Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-05-2008, 09:29 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm not believing that Khan is a woman. Just because he/she looks like his/her mom doesn't mean that.

I'm thinking back to a post where Khan said something like 'I'm just a white guy' or something and I thought... hmmm, I always pictured him as Asian (I think because of the Khan character on King of the Hill)

Will the real Khan please stand up?

EDIT: Ok, I went to read the other posts that NW was referring to in the Ripped Tendon thread. Sorry, I guess I was just thinking you were a guy and that other quote must have been "I just white" or something. Ok, so I'm my mind you have gone from an Asian guy to a white lady... Interesting!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2008, 09:57 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
No. But I admit I would be more impressed that you changed your engine oil. I had to run off to double check your old post to be sure. I know of no woman doing that. Nor one who sampled squirrels!
My SIL is a Volvo certified mechanic... I think she changes her own oil but she cheats by throwing it on the lift at work.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:33 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
But does knowledge of my gender (or age or whatever) change how you interpret what I write?
This is an interesting question. Perhaps you feel that it should not. I feel the opposite- not about you in particular but about any person. What could be more salient about a person than his or her sex, age, place of residence, etc.? The rest is largely smoke.

Ha
Old 08-06-2008, 06:15 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I was putting clothes on the line about 11AM on a cool (for August) dry morning and I experienced something.
Zen?
Tao?
Fugue state?
Oneness with the Universe?
A temporary losing of the boundaries between self and not-self?

This has happened before: On the point of a St Croix beach at 2AM on a moonless night standing in the Trade Winds watching the surf.

Minor and insignificant in the universe at large, but a bit interesting and disconcerting.
Oh yeah, I get this feeling when I drink too much moon shine.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:19 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Is "howling at the moon" part of being one with the universe?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:55 AM   #46

An altered state and not chemically induced -- wish I could experience that. No epiphany?
Old 08-06-2008, 09:34 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

It has always been a surreal experience for me. Everything around me was so vivid and alive while I simply did not exist. Yet, I was able to see it all and feel it.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:01 AM   #48
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Oh yeah, I get this feeling when I drink too much moon shine.
All human societies have sought mind-altering experiences through various combinations of drugs, fasting, meditation, physical activity...

This popped into mind:

Quote:
I've found the best way to shop for food is to work up a really big appetite. Fast for several days, smoke a couple of joints, take $700... and go to the supermarket! It's great. You buy everything! "Wow, canned bread! Just what I need!"
- George Carlin
Old 08-06-2008, 10:02 AM   #49
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Is "howling at the moon" part of being one with the universe?
"On a hot summer night" ?
Old 08-06-2008, 10:19 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

They told me that the sun turned green, I said I didn't know
And then they told me that the moon turned blue, I said it didn't show
And then they told me that I looked like a fool, I even said I'd let that go
But when they told that that our love was dead, I had to turn and go.

Hot summer's day, carry me along
To the end, that's where I begin...

It's A Beautiful Day, Hot Summer's Day

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:32 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Wow, and here I was thinking "Stray Cat Strut"....
Old 08-06-2008, 10:48 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
It has always been a surreal experience for me. Everything around me was so vivid and alive while I simply did not exist. Yet, I was able to see it all and feel it.
how can you know that you "simply did not exist". the closest you might be able to describe such "an experience" would be one of coming into or going out of existing, not one of nonexistence which would be nonexperienced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
An altered state and not chemically induced -- wish I could experience that. No epiphany?
from what i've read on some forum discussions, seems mostly the kids today are less into epiphany and more into using their dreams as video gaming. could be worthy practice nonetheless. epiphany can be so overrated and perhaps not all that long lasting.

you will likely understand yourself better and more deeply by exploring yourself on your own than by instruction of a book. but while a book is good for confirmation of what you might have just personally experienced, i suppose, there's also the "why bother reinventing the wheel" argument, especially when in western culture this type of thinking seems so very less than ingrained that we just might be a few 1000 years behind our times. so, here's a wheel:

How to learn to have Lucid Dreams

like the third world industrializing, playing catch-up can be dangerous. but for those without the patience to learn themselves just what they are made, one can force the issue with a bit of trauma, as khan suggests....

Quote:
All human societies have sought mind-altering experiences through various combinations of drugs, fasting, meditation, physical activity...
Fainting game - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:42 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
how can you know that you "simply did not exist". the closest you might be able to describe such "an experience" would be one of coming into or going out of existing, not one of nonexistence which would be nonexperienced.
I feel my heart beat, the sun on my skin, my hair touching my face, the moisture in my mouth and on my lips. When I have this experience, I feel none of that. It happens in a flash and I'm not aware of going out of or coming into existence. I simply observe everything around me. Everything I observe seems to have life...and a soul.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:07 PM   #54

not to discount any wonder of such experience, simply saying that acknowledgment, recognition or awareness (etc.) alone of phenomena implies both observer and observed, so confers separation, not at oneness.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
Old 08-06-2008, 12:15 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I understand. The experience is strange and even more difficult to explain.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:18 PM   #56

"die before your death"~~the prophet mohammed

Old 08-06-2008, 04:20 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbooth View Post
meanwhile, below on a cruise-liner, several hundred innocent souls seeing a light-aircraft plummeting down into thier summer vacation bliss, seemingly with nobody in control (or the pilot under the influence of mild-altering drugs) were frantically running for cover, sheltering thier children or down on thier knees praying for deliverance. But hey, just as long as you were in the zone! :d
;d;d;d;d;d
Old 08-06-2008, 06:14 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I am guilty of this sterotyping . In fact Meadbh , I thought you were a guy . Your avatar used to be a guy sitting on the beach . So I guess we are all gender confused on the internet.
Moe, IIRC I got that photo from the web and just thought it was cool!

Meadbh (aka Audrey Hepburn in my last avatar)
Definitely a girl!

And speaking of avatars.....I see you are now the Girl from Ipanema, complete with fruit basket on head.
Next thing you will be saying you are a man.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:50 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

We can state our gender on our profile and post replies with reference to same, however we are unable to prove we are a particular sex on this forum. Hmmmm....

Yours truly,

Leo
Old 08-06-2008, 07:49 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

I've gotten the feeling often. Whether its in a crowd watching a child play, looking at the stars, alone in nature... its always the same yet different each time. I often get the feeling when I smudge (if you know what that is you'll understand).
missionfinder is offline   Reply With Quote