Tracking excessive merchandise returns

Ready

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Interesting WSJ article about a new company that tracks what customers are returning to merchants and instructs the merchants to ban the customers from being able to return future purchases when they detect abuse. I think this is going to backfire with the brick and mortar merchants, who are already struggling to compete with a very return friendly Amazon. It would certainly turn me off from buying things from these merchants.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-yo...st-you-at-best-buy-other-retailers-1520933400

I think the last thing that I returned was a pair of Birkenstocks that I got online from Zappo's back in 2001. (EDIT: Oh, I remember also a video game that I returned to Amazon maybe five years ago because my DD gave me the exact same game the next day, for Mother's Day.)

I'm usually quite happy with whatever I buy. Seems reasonable to me for stores to avoid doing business with customers that abuse the return privilege. I think it probably costs them money to take things back and reshelve it although I have never worked in retail so I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Amazon tracks and will ban users if they return too much.
The limits are fairly low, we found about about this when DW needed to return something that was defective.
We were not affected by the rules, but our questioning about returning items made the rep tell us, as we thought this was a danger Amazon faced.

I could easily see someone ordering 3 pairs of shoes: sized 9, 9.5, 10 or different colors of shirt, with the intent of returning the ones not liked.

I could easily see someone ordering 3 pairs of shoes: sized 9, 9.5, 10 or different colors of shirt, with the intent of returning the ones not liked.

I think it all depends on whether the online returns are paid for or not. DW used to buy numerous pairs of shoes at Zappos when return shipping was free (I don't know if it still is or not). It's really hard to buy shoes without trying them on, especially if you have an unusual fit. So she would buy different sizes and widths, then keep the one that fit.

But with Amazon and most other places, unless the item is defective the buyer has to pay the return shipping. So that would limit the value of doing the type of purchasing above. And a lot of places charge a restocking fee for electronics, even if the item is still in the original sealed package. I wish they would just call it a changing your mind penalty, since that's what it is.

I hate trying on clothes in a store, so on the rare occasion that I'm buying pants I'll buy a couple pairs, take them home, then return the ones that I don't want. I think if B&M limit the ability to do that I'd probably not shop there.

But with Amazon and most other places, unless the item is defective the buyer has to pay the return shipping.

That certainly wasn't the case for non-defective things I returned at Amazon and most other places.

Amazon tracks and will ban users if they return too much.
The limits are fairly low, we found about about this when DW needed to return something that was defective.
We were not affected by the rules, but our questioning about returning items made the rep tell us, as we thought this was a danger Amazon faced.

Amazon also has pretty strict return windows.

I found the article interesting, although I thought the mention of L.L. Bean changing their very generous policy in the same sentence as Amazon was unfair to L.L. Bean. Bad writing.

Also, Amazon is not saintly here. I once ordered a smoke detector. The detector came as an obviously restocked return. The battery was installed and was chirping when it arrived. The mounting screws were missing.
Amazon doesn't always handle restocking of returns very well. I've read some reviews on their site where people complain of this. (Kudus to Amazon for not censoring the review at least.)

As a general rule, Amazon-shipped items have free return shipping. Items purchased from third party vendors purchased through Amazon but not shipped from an Amazon location usually require you to pay for any return shipping charges.

I go to Menards whenever I need to repair house stuff, and I used to have to go about 3 times when doing plumbing repairs.

Finally I got "smart" and I buy all I need, plus more stuff I might need, do the repair and return the unused stuff, I don't return stuff I opened.

I guess this does cost the store a restocking effort.

One of the local music stores around here used to have a problem with people buying an item, using it at a gig, and then returning it a few days later. They stopped that by implementing a re-stocking fee that was equivalent to what it would have cost to rent the item.

I saw that article a few days ago. It seems that this will only affect people who are abusive about returns, frequently buying stuff, using it, and then returning it. I generally only return items that are broken or non-functional out of the box, this happens at most once a year or so, therefore I think for most people this is a non-event.

There was an episode on Drugs Inc that followed
Junkies going to a store (several stores a day... $300 habit), pick up some merchandise, and go straight to the return desk with it.
It wasn't stealing because they never took the merchandise out of the store.
If the store would only issue credit, the junkies had a list of people who would buy the store credit for 25-50cents on the dollar.
The did this day after day after day.

I quit taking paypal payments for stuff I sell. Too many "buyers" (scammers) claiming "it never arrived", "it was damaged", "I changed my mind" and the seller HAS to refund.

