Travelling as an air courier

MJ

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I recently spoke to a friend about going to Thailand and he suggested to lower the air flight cost that I look into travelling as an air courier. Apparently when a freight carrier needs to get a shipping document delivered internationally right away, they need to get a courier to delivery the document. They or their agent book the roundtrip flight and charge you part of the flight cost. It can even be free if the scheduled courier cancels their trip and you are available. I don't know if the freight carrier can cancel the delivery as well. That would be a bummer.

It sounds a bit complicated and less reliable than buying your own ticket so I don't know yet if it is worth the lower cost. I guess if you're single, retired and can leave at a moment's notice, it might work.

Any one know anything about this?

MJ

Hi MJ,

No I don't know anything about this but that usually doesn't stop me. With my luck the document would be a subponea or some other terrible news that the receipient would do anything not to receive including kill the messenger.

I'd just buy the ticket so that if something went wrong you would have some recourse.

MJ,

I looked into it a few years ago and concluded that it just wasn't worth it.  Alot of folks recounted hassles in finding the delivery point in squalid industrial areas near the destination airport.  The courier heyday was in the 60's and 70's when international tickets cost (in today's money) thousands of dollars.  Back then they covered the entire fare, also.   

Today fares are so cheap I'd rather just spend a couple of hundred more and not worry about the hassle.  I'm pretty good at ferreting out cheapo fares.  Two years ago I found a round-trip Boston-Beijing for $299.   I have a round-trip to San Juan PR sitting on my desk that I purchased for $49.  You just have to keep your eyes open. 

tozz

Just make sure it doesn't involve hiding anything up your butt.

TromboneAl said:

Or, if you are so inclined, you could just visit your local parish.

JG

TromboneAl said:

Once again, someone picks up a line I considered and decided was going too far.

Good work Al.

Back
Top Bottom