Join Early Retirement Today

Too late to plan a March stay?
Old 01-19-2020, 10:25 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Too late to plan a March stay?

I am recovering from a major surgery, and didn't think we could go anywhere this winter, but now we think it's doable.

We are looking to go somewhere for a month, but I have no idea if we can even find something at this point. Preferably, we don't want to live in a hotel, as I doubt we will meet new people, etc.. Some nice criteria would be golf, community pool, other young retiree's, and warm.

Any thoughts on where I would even look (both in location as well as any link for housing)? I'd prefer not to look at Florida as I like to hike, but if that's my only option, I'm not opposed to it.
Kelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2020, 10:28 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelor View Post
We are looking to go somewhere for a month
That's kind of vague, since we don't even know where you are now.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:30 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A lot of people wintering in Arizona leave after February. It won't be hot in March, but the Phoenix area should get into the 80's during the day. Check the usual short term rental sites.
Another Reader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 10:30 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
That's kind of vague, since we don't even know where you are now.
My apologies . I'm in Minnesnowta. I guess I'm thinking AZ, CA, TX, FL.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:34 AM   #5

Palm Springs, CA has wonderful hiking, pleasant weather, and you could probably find a vacation rental for a month in March.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 10:37 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

What are the usual vacation rental websites that I should be searching through? I don't see that VRBO is much help, and see on Zillow old postings that are already taken.

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2020, 10:44 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Here in Uruguay you can rent a house with a pool for all of March no problem with a sea view, golf is nearby and cheap with almost no waiting or having to book Tee times. Summer crowds have departed, lots of options...
Retired Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 10:48 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It is never too late. Inevitably, people who are renting have health issues arise and go home or have other personal emergencies and places open up and become available.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 01:24 PM   #9

There are always options depending on your budget.

For March, you can still book a cruise for 15 to 30+ days at numerous price points and itineraries.

https://www.expedia-aarp.com/Cruise-...sort-by=length

For potentially better last minute pricing, check Vacationstogo.com and the individual cruise line websites.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 02:02 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
OP - consider Airbnb as well, plus you could add HI to your list.

Another possibility is to check out long cruises, say a 20 or more day cruise, or two 14 day cruises on the same ship, back to back.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:28 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

You !like to hike? In March I'd send you to Saint George UT. So many upscale reasonable rentals to choose from..you'll find a 30 day rental with no problem..VRBO is awash with them, but pay no attention to the posted price. If you are interested in more details PM me. We've wintered there in and off for 20 years.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 02:32 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Vegas is warm and has mountains to hike.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 03:29 PM   #13

AirBnB has lots of places available in Palm Springs in March. You can also look in nearby communities of Indio, Palm Desert, Rancho Mirage, La Quinta. There's plenty of golf there and many condos have shared pools.

Not as warm as the deserts, but certainly warmer than Minnesota, would be all the So Cal coastal cities. Lots of places restrict short-term rentals of less than 26 nights, so it's harder to find listings on AirBnB and you would instead have to Google for local real estate agents who handle rentals. The city of San Diego is an exception and you can find lots of options on AirBnB. Look at the residential neighborhoods like Hillcrest and North Park if you want to be in a place where you can meet the neighbors.
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 04:39 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
You !like to hike? In March I'd send you to Saint George UT. So many upscale reasonable rentals to choose from..you'll find a 30 day rental with no problem..VRBO is awash with them, but pay no attention to the posted price. If you are interested in more details PM me. We've wintered there in and off for 20 years.
Thank you for the offer. I love the area, but we are looking for something a bit warmer. I am curious about your comment about VRBO posted price. How exaggerated is some of the VRBO pricing?
Old 01-19-2020, 04:54 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelor View Post
Thank you for the offer. I love the area, but we are looking for something a bit warmer. I am curious about your comment about VRBO posted price. How exaggerated is some of the VRBO pricing?
It's totally area dependent IMO. SGU has a glut of new housing,some built for short term rentals. I rented last year on a new golf course development two miles from Snow Canyon State park. The rental company did an email blast to the owners and I get a list of at least 15 units at amazing prices. They were basically bidding blind for my business. Let us know where you end up going and how hard is was to find a decent rental.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
March stay
Old 01-20-2020, 11:18 AM   #16
Dryer sheet aficionado

March stay

Go on corporate housing. They do month to month furnished housing. Usually cheaper than VRBO
Livin Large in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:28 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Plenty of places available in Coronado (San Diego) for march on Homeaway - great place .
marinauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:33 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin Large in MT View Post
Go on corporate housing. They do month to month furnished housing. Usually cheaper than VRBO
Corporate housing is usually cold and bleak. Where as most AirBnB tend to be more homey and comfortable. Especially if the Hosts live there part time as well. I used to do a fair amount of corporate housing for work and found them just a smidge better than an extended stay suite motel.

I have done much better with AirBnB instead of VRBO as a guest, but as a Host I down right don't like VRBO and will likely drop them.
Retired Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:59 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
It is never too late. Inevitably, people who are renting have health issues arise and go home or have other personal emergencies and places open up and become available.
Every time my buddy hears an ambulance (in SW FL) he says "another condo's available".
Old 01-20-2020, 09:18 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I talked to a couple of companies in Tucson today and was basically told "good luck". The Catalina Foothills seem to hit my personal criteria, but apparently there aren't many rental opportunities this late in the game.

I did see a nicely equipped 5th wheel available for rent at $60/day, and the nicest RV park is about $50/day. It's an option I'll talk to the lovely Mrs about tomorrow, but it doesn't seem optimal.

I might start looking closer to Phoenix.