Three weeks left

setab

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm a Boomer, but I can change, if I have to, I guess. Three weeks from today I retire from the Federal Government and I am borderline euphoric! It came a little faster than I thought it would, but I'm not looking back. I have a house payment, some credit card debt and a car payment, but I have a pension of about $55,000, a low six figure balance in my TSP and several offers coming in to work after this. I will, no doubt do a little something, but if I have to, I cash in the TSP, pay off the cards and reinvest the remainder. The best part...the absolute best part...is that from here on out, I am making the decisions about what I do and don't do and those of you who haven't gotten to this point yet have no idea how liberating that is. The only plans I have right now are to shop for new golf clubs this week end. Woo Woo!! And I have to say, reading this board for a few short months has given me the little push I needed. Thanks all.

setab

Setab,

Congratulations and good luck! Don't want to rain on your parade but with house payments, car payments and credit card debt, this might not be the time for new golf clubs. :LOL:

Grumpy

Grumpy,

Thanks. Don't worry, I'll be fine. Lots of options out there and just considering them is more fun than what I've been doing.

setab

Congrats, Setab!

Watch out for those job offers. They really enhance your ego but they involve an unbelievable amount of... work.

You might find that even being expected to show up in an office two or three times a week is a big conflict with your new commitments & lifestyle, especially having to support a set of high-maintenance golf clubs.

Setab,

I retired from NASA in 2002 and then worked for a NASA contractor two to three days a week for two years until my wife retired. That gave me a nice gradual transition to full retirement. It also allowed me to save big $ since I was collecting my gov't pension and making more working three days a week than I would have made if I had stayed in the civil service. Something to consider.

Grumpy

Sounds good, enjoy it.

Any plans to pursue new interests? Senior Tour maybe?

I have lots of plans swirling in my head right now, but I am going to let them settle down before I act on them. I am not a good golfer; I just miss it and want to get back to it. I want to refine my eating habits and drop a bunch of weight, write some, pursue my wine collecting hobby, and maybe, evenwork for a contractor a few days a week, month or whatever. However, I have no firm plans and don't plan to have any for a month or two after March 3. All I can say is, this is exciting and I am ready to move to the next phase of my life.

setab

Congrats - another success RE story of a soon retired federal employee.

setab said:
I have lots of plans swirling in my head right now, but I am going to let them settle down before I act on them.  I am not a good golfer; I just miss it and want to get back to it.  I want to refine my eating habits and drop a bunch of weight, write some, pursue my wine collecting hobby, and maybe, evenwork for a contractor a few days a week, month or whatever.  However, I have no firm plans and don't plan to have any for a month or two after March 3.  All I can say is, this is exciting and I am ready to move to the next phase of my life.
See, you've already answered the "Waddya DO all day" question and you haven't even started ER yet!

Enjoy.

Nords,

Thanks. You hit on another key point for me. With all I have to do yet, I just don't have time to work anymore.

setab

Nords said:
Congrats, Setab!

Watch out for those job offers.  They really enhance your ego but they involve an unbelievable amount of... work. 

My ego must not be that big. I know I could land a job once I retire, but no way in hell. 7 years & 3 months to go, but who's countiing ....

Back
Top Bottom