Old 12-25-2005, 09:00 AM   #81
Full time employment: Posting here.

Re: Up in Chiang Mai...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Funds, Will Retire
I thought it was "bar finds"...* :
Yes, they have those as well

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2005, 09:03 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsOfVeal
I think at 50+, Lancelot's a bit old to be getting into bar fights on a regular basis. I don't think that he needs to bail himself out of jail that often.
You got that right; luckily for me, I can run faster than most of my adversaries

Old 12-25-2005, 02:07 PM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The better part of valor... 8)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 02:24 PM   #84
Confused about dryer sheets

That brings back great memories! I was stationed there for a year with the USAF 1971-1972. I rented a large house/bungalow, four bedrooms, maids quarters, veranda, etc behind the Rimcom (? spelling) hotel from the hotel management. It was something like $100./mo. I shared it with two other guys and a live in maid. There were only about fifty of us G.I.s there along with a few DEA agents and consulate folks. I've always wanted to go back there and since retirement is coming up in less than two years now, just may do that!
retgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:10 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by retgi
That brings back great memories! I was stationed there for a year with the USAF 1971-1972.* I rented a large house/bungalow, four bedrooms, maids quarters, veranda, etc* behind the Rimcom (? spelling) hotel from the hotel management. It was something like $100./mo. I shared it with two other guys and a live in maid. There were only about fifty of us G.I.s there along with a few DEA agents and* consulate folks. I've always wanted to go back there and since retirement is coming up in less than two years now, just may do that!
Prices have increased a bit since then :, but come on over! you won't regret it.

Old 05-18-2006, 04:39 AM   #86

We just returned from 9 months in Thailand. The time goes by very fast - so trips back to the US (except for emergencies) once retired, become a moot point.

The waves in Phuket this time of year are awesome. Great for body surfing or regular long board surfing.. and they have jet skis (if that is your thing) boating, diving, snorkeling, etc.

Once you settle in... living is easy and affordable. (the way it 'should' be!)*

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
Old 08-23-2006, 04:47 PM   #87
Dryer sheet aficionado

Lancelot, Ben
I am definitely moving to Thailand in 5 years. That is when I will reach my FIRE. I will be 50. I am trying to figure out where I want to settle. My wife is from Ubon and I really like it up there. I have concerns however that in the long run I would be happier with some kind of English speaking community nearby (expats). Maybe a expat moo ban? Or near one?
What did you decide to do? Rent/build/own…. In the cities or near to one? BKK /Chiang Mai etc. Or are you in a small village in Issan?
What about heath care? I know of Bumrungrad International Hospital (hospitalized there once. excellent care!) But what about where you are? What do you do for medical Insurance? All the experts say self Insuring is very dangerous in retirement. As an American in a foreign country what is the tax situation for us back in the States? I am not retired so I don't know what I will be paying in retirement.
Thanks in advance
Mike

mikeL is offline   Reply With Quote