There was an episode on Drugs Inc that followed
Junkies going to a store (several stores a day... $300 habit), pick up some merchandise, and go straight to the return desk with it.
It wasn't stealing because they never took the merchandise out of the store.
If the store would only issue credit, the junkies had a list of people who would buy the store credit for 25-50cents on the dollar.
The did this day after day after day.

I quit taking paypal payments for stuff I sell. Too many "buyers" (scammers) claiming "it never arrived", "it was damaged", "I changed my mind" and the seller HAS to refund.

I saw that episode. The participants (being nice here) knew each store's return policies -- for example no more than three returns without a receipt from the same person in a given time period. This is one way they financed their daily drug habits.

I have a friend that totally abused the ability to return stuff from either HSN or QVC (can't remember which). She would buy a blouse in every color it came in and then decide which she was going to keep. She was banned from shopping. It was the right thing to do. Those costs get built into the product cost that the rest of us buy.

As a general rule, Amazon-shipped items have free return shipping. Items purchased from third party vendors purchased through Amazon but not shipped from an Amazon location usually require you to pay for any return shipping charges.

That really depends. They often do offer free returns on clothing and shoes as otherwise how to do they compete with stores where you can try something on before buying it?

But other items you may well have to pay for return shipping. We have for several things that it turned out we didn't need or whatever.

They state clearly per product when that product has free returns, so that leads me to believe it's not available for every product.

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for Amazon Prime Wardrobe to start in my area. They let you place an order for up to ten items and they don't charge your credit card. You have a week to try the items on and you just return whatever you don't want in the same box, no shipping cost either way.

While this may cost Amazon a bit, it will help their customers get more comfortable with purchasing clothing online. I still think clothing is one of the last items that brick and mortar stores have a fighting chance of keeping, since people like to try things on before buying them.

It's been in beta for about a year now, which makes me wonder if it's not going that well.

I'm not sure about the general rule, as we've had to pay return shipping on items (I'm pretty sure) were bought directly from Amazon. On the other hand, DW bought a steam floor cleaner (about $90) through a third party vendor. When it didn't work right, they told us not to bother to send it back. My only guess is they must have had a bunch of them that were defective and didn't want to deal with paying to return junk.

I'm not sure about the general rule, as we've had to pay return shipping on items (I'm pretty sure) were bought directly from Amazon. On the other hand, DW bought a steam floor cleaner (about $90) through a third party vendor. When it didn't work right, they told us not to bother to send it back. My only guess is they must have had a bunch of them that were defective and didn't want to deal with paying to return junk.

I believe it all comes down to the reason you state for your return. If you say "changed your mind" they will charge you for return shipping. If you say item not as advertised, defective, etc. they will pay for return shipping. Honesty comes into play here.

I'm still waiting for Amazon Prime Wardrobe to start in my area. They let you place an order for up to ten items and they don't charge your credit card. You have a week to try the items on and you just return whatever you don't want in the same box, no shipping cost either way.

While this may cost Amazon a bit, it will help their customers get more comfortable with purchasing clothing online. I still think clothing is one of the last items that brick and mortar stores have a fighting chance of keeping, since people like to try things on before buying them.

It's been in beta for about a year now, which makes me wonder if it's not going that well.

Boy are they going to be surprised if they sell Wedding Dresses, Evening Gowns, Party Dresses, etc.......

Just the type of thing a person needs to "try on" for 1 event :facepalm:

DW likes to try it on.

I buy some clothing on line. Brands that I am familiar with and that maintain a constant sizing chart. Cannot remember buying a shirt in a retail store. I don't even bother going in any more. Better selection and price on the web. And in some instance much better service!

Costco has a great return policy. We've never encountered a problem with them on returns of any kind.

The Home Depot plumbing guys are trained to suggest a return. If you ask them “Which one do I need” for parts and fittings. Their response many times is “Buy one of each and return the ones you don’t use...and don’t forget to buy a couple extra too just in case.”

Costco has a great return policy. We've never encountered a problem with them on returns of any kind.

The vast majority of the stuff I return at Costco is absolutely brand new and in perfect shape for resale.

IIRC, the last time I returned an item that could not be re-sold it was a toy I bought for a child, and while putting it together we found that certain holes needed to complete the assembly where not present. I think that was in 2016.

Back
Top Bottom