Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-25-2015, 08:47 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One factor not really mentioned here in the discussion is that many of the FIRE members here on the board are introverts. They are happy to be at home and do things locally. Significant external activity is not required.

In my case, I have moved around the country for work. Moving sucks, and avoidance of that is worth staying put. I do think one final move to a retirement location is in my future, still considering where that will be.

Although still working approx OMY for me, I look forward to taking more trips in my motorhome, being able to work on my old cars int he garage, and having mroe time to do house projects and yard work. I may be in minority, but I enjoy being out in the yard, mowing lawn or working in yard and garden. I will never pay someone to mow my yard, as long as I am able to.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2015, 08:51 AM   #42
Dryer sheet aficionado

I can understand and empathize with those that desire to stay put. I pretty much lived in an airplane for 15+ years when I was wo*king and that traumatized me for life. I have been a lot of places and done a lot of things but when I step back and assess the many events and adventures I find that lifes simple pleasures are what I enjoy and appreciate the most.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:55 AM   #43

This is truly a great group of folks, thank you for sharing your perspective. Truth be told I have lived in the same general area for the last 48 years and am somewhat of a homebody.

I have a great family and lifelong friends. I like doing things like going for a bicycle ride or just staying home playing board games. I like either being by myself or with people I know. I would rather blend in then be the center of attention.

I do not want to travel just to travel. I would like to go experience other parts of the world for periods of time like 6 months to a year at a time. I have never had the time for this so our exploration has all been in North America.

When I am retired I will have both time and money so I should in theory be able to live 'in the most ideal location in all the world' right? But in the end there will probably be no place like home (where family and friends are).
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:21 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Only 2 months into FIRE, but my typical days are morning coffee with an English muffin and a bowl of fruit while surfing my favorite forums and checking up on email.

I'll throw out some bird seed and watch the backyard menagerie for a bit before starting on morning chores.

Then I'll use google maps to pick a spot I've never been to that is within say 1 hr drive.

As an avid hiker/explorer, I now have the luxury of time to just...go.

The possibilities of local exploration are limitless and I've already been to so many places I've always wanted to check out, but unable to because of w*rk/time demands.

Haven't been disappointed yet! And I get the 'travel bug' out of my system at a fraction of the cost (or none at all).

Toss in an impulse stop at bistro, coffee shop, or snack shack where I'm exploring and feel like I've just 'splurged'.

By later afternoon I'm back home with time still to relax before supper.
BBQ-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:27 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

^ that's living the dream IMO - congrats!
Old 03-25-2015, 11:18 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

We tend to stay close to home in the summer since our great summers in Vermont are our dividend for putting up with winter. We have a place on the water and it is very hard to get me to travel to somewhere when so many other people are coming here for their summer vacation. In the summer we play a lot of golf, pontoon rides a couple times a week, home improvement projects and local day trips here and there.

In fact, just the other day I was just commiserating with a friend who retired recently who also lives on the water and we are both interested in visiting Alaska but are loathe to leave Vermont in the summer which is prime time to see Alaska and much of the rest of the lower 48. Quite a dilemma, I must say.

In the winter we travel, in part to get away from the snow and cold. Last year it was California, Hawaii and Texas. This year, a leisurely drive to and from Florida with a month in Naples. I suspect at some point in the near future we will just become snowbirds.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:37 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derslickmeister View Post
For some it can be defined in one word, "contentment"
+1 The "normal everyday things" that many ERs are doing are exactly the things we didn't have enough time for when we were w*rking. Today I did some bathroom remodeling, and have been as content/happy as a clam, while getting a lot of satisfaction from the fruits of my labor. That rarely happened in the last few years when someone was giving me a paycheck.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:39 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

I do split my time between two locations providing everything I need to enjoy my favorite outdoors activities, so I see no need to explore further. And I enjoy many artistic activities that require no travel at all.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:02 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Been twice each to the north & south pole, pretty much all of the countries around the pacific rim, every US state, most US big cities, tourist traps, etc. As others have mentioned, “Uncle Sam” moved me around a lot. As entertainment, I’ve jumped out of perfectly good airplanes, did scuba, blah, blah. With the various injuries from active duty, my enthusiasm for traveling about has waned significantly.

I do want to get out of our current rental (the wife will not retire yet), into something we own, and spend time tinkering to make things better.
unno2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:09 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
^ that's living the dream IMO - congrats!
Today I discovered that there is an extension open space to the Torrey Pines State Preserve that I never knew was there!

A wonderful space nestled in the surrounding slopes and crags with some great trails and overviews.

The weather was perfect - clear, some sun, a bit of breeze atop the bluffs with a serene view of the beach down below.

Spent about 2 hrs just exploring the area.

Absolutely delightful 'get away' for the morning.

