Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-27-2017, 01:20 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

We bought our second home in 2013, a short walk from the ocean in California. Our primary home was about 30 miles away. We planned to use it as a vacation rental when not using it ourselves. Shortly thereafter we decided we loved living at the coast. So we sold the primary home in 2015 and used to proceeds to fix up and expand the second home. We moved in to the finished home almost nine months ago and we are very happy with our decision.

For us, having two houses was inconvenient (we have cats) and expensive even though we could afford it. Still, I would consider a second home again in the future if it was someplace I really wanted to spend a lot of time. For now the only the only home that fits that description is the one I am living in.
Persn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2017, 04:12 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

More than a 3 hour drive could make taking a plane sound attractive. For me, at least, a full day of driving always sounds like a whole lot more fun than it lives.

Less than a 3 hour drive, and perhaps the locations wouldn't be different enough to make it worth having two homes.
For example, Baton Rouge is an hour away. If I wanted to hang out in Baton Rouge, I could do that from here and stay in the same home. (Same for Lafayette, which is 2 hours away.)

Well, if I wanted to hang out in Baton Rouge then I'd also know that I lost my mind. I used to live there so that's how I know.
While w*rking, DW & I drove and flew somewhere every vacation. We never did a stay-cation because we resented dedicating our precious vacation days to ordinary hanging out. Now, airports and planes seem like such a hassle to me, and DW can't take sitting in a car all day. Where we live, it takes all day to get somewhere both "different" and interesting. In fact, we haven't gone on our annual short snowbird trip since retiring.

As for two or more homes, I'm too cheap and we have tons of hobby and sports stuff. We'd never have what we need when we have the itch to do something.

Actually, I'm surprised how much we've just settled in at home. We're quite active in the summer, although we stay locally. In the winter, we're just nesting...
Old 01-27-2017, 07:47 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

We purchased a condo in a good ski location. Had it for (6) years and sold. Got double what we paid. Would have kept the condo but DS moved in when he divorced and took a job near by. Big mistake. We found when we went to the condo we didn't enjoy it anymore because he was living there. Told him had to get out and we sold it.

Now we sold our primary home to our daughter and we are renting an 800 square house from her. House was totally done 3 years ago. We kind of think we might keep renting this house from her and find a secondary place on the east coast. Looking but just haven't found the right thing.

We are still in our 50's and I love all the history on the East coast. We do have and rv so if we find a secondary location, think we will sell the rv.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 12:56 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

We have had two very small homes since 2003. Although we would prefer one home we haven't found an area weather wise that we could live year round.
check6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:49 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We went the other way. From a 3600 sq ft home to a 1400 sq foot rental condo.

It was a lifestyle decision that turned out to be financially advantageous. Sold high and the investment returns have been good. If at some point we cut back on travel we may buy again. We certainly enjoy renting after 35 plus years of owning and renovating homes in several cities.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:55 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by check6 View Post
We have had two very small homes since 2003. Although we would prefer one home we haven't found an area weather wise that we could live year round.
That was a challenge for us as well. When we hit 9 months in Florida we felt we could tough out the summers with a little travel and a swimming pool
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:59 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post

It was a lifestyle decision that turned out to be financially advantageous. Sold high and the investment returns have been good. If at some point we cut back on travel we may buy again. We certainly enjoy renting after 35 plus years of owning and renovating homes in several cities.
Great move there! I pushed renting at one point, but my wife loves to make home improvements, and it keeps her happy. Maybe as we get older she will tire of the situation. We have renovated/gutted five homes in 9 years, so I have no reason to believe we are done
Old 01-28-2017, 05:01 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimcdougc View Post
We purchased a condo in a good ski location. Had it for (6) years and sold. Got double what we paid. Would have kept the condo but DS moved in when he divorced and took a job near by. Big mistake. We found when we went to the condo we didn't enjoy it anymore because he was living there. Told him had to get out and we sold it.

Now we sold our primary home to our daughter and we are renting an 800 square house from her. House was totally done 3 years ago. We kind of think we might keep renting this house from her and find a secondary place on the east coast. Looking but just haven't found the right thing.

We are still in our 50's and I love all the history on the East coast. We do have and rv so if we find a secondary location, think we will sell the rv.
It wouldn't surprise me if we end up being influenced by our daughter's move if she moves to a nice place further south Kids often influence decisions, and if there are grandkids even more so.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:01 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We have 2, one in Mexico and one in Vancouver. We spend a month in Europe and split the rest of the year evenly between the other two. It has been like this for 10 years.

