Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Two-House Pendulum Swinging Back to One
Old 01-27-2017, 03:26 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Two-House Pendulum Swinging Back to One

When we were in our 40’s our retirement plan included relocating, but not with two houses. I observed MIL and FIL manage two homes, and sometimes three. They were always moving stuff around and travelling back and forth. Cars, golf clubs, and other items were often in the wrong place, and complicated their life and decisions.

One year prior to ER, we bought a townhome in Florida. Prices were good, and I wanted a clear understanding of the expenses prior to pulling the plug.

However, after ER, the Florida townhome never felt like “home”, so we kept our northern home. After a few years in Florida, we have now found a community, neighborhood, and single-family home on one floor that we are comfortable with all year. Half a mile from the Gulf of Mexico tempers the summer heat and humidity, although it is still hot and humid every day.

Just wondering if anyone has tired of the two-house scenario and transitioned back to one home?
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2017, 04:34 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes. (Costs of two homes are the driving force). But, prices in most of FL (Gulf side in particular) are nearly back to pre-crash highs. The contrarian me finds that unsettling.....
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 04:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
Yes. (Costs of two homes are the driving force). But, prices in most of FL (Gulf side in particular) are nearly back to pre-crash highs. The contrarian me finds that unsettling.....
True, the dynamics change. We were fortunate to buy at crash level in early 2012. We sold high this summer, but bought high as well.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:07 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We kept a house on the tidal Potomac River for 23 years and sold it, downsizing to our DC home last spring. The cost avoidance and infusion to our portfolio is reassuring but the primary appeal is simplification. A second home is a lot of hassle - yard-work, pool maintenance, repairs, etc. The rewards were great in the early years (windsurfing, water skiing, hanging with family and friends). In recent years we visited less and we and our friends made far less use of the amenities - yet the hassles continued and felt magnified. Selling it felt like tossing off a burden to DW and me. I gave all my water sports gear (including a low mileage jet ski) to my BiL and SiL who now maintain them at their Eastern Shore home where we can visit. Win, win.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:10 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I did for 7 years, though it was more for a family situation than anything else. I was happy to get down to 1. I only spent about 3 months at a time at a place so I felt like I never really settled in either place, always on the verge of coming or going.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 06:24 AM   #6

We had a 2nd home when our kids were small. Nice modern 4 bd/4 bth farmhouse with barn and out buildings from 1860's. 180 acres total with a 10 acre lake and river frontage. We really enjoyed it until the kids became teenagers but when their activities didn't allow time to enjoy it (other than me spending hard weekends maintaining the place) we sold it for a tidy profit.
Actually I wanted to retire there but my DW didn't want to be so far from family.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:25 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

We did the opposite.

We went from 2 homes to one in 2011 and that allowed me to retire... lower expenses and more money in the bank.

Fast forward a few years... we were regularly going south for the winter. Rented for 1 month the first year, 3 months the second year. Planned to rent for 3 months each year but we were having trouble finding a 3-month winter rental in the neighborhood where many of our friends own or rent, but a FSBO opportunity sort of fell into our lap so we bought.

Thanks to Mr. Market over the last 5 years we were able to pay cash for the winter condo and still have 15% more than when we retired... which easily funds the annual carrying costs for the winter condo (which are quite a bit less than 3 months rent during the season).

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 06:28 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I'm almost 3 years in on a 2 location scenario. Not tired of it yet, but I'm sure I will as I age. I think I will keep both through my 60's, but if someone comes along with a good price I would think about it.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I'm almost 3 years in on a 2 location scenario. Not tired of it yet, but I'm sure I will as I age. I think I will keep both through my 60's, but if someone comes along with a good price I would think about it.
That's basically what happened to us. We were planning on selling next spring. We texted someone we knew was interested, and 10 minutes later they said they wanted it
Old 01-27-2017, 08:00 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Only been retired for a month but we enjoy the multiple house scenario. We have three homes and have always found the change of location invigorating. Each time we switch homes it is like going on vacation. Since ours are all free-standing homes, there certainly is more work and expense. Condos would have made things easier but that is not our preference.
phil1ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:03 AM   #11

Quote:
We have 4 homes. 66 retired 10 years. Not ready to downsize at this point but I can see that at some point will need and want to. Expense is not the driving consideration but rather the time required to keep them all going. Use property management at 3 of them and this helps. Feel at home at them all and enjoy them a lot, agree with Phil that it's invigorating to move around. They are all very different. But eventually....... Would probably use any sales proceeds to upgrade the remaining properties.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:25 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Fire View Post
Just wondering if anyone has tired of the two-house scenario and transitioned back to one home?
I have never had two homes for a significant length of time.

