Today I told my coworkers

Ally

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This afternoon I told my coworkers that I will retire in June,(I am the boss,) and at first they got really upset. Some ran out of the room saying they refused to hear it. The others were crying. I told them what a great team they are and I fully expected one of them to apply and expected them to do a great job. I told them this was their opportunity to do things differently and try what they wanted to do. After awhile, they started telling my assistant that she should apply and that they would support her, etc. She would do a great job and I told her that I had already told the board president that she would be wonderful. Now it is starting to feel real that I will be able to leave in June. :dance:

Congratulations! It's a good feeling knowing you'll be missed by people when you leave, yet knowing they'll continue to do well.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Way to go, Ally!

Change is difficult and it seems you've taken a great approach to involving your team in the whole process, which really makes it go much better.

Got that countdown calendar ready?

Congratulations!!! Not only on retiring, but also on cultivating a staff that cares and most importantly, on developing people so your assistant is prepared to take over.

Change is hard.

Well done!!!

There are five of us and two of us have worked together 31 years, two more 24 and 25 years, and the newest 15 years. We are all great friends, so it's hard, but I feel good knowing that they are so capable.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

You misspelled "cow-orkers"... :p

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

Great team they must have had a great mentor. Congratulations.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Thanks so much, I've been very fortunate. 😊

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

The best leaders leave their organizations in the hands of people who are ready to take them to the next level. It appears you have been able to achieve this, Ally. Well done!

Congrats

This is going to be the hardest part of me leaving too. I have a very small team (4 here 4 overseas). We've all worked together for a while and through a lot..layoffs, chapter 11 etc so we are close. Even though they are capable there is still a sense of responsibility for the team that will linger ...for a few minutes anyways :p

Wow, you sound like a great person to work for. Your story sounds like something that happens on another plant. I wouldn't cry if my boss was leaving and nobody would cry for sure if I was leaving. Honestly.

Congratulations!

I am so impressed with the way you've handled this and with the response from your team. You must be wonderful to work with. May your retirement be twice as great.

Thank you, all! Maybe the crying is because we are all women? I went to our other locations today to tell them and they all cried, too. One manager told me that she would miss me, because I am a peacemaker. I asked her if she would quit when I left, and she said no, but she anticipated having to deal with more chaos, no matter who took my position. I appreciated her telling me that. I've been very fortunate to work with all of them.

Update: after adjusting to the idea that I'm leaving in June, I've found out that my assistant plans to apply, as I hoped. I've stepped back a little and am pleased to see my coworkers take charge successfully in a few situations. I'm really happy they are handling things so well.

I've had several directors from other businesses congratulate me and surprisingly a few have also cried. It's very kind of them to care so much. I'm starting to feel like I will have accomplished quite a bit and affected many people in my chosen career. It's wonderful to not go out with a negative experience.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Update: after adjusting to the idea that I'm leaving in June, I've found out that my assistant plans to apply, as I hoped. I've stepped back a little and am pleased to see my coworkers take charge successfully in a few situations. I'm really happy they are handling things so well.

I've had several directors from other businesses congratulate me and surprisingly a few have also cried. It's very kind of them to care so much. I'm starting to feel like I will have accomplished quite a bit and affected many people in my chosen career. It's wonderful to not go out with a negative experience.
Congrats on a great career and leaving on a positive note, make sure your next life chapter is even better.

I suspect you and the coworkers will continue to be good friends for a long time. Congrats and well done Ally!

Back
Top Bottom