Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-05-2015, 02:09 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So wonderful! Enjoy yourself!
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2015, 02:15 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
Resignation submitted but my end date could be as much as 3 months out. I agreed to finish the project I'm on or until I'm not needed.

I'm leaving when there really isn't an overabundance of work. Our Upstream division will undoubtedly have layoffs. My Downstream group is not in critical shape but the amount of new work is slowing.

My boss and the company have been very good to me. I am carrying around an empty BS bucket. Nothing is making me leave from the employment end. It's just time. It's actually been time to go about three years ago.

Where's BBQ-nut? I didn't mean to beat him to the formal announcement here but it looks like I did.
Congrats 2B!
Old 01-05-2015, 02:19 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
Resignation submitted but my end date could be as much as 3 months out. I agreed to finish the project I'm on or until I'm not needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
2B has been cured of OMY-syndrome .... a MAJOR MAJOR accomplishment. Congratulations I'm proud of you !
I don't know. Lets see how long he suffers through TMM (Three More Months)-syndrome. I'm not congratulating him until he walks out the door for the last time.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:24 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I don't know. Lets see how long he suffers through TMM (Three More Months)-syndrome. I'm not congratulating him until he walks out the door for the last time.
+1

It ain't over 'till it's over.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:52 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

It ain't over 'till it's over.
"or until I'm not needed." I guess he did leave the door open a crack.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:37 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
"or until I'm not needed." I guess he did leave the door open a crack.
It's "needed on this project." It's not for other projects. Unless business picks up a lot my voluntary departure will be appreciated.

I'm "needed" because I've been doing a very specific activity on the project and it would be difficult to have someone take over so near the end. It could be done but it would be sloppy. The poor sap that got the assignment would hate me for it and I'd hate them if they had dumped it on me.

I'm cooperative because I've been treated very well. If I had any animosity I'd be gone with 2 weeks notice. Three months is much longer than it will probably go. I'm expecting early to mid-February.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:39 PM   #47

Quote:
It was really hard getting up to go in this morning after 2 weeks off. I expect it to get continuously more painful. 100% of my pay will be going into my 401k unless I can tell I'll go into late February and then I'll cut back to be sure I'll still get the company match.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:28 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+2!
Old 01-05-2015, 04:30 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Wonderful, 2B! I was waiting to see if you'd really pull the trigger. I am aiming to tell my partners at The Firm that my wo*k days are numbered. You are helping to encourage me. Unfortunately, my BS bucket is enduring a gushing overflow at this point....
Old 01-05-2015, 04:51 PM   #50

Quote:

Chuckle. Good point. Without a filled up BS bucket at work, 2B may not to be when it comes to RE in 3. Will send my congrats to his "narcissistic" thread the day after his last day at work.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:39 PM   #51
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post
Monday I give formal notice to leave from megacorp and retire!

I'll offer the standard two week separation period, but if I get walked to the door sooner - fine by me!

Next chapter about to start - looking forward to it!
BBQ-NUT....How did it go today?
Patagonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:25 AM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sorry - but this forum is blocked at work! And last night I had a bunch of personal matters to attended to.

Yesterday was surreal.

Got to work, but was not under the post Holiday face icky Monday morning cloud.

I sat at my computer and surprisingly remembered my password (heard later folks were waiting for IT help to reset everyone's passwords who had forgotten over the break).

I composed my 'letter' of resignation email to my functional supervisor and sat and looked at it for about 10 minutes - awash in different feelings, but the overriding one was that of excitement of pulling the trigger...so...I hit 'send'.

I had intimated to my functional before the break that I was pondering choices in 2015 as the current program I was on was 'downsizing' and I would be moved to a different program.

So, it wasn't a total surprise to my functional.

He replied he was sad to see me go, but would start the separation process.

Then I set about telling the team members - starting with the more senior management first and just kinda chit chatting it up.

Everyone was a bit surprised! Saying I was too 'young' to retire and how did I manage to pull that off!

I really didn't do much w*rk at all - aside from starting to clean up my cubicle and dispose of years of engineering documentation and notes that now are irrelevant and out of date, but never tossed out til now.

My last day is next Thursday.

Not sure what will be going on between now and then - there are some things to wrap up but it really is now about the 'handoff' to the designated person who will pick those tasks up...or not.

Then it was time to go home.

Like I said a bit surreal.
BBQ-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:28 AM   #53

Good for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:02 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

It is a big step. Congratulations!
Old 01-06-2015, 08:04 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post
My last day is next Thursday.

Not sure what will be going on between now and then - there are some things to wrap up but it really is now about the 'handoff' to the designated person who will pick those tasks up...or not.

Then it was time to go home.

Like I said a bit surreal.
Congratulations. You'll beat me by a few weeks.

DW and I decided to defer the champagne until I am truly retired.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:19 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Good going, BBQ! Like you, I am discretely cleaning out my office bit by bit. But I don't give notice till next week...
Old 01-06-2015, 09:01 AM   #57
Dryer sheet wannabe

Sincere congrats! Thanks for the update. Do you mind sharing how young is too young for retiring?
Patagonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:23 AM   #58

BBQ - sounds like it went well.
2B - remember, you'll get a lot of grief here (in good nature) if you let it go past 3 months. We're holding you to April 5th at the latest... or else you really will be in 3 more months mode.
Mo Money - good luck in your notice giving in a few weeks.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:49 PM   #59

BBQ, congratulations! I wish I could just send someone an email to retire. Unfortunately, I have to tell a board and give them more than a couple of weeks. That must be heaven to be able to leave so soon!
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:00 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Congratulations. But I do have to ask, what kind of place do you work in where you would be concerned that they might walk you to the door when you announce your retirement?
Many places do that, sometimes internal security demands it.

I did ask HR to walk one person to the door. She wasn't a security risk, I didn't expect she couldn't find her way out by herself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote