Too poor to retire and too young to die - Follow up

eastnortheast

Recycles dryer sheets
Delores is proof, once again, that the value of one's character can vastly surpass any monetary value one possesses. I think she lived a better retirement than many adorned slaves that are chained to their $$. First time I heard of Delores was here / now. I now have one more role model.

Yeah, some folks do make poor choices; some also have their knees capped by life circumstances or events.

My DW has some chronic health issues. After having to cut a business trip short late last year and fly home to be with her after an "event," I called my boss and informed him 6-30-17 was it. We should be okay, but our portfolio could be larger. But I just decided that I wanted to spend as many remaining days on this rock with her, doing the things we want to do. No regrets. DS also understands that, if we both pass early, he'll inherit a decent stash. However, if life is benevolent to us, he'll have to have a "plan B."

DW mended nicely from latest issue and is in Asia on extended vaca. I'm wrapping up at work and waiting for her to come home in July. Then, we're gonna fool around with both domestic and international travel. :dance:

I really admire you for your dedication to your DW. Our life plan has already been written, however we've not been allowed to read it. Life is moving fast, and every year gets shorter every year.

My DW has mobility issues with mid foot arthritis, and we don't know how much travel is in her future. We took a transatlantic cruise ending in Rome and she was thrilled to see The Pope in St. Peters Square Easter Sunday. We've been in Budapest since then riding the Metro, trams and hiking all over town. I cannot tell you how proud I am are of her. She's not ready to hang up her Alegria rocker bottom shoes with the orthopedic inserts.

When our international travel is over, we still have 5 states in the Upper West that we've never seen. U.S. travel for those with walking issues is much easier than in dense cities. I still look forward to just "hitting the road" for indefinite timelines.

I actually found the story inspirational on a number of levels, primarily that Dolores appeared to live a very big life, and touched a lot of people in the process. Sometimes I feel that our relative wealth has made DH and me somewhat soft, and that's not a good thing IMHO. So who's to say which of us led/is living a better life.

I actually found the story inspirational on a number of levels, primarily that Dolores appeared to live a very big life, and touched a lot of people in the process. Sometimes I feel that our relative wealth has made DH and me somewhat soft, and that's not a good thing IMHO. So who's to say which of us led/is living a better life.

I agree with this sentiment. I will be the first to admit that $$$ is pretty important, especially when it comes to how you want to "suffer" in life, but it certainly isn't the end all be all.

The update story discussing the $20K raised for her through GoFundME was a good lift me up for the day...humans can be decent and kind, even though it doesn't always seem that way. I do hope the her last couple of years were as good as they could have been for her.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom