Join Early Retirement Today

Two Years After Retirement
Old 12-28-2020, 09:57 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

This December marks the 2nd anniversary of my retirement. I started to write a rather lengthy recap but soon realized it just wasn’t necessary. Simply stated, retirement has been fantastic. Years of extensive planning have paid off greatly. After two years of retirement, which have included routine annual expenses, extensive travel, significant home improvements, one really huge expenditure, and even a pandemic, we are still worth much more now than when I retired. There are a lot of things that are more important now than before retirement and conversely a lot of things that are less important.

In the “more important” category, the top things I would place there would be my faith, my family and my time. In my stress filled life before retirement, each of those was either slighted, taken for granted, or mismanaged in some way. My living now is much more intentional and balanced. DW said she could not believe the change in me and how quickly it came about. While I realize that I potentially have 25 more years on this earth it’s also abundantly clear that it could pass by in a flash, and that it will require intentionality on my part to spend whatever time there is left wisely.

One of the side effects of making the most of that time, and one of the first things in the “less important” category, has been time spent on social media, in fact media in general.

Facebook, gone.

Twitter, gone.

And in the interest of full disclosure, time spent here, mostly gone. I still check in periodically, mainly to see the posts from Car Guy on the Thursday joke thread. There is also the occasional thread that catches my eye. Aside from that, many other things now occupy my time.

I also spend less time stressing about finances. We have continued to live as we always have, well below our means. We don’t scrimp or sacrifice in the least, but we also don’t chase after the latest do-dads or the big shiny objects either. I continue to take care of the fundamentals of prudent, conservative investment management and there continues to be more than we really need… so much so that we’ve significantly stepped up our charitable giving.

Also, in the less important category, trying to impress or seeking the approval of others… and I’m not even sure I have framed that one correctly. So much of my working life was the constant conscious effort to project the best image, to achieve the highest level of advancement, to maximize the end results. Now I volunteer several days a week for a local faith-based ministry. I’m also much more involved in our church and our local and overseas missions efforts, including travel to those countries and giving to and serving in those communities. My “first world problems” look very different and very small through the lens of a third world country. I don’t care whether people are impressed with or approve of anything in my life. I simply focus on trying to do what I feel called to do.

I’m not sure what the future holds but I feel more equipped to take it on and to make the most of it than ever before. Blessings to all in 2021!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2020, 11:19 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nice update post.
Old 12-29-2020, 08:20 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes, thanks for sharing your story!
Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 03:35 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Here's wishing you at LEAST those 25 years - and all in good health. We're at the 15 year post-FIRE mark and, while there are always unpleasant surprises (heh, heh, especially in the health department) mostly, it's been good. We love our location, our church, our friends, our family, most of our life experiences. So, no complaints - at least too few to mention (here!). YMMV and Aloha.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 03:37 PM   #5

+1. As someone 6 months in, I value these peeks at the future. Thanks!
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 04:48 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I am still working and i killed my twitter account just after the election. Never looked back, small minded frustrated people on both sides. Congrats! I hope to be there soon.
thepalmersinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 05:41 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestUniversity View Post
While I realize that I potentially have 25 more years on this earth it’s also abundantly clear that it could pass by in a flash, and that it will require intentionality on my part to spend whatever time there is left wisely.

Well said!

Now when I look at things, I ask do I want to spend the time on whatever? Back in the pre-retirement days, it was the opposite, do I want to spend the money on whatever.

Great job, enjoyed reading your journey and enjoy yourself!
Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 05:50 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm impressed! Congratulations on a work life well-managed and turning into a fulfilling retirement.

I'm 18 months in, but with some chaos in my life for the first year, I'm only starting to let go of the stress. I constantly have to remind myself that I'm not in a hurry, and I can have bread and cheese for dinner if I want. I have recently moved to be closer to my daughter, SIL, and darling granddaughter. After the pandemic, I hope to settle into a church, volunteer work, and creating a life similar to yours for myself.
trumpeting_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 04:55 PM   #9

You sure do have things figured out and very nicely said!
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 07:20 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Just completed my first year in retirement but still trying to advance to places and goals I had set out for my own retirement.

Congratulations and wish you 25 more years of fulfillment in good health.
Green Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 03:40 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thank you all for the gracious comments!
Old 01-16-2021, 03:06 PM   #12
Dryer sheet wannabe

A really well written post that provides some valuable insight from your
two year journey, so far.

Look forward to reading more about your retriement in the future.
WhiskyDave is offline   Reply With Quote