Train Tours

My daughter and I had a roomette when traveling between Berlin and Vienna. I couldn't sleep very well the first night since I was too dumb to figure out how to close the window blind on my lower bunk. So every time we stopped the lights from the stations would shine in on me. The return trip went much better since my so-smart daughter showed me how to close the blind.:D
Except for the bathroom situation, did you find the roomette comfortable?

For those of you who travel Amtrak a lot - there seems to be a considerable price difference in the "Bedroom" from day to day and week to week. Is there some trick to getting the bedroom at the lowest price? For instance, from Houston to LA the bedroom prices range from $630 to $1,082.

Since I'm not sure when the grandchild is making his/her entrance into this world, it's a bit difficult to make travel arrangements far in advance. I'll have an idea when to be there probably sometime in January for a late March trip.

What's the trick to getting the lowest price on the day I want to travel?

Years ago we went from Jaspar to Vancouver on VIA rail. The scenery was fantastic. I don't think we had an actual roomette, but the seats folded into a single bed for me and top bunk folded down for the kid. We sat next to a pleasant old couple from England, who we found were on the same Alaskan cruise we were going to, and were actually in the next cabin! If I was to take that trip again, I'd consider the Rocky Mountaineer, which travels during daylight only and overnights in hotels in Kamloops, to maximize seeing the sights.

We also did a 3 week Eurail trip 3 years ago, and I used Amtrak the last times I went to Boston and New York, and it was pretty relaxing and comfortable, though the train got pretty crowded between Washington and Connecticut last year.

I looked at taking the train back to Nebraska from Virginia for Thanksgiving, thinking that would be a pleasant way to travel. No airport hassles, no interstate traffic, get my own roomette and close off the world if I want. To get a roomette for the overnight 20 hour trek between Virginia and Chicago each way, and just a coach seat to/from Nebraska, is $968! The roomette is $332 each way. I'd be traveling alone so that roomette cost could be split if my kid were going, but that's still pretty pricey. And it gets in at midnight, and the return leaves at 3:45am, with 30 hours of train travel and a few hours layover in Chicago each way.

If you bring binoculars on a train trip to better enjoy the scenery, what power binoculars would be best?

I never thought of that idea, but it is a good one. I don't know what power, but I love to look at the small towns the train passes by. Many of this towns you would never see in a lifetime, unless had a reason to go there. Old mining towns are particularly interesting.

I found that forum yesterday while doing some research. Already found someone from my town on that forum that I'm asking questions of about parking, etc.

East Texas, yes I thought the roomettes were comfortable enough. You had more privacy than you would in coach and little cubby holes for holding some of your carry-ons. The one thing that was kind of different if I remember right was the rocking of the train. The ships that I've been on the rocking is horizontal when you are in bed but on the train, I believe I was rocking more vertically if that's possible. Anyway, I think that's what I remember. Probably is due to the direction of the train...hard telling.

We boarded about 10 p.m. from the starting point of that train so as soon as everyone boarded the passengers began making their beds. My daughter and I had to figure out how the beds worked but good ol' daughter figured it all out in no time. There were curtains to pull shut so you had some privacy.

It was fun watching everyone getting ready for bed. Some people were walking around in their pajamas and little kids running around in their pjs too. It was kinda like a big slumber party where no one knows each other. My daughter and I slept in our clothes though.:D

The ships that I've been on the rocking is horizontal when you are in bed but on the train, I believe I was rocking more vertically if that's possible. Anyway, I think that's what I remember. Probably is due to the direction of the train...hard telling.
The rocking side to side and lunging forward and back (at the same time) made for some of the more humorous memories on my trip. :) Just walking to the diner and back can test your balance to a high degree. Everyone has some good chuckles, either at themselves or from watching others bounce from wall to wall in the aisles.
The sleeper room passengers on my trip kept their sliding doors open and curtains pulled for the most part during the day. This was on the upper deck.
On one of my trips to the diner, the train made a hard rock to one side. As I reached for something solid to steady myself, I ended up stumbling right through the curtains into someone's roomette. Without missing a beat I said 'hi, I'm your neighbor from down the hall, just thought I stop in and introduce myself'. :D We all had a good laugh, then I continued with my weaving course to the diner.

So you're saying it's similar to being on a small ship going through the North Sea? :LOL:

On one of my trips to the diner, the train made a hard rock to one side. As I reached for something solid to steady myself, I ended up stumbling right through the curtains into someone's roomette. Without missing a beat I said 'hi, I'm your neighbor from down the hall, just thought I stop in and introduce myself'. :D We all had a good laugh, then I continued with my weaving course to the diner.
Did you tip yer hat? :greetings10:

I'm assuming one tips the porters in the sleeping car. Is there a rule of thumb as to how much?

I'm assuming one tips the porters in the sleeping car. Is there a rule of thumb as to how much?
I don't know that there is a rule of thumb. Most folks I saw were tipping at the end of a leg or at final destination. From what I could tell, the crews worked a particular round trip route. You would see the same crew on your return trip so you got to know them. They take care of you pretty well. I noticed most people were tipping $20 at the end of the run so that's what I did.
In the diner I was tipping by the meal like the others. You're dining three times a day over several days so you get to know the waiters also. Being my first Amtrak trip, I was doing as the others did. Most were leaving $2 to $5 tips per meal.
I had read on the Amtrak forum that it was good to carry a pocket full of small bills for tipping.

Back
Top Bottom