Still, I just had to say that the last thing that I'd want to be doing this morning is standing in a long TSA line at some crummy airport in order to spend the afternoon on a crowded, miserable airplane full of dirty, sick people and screaming babies, going to another home somewhere. We are all different, but for me this could never be invigorating at all!!! Try deathly boring and head-bangingly tedious. Honestly I think I'd rather have teeth pulled.

Each to his own! But gosh, I sure don't agree about that opinion that it would be invigorating. At least not for me.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:39 AM   #13

We can easily travel between our two homes. We like to say they are 60 miles but a world apart. It only takes an hour and twenty minutes to get from one to the other, and my commute used to be an hour at the end of my career, so it's no big deal.

We have what we need at each place so it's easy to just pack the perishable food and head to the other house. At some point we may want to sell one place but not in e foreseeable future.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:42 AM   #14

I had a slightly different situation. We married in November of 2007, and bought our home in Ventura. My DW had sold her house (finally), but I still had my condo in the San Fernando Valley. The condo was a lot closer to my office, so I lived there during the week and went home on Fridays, This got to be kind of old, so I retired in January 2009 right after I got my 7% profit sharing.
My DW was happy, as she had to drive me to the train station on early Monday mornings
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:54 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

We've had an Illinois house and Arizona condo since 2002. Eventually I see us swinging back to one house. Maybe when we're in our 70's or when we don't feel like snowbirding anymore. Or if I can convince DW on where I think would be a great place to live year round.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:11 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
We've had an Illinois house and Arizona condo since 2002. Eventually I see us swinging back to one house. Maybe when we're in our 70's or when we don't feel like snowbirding anymore. Or if I can convince DW on where I think would be a great place to live year round.
I can't remember what sunshine looks like, it has been so gray in Chicagoland. Perhaps we need a little Arizona....
Old 01-27-2017, 09:15 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I have never had two homes for a significant length of time.

Still, I just had to say that the last thing that I'd want to be doing this morning is standing in a long TSA line at some crummy airport in order to spend the afternoon on a crowded, miserable airplane full of dirty, sick people and screaming babies, going to another home somewhere. We are all different, but for me this could never be invigorating at all!!! Try deathly boring and head-bangingly tedious. Honestly I think I'd rather have teeth pulled.

Each to his own! But gosh, I sure don't agree about that opinion that it would be invigorating. At least not for me.
That's why I have what I have. A 3 hour drive to the coast. Plus I'm not big on traveling via plane period. Hate airports.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:28 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Just went from 2 to 1 and feel relaxed and happy about the decision. A couple of days after the cash cleared the bank 99% went into the portfolio but I did book a nice 2 bedroom suite at a resort in Mexico for the family in February. Will be nice to show up and not have to shop for groceries, do dishes, play handyman, etc. and actually have a vacation where the biggest decision will be to hit the beach or pool and what kind of cold beverage to order. That being said I will likely own another vacation home when I retire in 10 years and the kids are gone.
Sittinginthesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:34 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Luckily, they have this new invention called "an automobile". One of the nice things about being retired is not having to rush anywhere. With our three dogs flying would be pretty much impossible, although staying in a hotel with them isn't much better. But if I can get somewhere in a car, I won't fly unless it's an emergency.

We're down from 4 houses to three, after I sold the one I inherited from my Mom. And the third one, where my daughter has been living, will be empty soon. We'll probably keep it for a couple years while we fix it up, and also to use when we visit with her. But it's going to be gone within a few years, anyway. We'll keep the other two at least while the dogs are still alive. Maybe after that we'll go with a condo in FL instead of a house. Maybe a condo up north too. But I don't see us moving from being snowbirds, at least until I get too old to drive.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:49 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That's why I have what I have. A 3 hour drive to the coast. Plus I'm not big on traveling via plane period. Hate airports.
That sounds perfect.

More than a 3 hour drive could make taking a plane sound attractive. For me, at least, a full day of driving always sounds like a whole lot more fun than it lives.

Less than a 3 hour drive, and perhaps the locations wouldn't be different enough to make it worth having two homes. For example, Baton Rouge is an hour away. If I wanted to hang out in Baton Rouge, I could do that from here and stay in the same home. (Same for Lafayette, which is 2 hours away.)

Well, if I wanted to hang out in Baton Rouge then I'd also know that I lost my mind. I used to live there so that's how I know.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote