, a friend explained that for all practical purposes, the translation was "not today".

Thanks for pointing me to this site Audrey. I registered there today. Looks very helpful.

I have my weekly meeting with the Spanish speaking drinkers tonight too. Nothing like a drink to aid fluency, though perhaps not accuracy.

Ha
Cool! I'm glad you liked it. I think it is a pretty amazing forum and the geographical diversity is impressive. Here is a link to a rather fascinating thread I stumbled on to last night after searching about spanish names for pecan and walnut - something I always was unsure about: pecan - WordReference Forums. And now I know why! (and that even "hispanohablantes" get confused about it).

Audrey

I just returned from my meeting, which is only a 10 minute walk away. It was still gong strong when I left. I had so much fun! I have tried these things before but I think the missing ingrediant was booze. There must have been 50 people there, all jabbering away in small groups pretty much like any cocktail party, but thanks to the heavy dose of Latinos everything was livelier. To my surprise the majority of the members were Latinos. All the cleavage on display seems to be a pretty good draw for them, and the chance to speak Spanish works for us Anglos.

I met a great middle aged Puerto Rican woman who lives close by and she likes dancing as much as I do, entonces vamos a bailar!

Ha

Felicitaciones Ha! Pero las borinqueñas hablan muy rápidamente.

Ha
I haven't posted much there lately, but I used to participate a lot (WordReference.com). I still go there frequently for translations. It's a great site.

I just returned from my meeting, which is only a 10 minute walk away. It was still gong strong when I left. I had so much fun! I have tried these things before but I think the missing ingrediant was booze. There must have been 50 people there, all jabbering away in small groups pretty much like any cocktail party, but thanks to the heavy dose of Latinos everything was livelier. To my surprise the majority of the members were Latinos. All the cleavage on display seems to be a pretty good draw for them, and the chance to speak Spanish works for us Anglos.

I met a great middle aged Puerto Rican woman who lives close by and she likes dancing as much as I do, entonces vamos a bailar!

Ha
Is this a language session or a singles meet? :)

Would the mods have a problem with a spanish language joke posted in the joke thread? It's a bit off color but no more so than many of the native language jokes there...

Would the mods have a problem with a spanish language joke posted in the joke thread? It's a bit off color but no more so than many of the native language jokes there...

It is definitely a language session, but as they say no place to learn a language like on a pillow. Anyway, a crowded noisy bar is not a natural first pick venue for greasy grinds looking to conjugate verbs.

Anyway, the woman I met is not my type, but she is very nice, loves to dance and I am always looking for non-gringa dance partners for la salsa, la cumbia, el merengue, la bachata, ... For me, dancing is a goal of its own. It is not as intense as sex, but you can do it way longer and usually you don't get in trouble for spreading yourself around.

Dancing and food are really good non-boring topics to talk to Latinos and Latinas about. They are interested and they understand these topics, and they are quite surprised when an old gringo also understands and is interested. I learned la cumbia in its birthplace way before most of these folks were born, and before salsa meant anything beyond sauce.

I totally enjoy conversations with latinos also because they structure reality differently. Our usual structuring is severely truncated by comparison.

Ha

Only if it's not funny :D

My new favorite cartoon:

Attachments

• esl.gif
    esl.gif
    44.4 KB · Views: 24
but as they say no place to learn a language like on a pillow.
Certainly my experience :)

Dancing and food are really good non-boring topics to talk to Latinos and Latinas about. They are interested and they understand these topics, and they are quite surprised when an old gringo also understands and is interested. I learned la cumbia in its birthplace way before most of these folks were born.
Ha, if you speak the language and can to the music you will change in a very positive way the way latinos see gringos...

Only if it's not funny :D
Joke posted. If there's a problem let me know and I'll find a way to remedy. Translations provided upon request.:)

It is definitely a language session, but as they say no place to learn a language like on a pillow.

That's how I made my greatest strides while learning English.;)

Joke posted. If there's a problem let me know and I'll find a way to remedy. Translations provided upon request.:)

I read the joke and I don't think it will lose anything in the translation--why not post a (euphemistically worded where appropriate) translation too?

Back
Top Bottom