Tough Day at Work

ImThinkin2019

Recycles dryer sheets
For all of you who are FIREd already, I thought I would allow you to reminisce. Today I have customers angry because we cannot ship fast enough, plants angry because I expect delivery too fast, and a plant manager angry because I quoted something without him.

My stomach is a little twisted feeling because of the stress.

I am just over 60 and financially OK. No problem. But I keep telling myself I like work. Yet on days like today I wonder if it's worth it.

I do get lots of gratification from my job. But I thought it might bring back memories for some of you.

For all of you who are FIREd already, I thought I would allow you to reminisce. Today I have customers angry because we cannot ship fast enough, plants angry because I expect delivery too fast, and a plant manager angry because I quoted something without him.

I am just over 60 and financially OK. No problem. But I keep telling myself I like work. Yet on days like today I wonder if it's worth it.

I do get lots of gratification from my job. But I thought it might bring back memories for some of you.

Nope, after 8 years those memories are long gone.

After 8 years, memories are way long gone. Go ahead and make new memories away from work.

After 5 years those memories are long gone. Loving life much more these days.

Well, unlike the others, I have been gone for 8 years, but I still remember every gut wrenching moment of things like that. That is what keeps me grateful every day that I no longer have to tolerate that.

It's only been two years FIRE'd for me. When I listen to my friend's stories of stresses at work, I (1) feel my own blood pressure and anxiety begin to build, and (2) am grateful for my simple little existence.

It's only been two years FIRE'd for me. When I listen to my friend's stories of stresses at work, I (1) feel my own blood pressure and anxiety begin to build...

As others have said, at some point that will no longer be the case. I had lunch last week with a buddy who still works for my old employer and when he told me about some of the problems he was having at work he might as well have been speaking in a foreign language. :D

As others have said, at some point that will no longer be the case. I had lunch last week with a buddy who still works for my old employer and when he told me about some of the problems he was having at work he might as well have been speaking in a foreign language. :D

OP - I'm almost 59 so near to your age and in a extremely stressful environment for 10 months of the year - 7 days per week for those 10 months... I get it. If you can - retire !

I can't wait for that experience Wahoo described !

End of 2019...can't come soon enuff pawdnaahhh...

At one point in my eager years of working I loved the challenge of making it happen under very busy stressful times. I loved it I thrived on it but there comes that time the challenge and fun had gone away. When things aren't fun and the motivation isn't there for me it was time to move on to a new path. You will have to decide when you want take that path. Good Luck!

If I had stayed in 5 more years, would have made another $1million I suppose but wouldn’t trade it for independence.

My DW and I were out eating the other day, 4:30 because we can and beat the crowd, and a bunch of ‘suits’ were at the table next to us. I commented how fake it all seems, how irrelevant, the games they play with each other.

Hang in there till value of time is > than more money, then blow that pop stand - after taking a huge number of customer orders and promising next day delivery for free :)

It's only been two years FIRE'd for me. When I listen to my friend's stories of stresses at work, I (1) feel my own blood pressure and anxiety begin to build, and (2) am grateful for my simple little existence.
I agree on both fronts. It's been about 3 years for me. I catch myself and stop myself from saying "Thank God I don't have to do that anymore!"

That brought back some painful memories, but I'm less than 1.5 years into ER. I'm now at the point where I'm only saying "I'm glad I don't have to go to work today!" every few days or so, instead of the instant I wake up every day.

Hang in there!

Thanks for the "trip down memory lane".... I'm so glad to be retired! :D

+3. I sleep better these days.

I was over work by the time I got home from my last day. And I only had a 5 minute commute.

I do sleep better but still have dreams. A classmate and colleague died on Wednesday at 60. She had worked the day before and died in the early morning hours. She was a gentle soul. Sad for her and thankful to be FIREd.

If it helps, I'm not yet in ER but can totally relate - just about every day is like that in my gig. SOMEONE is always angry about something - and takes it out on me. Sometimes, that happens pretty aggressively, like just 2 days ago for me where I had a co-worker literally yelling on the phone at me.

It's increasingly hard to put up with since I'm FI and plan to RE this year. My "put up with you" level is dropping precipitously to the point I might just get myself FIREd in a different way because I just don't put up with people's crap any longer. As an example, I told the yelling guy that his tone was "not acceptable whatsoever" and that I was not going to have the conversation with him if he couldn't dial it back. The abuse continued for another 5 minutes or so but he eventually got it. Still very stressful and very annoying.

Unfortunately, the stress levels are also off the map as a result and I haven't yet found a healthy way to deal with it all..

If it helps, I'm not yet in ER but can totally relate - just about every day is like that in my gig. SOMEONE is always angry about something - and takes it out on me. Sometimes, that happens pretty aggressively, like just 2 days ago for me where I had a co-worker literally yelling on the phone at me.

It's increasingly hard to put up with since I'm FI and plan to RE this year. My "put up with you" level is dropping precipitously to the point I might just get myself FIREd in a different way because I just don't put up with people's crap any longer. As an example, I told the yelling guy that his tone was "not acceptable whatsoever" and that I was not going to have the conversation with him if he couldn't dial it back. The abuse continued for another 5 minutes or so but he eventually got it. Still very stressful and very annoying.

Unfortunately, the stress levels are also off the map as a result and I haven't yet found a healthy way to deal with it all..

Amen Brother. In same shoes as you, minus the yelling. Expectations are higher than what's realistic. It's a struggle every morning to get into work. Read this yesterday and will try their suggestions:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/how-to-outlast-a-job-you-hate-until-you-can-retire-2018-06-21

I am just over 60 and financially OK. No problem. But I keep telling myself I like work.

Keep telling yourself that. W*rk is just that and nothing more.

I thought it might bring back memories for some of you.

Just helped me appreciate the fact that I don't have to deal with the buffoonery of w*rk anymore. :D

Nope. After 5 months those memories are fading fast (but not fast enough! :))

The other day, I was talking to my son and something he said reminded me of a former cow@rker that I had dealt with almost every day for the last two years before ER -- and I could not even recall her name! :D

Nope. After 5 months those memories are fading fast (but not fast enough! :))

The other day, I was talking to my son and something he said reminded me of a former cow@rker that I had dealt with almost every day for the last two years before ER -- and I could not even recall her name! :D
Way to go. Love this retirement life.

Thank you so much for this. It's great to have someone going through similar things.

Today is a better day. More and more it's an emotional roller coaster.

As you are, I'm tolerating poor treatment less and less now. No reason for people not to be civil with each other!!!!

Anyway, all the people reporting what it's like on the other side give me hope. Thanks to all of you.

Back
Top Bottom