I snapped some pics:
http://erikt.cts.com/Pictures/torrey...ines-Ext-1.jpg
http://erikt.cts.com/Pictures/torrey...ines-Ext-2.jpg
http://erikt.cts.com/Pictures/torrey...ines-Ext-3.jpg
http://erikt.cts.com/Pictures/torrey...ines-Ext-4.jpg
http://erikt.cts.com/Pictures/torrey...ines-Ext-5.jpg
Old 03-25-2015, 05:26 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
Most of my life was spent moving around. I realize now what I missed out on by not having roots and close friendships.
That comment reminded me of a couple of good friends from way back in the day. We had a gang of good friends that spent most weekends together...parties all the time, hitting the bar, BBQ's, playing ball tournaments, etc. The couple was part of a group of 15 or so people.

Then they bought a cabin and were spending every single weekend at it...right out the door Friday after work, and then back home Sunday night. They no longer went to parties, played ball tournaments, or went to BBQ's because they all happened on the weekend and they had their "cabin". Unless it was a wedding, they never stayed in the city.

Fast forward to 20 years and they had had enough of cabin life and sold it, but all their close friends had long since become acquaintances...after all, you can only miss so many events before people stop inviting you. The group had all developed deeper friendships over the years while they were the couple you only see every few months. I went to their 25th anniversary a few years ago and they were saying that they never see anyone any more. Their constant weekend "travel" to the cabin over the years had robbed them of some close friendships.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:47 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post
Today I discovered that there is an extension open space to the Torrey Pines State Preserve that I never knew was there!

A wonderful space nestled in the surrounding slopes and crags with some great trails and overviews.

The weather was perfect - clear, some sun, a bit of breeze atop the bluffs with a serene view of the beach down below.

Spent about 2 hrs just exploring the area.

Absolutely delightful 'get away' for the morning.

I snapped some pics:
http://erikt.cts.com/Pictures/torrey...ines-Ext-1.jpg
http://erikt.cts.com/Pictures/torrey...ines-Ext-2.jpg
http://erikt.cts.com/Pictures/torrey...ines-Ext-3.jpg
http://erikt.cts.com/Pictures/torrey...ines-Ext-4.jpg
http://erikt.cts.com/Pictures/torrey...ines-Ext-5.jpg
Great Photos! Looks like the wildflowers are in bloom. Thanks for reminding me about this part of the park. We will have to get out there in the next few days.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:49 PM   #53
Dryer sheet aficionado

I see my parents/neighbors etc who are retired moving ... to low (tax - traffic - cost of living - maintenance- etc. - etc.) areas. Taking cruises, world tours, always going somewhere that will be better than where they are now. I have friends who have moved six times in ten years of retirement.

What is it that keeps people from staying in one spot? Inability to identify what is truly satisfying? Unhappiness with current life situation? Grass is always greener syndrome?

Will this happen to me? Right now I am thinking a ton of bike rides. Taking care of all those home upgrades I always craved, but never completed. Get a puppy and train her to visit schools and nursing homes. Learn to play piano (finally)? Take up cross country skiing again?

Anything but never being able to stop and smell the roses. While working have had to be on the go all the time. Let me catch my breath!
ERsoonihope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:56 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMan View Post
Great Photos! Looks like the wildflowers are in bloom. Thanks for reminding me about this part of the park. We will have to get out there in the next few days.
Well - I had a great time 'discovering' this spot.

I kept grinning and saying to myself 'this is so cool!'

I'll definitely be back with the DW - maybe we'll see you there!
Old 03-25-2015, 11:56 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
I see my parents/neighbors etc who are retired mowing grass, painting the house, sitting around doing normal everyday things. I have grandparents that have literally stayed put for the last 30 years.

What is it that keeps people in one spot? Age, money, family, no desire?

Will this happen to me? Right now I an thinking a small cottage on a quiet beach for awhile. A month in a ski resort. A summer exploring the North Pole. A winter in Panama?

Anything but nothing. While working have had to stay in one place. Let me out of here!
I think we are still trying to decide what our perfect retirement will be, but here is some food for thought from Matthieu Ricard, a Buddhist monk reported to be extremely happy based on actual brain scans -

"Happiness is not the pursuit of an endless succession of experiences. That's a recipe for exhaustion more than happiness. Happiness is a way of being. "

Life Lessons From The World's Happiest Man - Esquire

I'm signed up for a meditation class at a local Buddhist monastery. I'll let you know how it works out.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:27 AM   #56

Which end of that retirement rainbow has the pot of gold?
Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 01:00 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
What is it that keeps people in one spot? Age, money, family, no desire?
Retirement preference!
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:35 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Whether you travel or don't travel... You don't have to discuss it in a Monday morning meeting, gain consensus, communicate with peers and than evaluate your performance at the end of the trip/non trip .

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
petershk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:51 AM   #59

Love to travel, but love to get back home. We take a few one, two, and three week trips per year with the three week usually being overseas. We are typically traveling about eight weeks per year, but not all at once. This suits us well...a chance to travel but plenty of time to enjoy home.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:34 PM   #60

I love England/Scotland, Italy and the Rockies but would like to explore the Cascades and Puget Sound area, as well as Croatia and New Zealand.
Also like the home place.
It's not an either/or.
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote