Toy Haulers vs. other RV's

Fireup2020

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
All this talk about RV's has us investigating RV options. We are planning on funding this while still working between now and 2020. The big ticket list includes two motorcycles, residence upgrades, and a RV. The house and upgrades will be completely paid off in 6-8 years. (nlt 2019) The goal is to bring along the motorcycles, kayaks, and mountain bikes with us on our cross country festival tours. So far, the most appropriate options seem to be Toy Haulers. Do any board members have experience with these? Advice is welcome, we are in the research stage only.

The planl is to be mortage-free with a well-equipped house (no pending repairs/upgrades/big maintenance, etc. for first 10 years ) with all big dollar toys owned free and clear by the magic retirement date :dance: Looks like we can find a nice (used) toy hauler for under $50K, and two motorcycles (used, HD) for under $75,000 (total for two), and a diesel truck to tow it all for under $40K. (This will replace SO's "truck/SUV")

Your thoughts?

When I was in my late 20s I could push a 250 lb dirt bike up a ramp onto a trailer if I built up a little momentum before hitting the ramp. Can't imagine pushing a HD up a ramp at my age even with two other people. What's one of those weigh, somewhere between 550 and 750 lbs?

If I found a hauler with enough room for 2 big bikes I'd ask the manufacturer (not a salesperson) what the weight distribution of the trailer was with #### lbs of bikes back there.

When I was in my late 20s I could push a 250 lb dirt bike up a ramp onto a trailer if I built up a little momentum before hitting the ramp. Can't imagine pushing a HD up a ramp at my age even with two other people.
All the folks I've seen using toy haulers drive their bikes on board...

Fireup, I've done lot's of RVing but never owned a Toy Hauler. I am familiar with a couple of pretty good RV discussion boards where you can probably learn a lot from others who own them:

ToyHaulers Discussion - iRV2 Forums
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Toy Haulers

All the folks I've seen using toy haulers drive their bikes on board...
"Sheee-it, Ah kin beat that. Hee-yer, Bubba, gimme that there bike, hol' ma beer, an' watch this'n!"

Back
Top Bottom