When the 2nd of our 2 cats crossed the Rainbow Bridge after 18 years last June, we have been presented with more flexibility. Still no action but the main consideration is to eliminate the Vancouver place and spend a couple of months renting there, a couple of months renting in the east, and a swing month not sure where. Partly due the family passing on. Both Bro and BIL, Dad and MIL.

But the nesting instinct remains strong. (What no workshop? What about our friends?)
Old 01-28-2017, 09:47 AM   #30

DW and I bought a second home the week after I retired. DW is still working, thus we still need the first home. We have no specific plans for what happens after she retires; our position is that we will just let things happen naturally. The dynamics will change when neither of us is working, and who knows how that might play out.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:54 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Roger View Post
DW and I bought a second home the week after I retired. DW is still working, thus we still need the first home. We have no specific plans for what happens after she retires; our position is that we will just let things happen naturally. The dynamics will change when neither of us is working, and who knows how that might play out.
I think it's great that your plan is no specific plan, but sounds like you are flexible enough and prepared for whatever life brings you.
Two-House Pendulum Swinging Back to One
Old 01-28-2017, 12:15 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Two-House Pendulum Swinging Back to One

Our primary home is in PA and 11 years ago we bought a Florida home near Tampa. We sold the Tampa home last year and bought a beachfront condo in southwest Florida that we love. We're starting a total remodel, so it'll be much more up to date, opened up and everything new by late spring. Just picked out two slabs of quartzite to go on our custom cabinets, new high quality laminate flooring, adding full size washer/dryer...but not changing the view...IMG_0297.JPG
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 12:37 PM   #33

Nice!
Old 01-28-2017, 01:50 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Fire View Post
Nice!
+1
Old 01-28-2017, 02:20 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

During most of my childhood, my parents had two homes - one in the city for a base during the work week, one in the country for weekends and holidays. It worked really well for them - though the homes were located only about 15 miles apart (yet they had completely a different setting and vibe).

I always thought that I would have two homes too. And I do. Except that my two homes are on 2 different continents and the logistics are a bit more complicated. In our case, we have decided that it would be simpler to have two full households set up permanently so that we could travel light between the two homes.

That being said, there are days where I would prefer to own no home at all. When I arrived in the US 20 years ago, I could carry all my possessions in the world in 2 small suitcases. I lived out of those suitcases for 2 years. It was real freedom. Yesterday I was looking around my apartment in the U.S., thinking about how much I have accumulated during the past 15 years (since getting hitched really). It's insane. My mom said all that stuff was a sign of success. I don't know. I made a list of all the stuff I really care about and... it would still fit in 2 small suitcases.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 02:43 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
. In our case, we have decided that it would be simpler to have two full households set up permanently so that we could travel light between the two homes.
This is what we do. Heading down to Arizona tomorrow from Toronto and hardly have anything to take other than our computers, iPads, and phones. Nice once it's all set up but does sometimes get a little complicated.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:06 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
Our primary home is in PA and 11 years ago we bought a Florida home near Tampa. We sold the Tampa home last year and bought a beachfront condo in southwest Florida that we love. We're starting a total remodel, so it'll be much more up to date, opened up and everything new by late spring. Just picked out two slabs of quartzite to go on our custom cabinets, new high quality laminate flooring, adding full size washer/dryer...but not changing the view...Attachment 25352
Moderators, please remove this post before my DW sees it!
check6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:25 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post

Similar for us. After owning/selling 6 homes in 6 locations, upon FIRE we decided to become renters. And, we might remain renters until we move to a CCRC.

Everyone's situation is unique but, for us, we chose location over all else. Because the location we chose is on the expensive side, we downsized (frankly, a healthy experience); small house but awesome location & view.

We did discuss the multi-location arrangement several times over the years but, DW mostly vetoed that. WISE WOMAN that DW. She was right; we'd now both much rather spend the time/$ living in paradise and traveling on vacation versus maintaining two homes.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 01:35 AM   #39
Dryer sheet aficionado

We are down to 2 homes, our primary home north of the 49th and our snowbird home in California. Sold our northern lake property, the boats and all the summer cottage stuff as well. It was fantastic but too much to maintain. We love having 2 homes set up for when we arrive. Considering an ocean spot in Baja but need to consider what we can manage in our 'Golden Years'. Trying to fit in overseas travel in the meantime. Life is good
Old 01-29-2017, 05:42 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
Our primary home is in PA and 11 years ago we bought a Florida home near Tampa. We sold the Tampa home last year and bought a beachfront condo in southeast Florida that we love. We're starting a total remodel, so it'll be much more up to date, opened up and everything new by late spring. Just picked out two slabs of quartzite to go on our custom cabinets, new high quality laminate flooring, adding full size washer/dryer...but not changing the view...Attachment 25352

Edit: to read southeast Florida.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote