Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Trip ideas?
Old 09-26-2005, 08:18 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That brings to mind an experience I had on the Italian Riviera 35 years ago with a stomach virus, a wc stall sans toilet and no paper. It's a very funny story but I'll spare you the gross detail. You're welcome.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2005, 11:55 PM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

If you have to bring a toilet seat on vacation, then
you can state... My trip was crappy..

CZAR 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 04:33 AM   #23

Hi brewer,

I'll put in a plug for the coastal carolinas. Jan/Feb is a fine time for northerners to go to the beach. Its about* 55 degrees by noon and you may catch a 65+ degree day or two during the week. Luxury off season rentals* are cheap.

The best part is that there is nothing to do... wonderful, blissful nothing. I like that. Turn off the cell phone and listen to the sea. We do have toilet seats but flushing can be a challenge.*

Look into the Outer Banks, Wrightsville Beach, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach, Southport, and into SC. While you're here, you could be checking out your retirement home.*

Old 09-27-2005, 07:25 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Friend of mine from back in the '60s founded the "Birch John" society... :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:32 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

John Galt,
Better to be prepared (with the toilet seat) than to have to hold it for 2 hours
until we checked in to our villa ! ! !
Ray
renferme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:53 AM   #26

This may sound like a weird idea, but here goes.

I'm guessing that by January, New Orleans and the gulf coast will be ready and desparate for tourists. They might have great deals, and you'd be doing them a favor by spending your tourist bucks there.

Even a few days after the 1987 earthquake, San Francisco was absolutely fine for tourists, but the news media made it seem like the place was a smoking ruin. Perfect time to visit.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:02 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Not weird at all, we went to NY post 9/11 and they were very happy to see us (and our dollars). Great vacation.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:09 AM   #28

I heard tsunami-affected areas of Thailand were great bargains (and eager for tourist dollars!) after the Christmas Tsunami last year.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:18 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Not weird at all, we went to NY post 9/11 and they were very happy to see us (and our dollars).* Great vacation.
We went to NYC for a few days after 9/11 as well. *Overall a good trip, but I remember getting steamed every time I saw a shirt, keychain, or other souvenier with the twin towers on them. *Going to ground zero and seeing nothing but land really got me infuriated. *To this day, every time I see the towers in an old movie shot in NYC, I shake my head about sad it is that they got destroyed by a few sub-humans.

At least with NOLA, it was a natural event. *Tragic in a different way.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:35 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
This may sound like a weird idea, but here goes.
Disneyland three weeks after 9/11. You could have shot a cannon down most of the streets and not hit anyone. As soon as you jumped off the ride you'd run to the entrance and get back on-- sometimes the same exact set of cars you just exited.

My BIL had already arranged his New Orleans airline & hotel for January. It'll be interesting to see if the vacation still pans out...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 03:52 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

We just returned from a trip to Italy. It's the third time that I've visited and I love the place. The people are the happiest I've seen anyplace. We went to Rome, Almafi, Pompei, and Tuscany. The food and wine in there is incredible and relatively inexpensive. The weather was perfect. It may be rainy if you go in winter. I flew to Frankfurt from HI on United/Singapore using 50K miles with a stopover in NY. It was a bargain in terms of miles/ticket price. RT tx Frankfurt to Rome were .79E on Ryan Air. That's right -- 79 cents! With tax it turned out to be around 30E pp. Incredible.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 04:07 PM   #32

I'm off to Paris next month; we're meeting the daughter, who claims Paris is "the best city in the world." Any suggestions? Lodging, must-sees, restaurants, etc.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 05:24 PM   #33

Try to learn a little French, they will like you better.

Your daughter is right Paris is a great city.

Take one of the city tours and have a great time.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:13 PM   #34

Growing up in New Orleans, I learned a little French. Mebbe enough to get in trouble. What worries me about the trip is I believe the weather may be a tad cold and rainy in late October. Also, I have heard, politics aside, that the Parisans are rude. I hope this is incorrect, as I am practicing "Mangez Moi." Just in case, don't ya know.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 08:46 PM   #35

Brewer,
I think Italy in Jan/Feb will be colder than a northeasterner would want to travel for at that time of year.

You might try Tampa area -- there are some reasonably inexpensive hotels in St Pete, or you might try a motel on the beach out near Sarasota.

Since you already know about Puerto Rico, you probably know my favorite budget escape-to-sun which is to fly into Aguadilla (the old Ramey Air Force Base) and you are 20 minutes to Rincon and other places with good budget accommodation and good surfing if you are into that. We rode horses and hung out at the beach and snorkelled. Best of all, direct flights from Newark or JFK were $300 at peak season last year on Jet Blue or Continental.

The other place we liked as a family was Tortola, a notch more upscale from western Puerto Rico. (downsides: flights a bit more, fewer low-cost hotel options,and required a plane change at San Juan which can be a pain with a kid). Both PR and Tortola are warmer than Florida. We stayed at the Long Bay Beach Resort which wasn't too expensive 5 years ago anyway and was very family friendly.

Old 10-04-2005, 10:00 AM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
Growing up in New Orleans, I learned a little French. Mebbe enough to get in trouble. What worries me about the trip is I believe the weather may be a tad cold and rainy in late October. Also, I have heard, politics aside, that the Parisans are rude. I hope this is incorrect, as I am practicing "Mangez Moi." Just in case, don't ya know.
Paris is awesome. Weather can go either way. Still in the 60's right now. People overplay the rude thing but then again I'm always in the company of locals. Traffic around rush hour can be mind boggling. Also keep an eye on any potential union strikes which can disrupt travel. There are endless things to do if your not in a rush and the touristy things are still fun. If you have time and want a change of scenery, hop the train down to Grenoble (~3 1/2 hrs) and get a taste of the Alps. [We have a sales rep is based in Paris and a customer outside of Grenoble].
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 06:00 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave
Paris is awesome.*
Also keep an eye on any potential union strikes which can disrupt travel.*
Comme Ca..........

A one-day national strike has caused massive disruption to transport, schools and industry across France.* * http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4305456.stm
Honkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 09:14 AM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Disneyland three weeks after 9/11.* You could have shot a cannon down most of the streets and not hit anyone.* As soon as you jumped off the ride you'd run to the entrance and get back on-- sometimes the same exact set of cars you just exited.
Went to Astroworld this weekend.... it is about to close... and since it was raining there were not a lot of people... some of the rides would let you hang around on the exit side and if the ride did not fill up you could just jump back in... they did not make you run around.... We are smarter here in Texas
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 10:38 AM   #39
Dryer sheet aficionado

Re: Paris - Make sure to stop and have some Nutella and banana crepes. They sell them all over in little stands on the street. There was also a fantastic antique area - due north from downtown and I think it was the last subway stop, or nearly so.

Re: Puerto Rico/Ramey - I went to High School there! We went again (trip down memory lane) a few months ago and they are turning the base (so they claim) into a resort with a military theme. Strange.

Re: Trip ideas - Costa Rico is supposed to be wonderful and not too expensive. Or the FL Keys?

RMJ

Repairmanjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 03:04 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repairmanjack

Re: Puerto Rico/Ramey - I went to High School there! We went again (trip down memory lane) a few months ago and they are turning the base (so they claim) into a resort with a military theme. Strange.
This is hilarious -- seems to me they might just want to dust off that old slogan -- Join the Army, See the World! If they've got anybody whose idea of a vacation destinatino is a military base, then we've got plenty of paid vacations available.