Update on Our NUE VUE! (Saturn) - Photo

ShokWaveRider

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Well, we have had this car over 2 weeks now. It has actually turned out beyond my expectations. It is tremendous value for the money overall. While it is no Lexus, the upholstery and fittings are not that bad, and the engine has more than enough power for our needs. The most unexpected things I have noticed about it are the quality of the paint, the amount of space inside and the audio. Plenty of rear seat leg room, lots of cargo space, an excellent quality CD Radio unit (Standard). The car even has it's own hands free auto mute phone built in with the On-Star System. The quality of the cloth seating could be better, but I did insist on cloth as opposed to leather. A nice velour would have been preferred. It came with Mudflaps, Tinted Glass and body striping at no extra cost. The ABS brakes are also undetectable when driving in the rain and yes, I tested them. It is getting about 25mpg in town and I have not Highwayed it yet.

Here is a photo of her, be nice her name is "Purdy" (Same as the ol' Bronco II she replaced)

saturn.jpg

Re: First Looks at Our NUE VUE! (Saturn) - Photo

Nice! I like it.

Do you always name your cars? I thought we were the only ones who did that. My Accord is named "Jane". As in "Jane Honda".

CJ

cj said:
Nice! I like it.

Do you always name your cars? I thought we were the only ones who did that. My Accord is named "Jane". As in "Jane Honda".

CJ

Yes, but I always call them the same name. Purdy I, II etc.

SWR

ShokWaveRider said:
Yes, but I always call them the same name.
When our cars are working they're named "Hers."

When they're not working they're named "Yours."

Same way with kids... ::)

Nice looking  8)
Does the Vue have the dent resistant body like the Saturn sedan has?

Yes, in fact that was one of my likes from a selection perspective. The complete side panels from front to back are composite. The only metal panels are the hood and the liftgate.

SWR

Well, she certainly is Purdy .... I like the color.

SWR you've done so much research I'm just gonna go buy one. ;) I'm sick of shopping and researching.

How is the road noise? My RAV is so darn noisy! I've heard the Highlanders are much better, but I'm not excited about shelling out $25,000 for a used one!

Sheryl said:
SWR you've done so much research I'm just gonna go buy one. ;) I'm sick of shopping and researching.

How is the road noise? My RAV is so darn noisy! I've heard the Highlanders are much better, but I'm not excited about shelling out $25,000 for a used one!

Sheryl, As I mentioned previously, it is no Lexus. However, The only car(s) I drove that were noticably quieter were the Subaru Forester and the Kia Sorento. I would not say it is dead quiet, but I certainly can say it is not really noisy either. It tends to depend on the road surface. This leads me to believe it may be the type of tire used. It certainly does not bother me.

Go drive one for yourself and compare. Make sure you check out the rebates first as Saturn do not haggle. But they do not add the shafting dealer fees either.

SWR

DOG51 said:
Very nice. Didn't you say it was under 18k?

After Rebates it was $17,890 AND then They took off the amount of my old tired trade. I think I got a good deal for what I paid. And so far.... I would do it again.

SWR

ShokWaveRider said:
After Rebates it was $17,890 The They took off the amount of my old tired trade. I think I got a good deal for what I paid. And so far.... I would do it again.

SWR

Thanks - keep us posted. Especially if you change your mind!

How does it compare height-wise and space-wise with the Sorento? I drove a rented Sorento and wondered where the tallness went as I didn't seem to have any extra room. My conclusion was they raised the center of gravity for no apparent benefit. The Vue looks lower, but it's hard to tell from a picture. (I'm tall and like higher seats, but if being bigger doesn't result in more room I'm wondering why increase the rollover risk?)

BigMoneyJim said:
How does it compare height-wise and space-wise with the Sorento? I drove a rented Sorento and wondered where the tallness went as I didn't seem to have any extra room. My conclusion was they raised the center of gravity for no apparent benefit. The Vue looks lower, but it's hard to tell from a picture. (I'm tall and like higher seats, but if being bigger doesn't result in more room I'm wondering why increase the rollover risk?)

If you check their web site. www.saturn.com you can read the specs on height etc. I think you can DL a brochure also. I am only 5' 10" so I am not a good reference for measurements. There is PLENTY of room for me. It is lower to the ground than my Ol' Bronco II I do know that. I think 8" clearance if I remember correctly, but please do not quote me on that.

SWR

Looks nice!

My forester is named Cooter. (the dogs are Bow and Luke and the large screen TV is Daisy).

Just thought I would fille you all in. I filled the car up for the first time today. 15 Gallons exactly, 360 miles. General Driving Some Freeway mostly town and city. 24mpg average 87 Octane. $2.20 per gallon here in St. Augustine. So far so good.

SWR

SWR, thanks for the VUE info.  Please give us an update as time goes by. I always liked the look of them. The plastic panels are a plus here in big hail country. It would be perfect if the hood and hatch lid were plastic too! (though I realize engine heat would be a big problem for a plastic hood).

For hail repair, replacing cracked/broken/decimated glass is relatively easy. The $$$ and workmanship, or lack thereof, is in the steel or aluminum panel repair.  It can get very ugly. Cars get totalled fast.

The mild-hybrid VUE coming out soon looks interesting. A low premium for the hybrid, might actually get payback with it. And will probably be easier to work on versus the V6 VUE, as it has a 4. V6's in FWD vehicles are much harder to work on.

Telly said:
The mild-hybrid VUE coming out soon looks interesting. A low premium for the hybrid, might actually get payback with it. And will probably be easier to work on versus the V6 VUE, as it has a 4. V6's in FWD vehicles are much harder to work on.

Mine is the 4 2.2l with Manual Transmission. No lack of power. One of my criterion was a Manual transmission. I do not tow or anything though.

SWR

Still going strong after over a month. Should be I suppose. I ran the car in very carefully for the first 1000 miles. The manual says 500, so I doubled it to be safe. For the first Oil change it will get Mobil 1 Synthetic and then for life. If it was good enough for my 2000 Lotus Esprit Twin Turbo, it will certainly be good enough for the VUE.

I did a 500 mile trip last week in one day and averaged a little over 27mpg freeway at about 75 mph (Except going through Orlando which slows to a crawl at any time). Very comfortable (for the price) and smooth. Easy accellaration between 60 and 85, no problems with overtaking other vehicles. Road noise is average IMHO, again (for the price) and depends on the road surface. I find concrete is a little more noisy than tarmac. I still think it is a good $17k out the door worth of car. We actually cleaned it this weekend and noticed that the roof ws composite also the only steel panels on the car appear to be the hood and the liftgate. In the morning I do get a little noise from the engine, it seems to be a slight whine. As it only happens after being left overnight. I think it is the sound of the alternator. At least based on my experience it sounds like an alternator. I think it is just working harder to top off the battery after a nights rest. It is not bothersome, just more noticable first thing in the morning.

I did read the consumer reports on the car this weekend also and they are not so good. So far I disagree with them. I keep remembering and being pleased with the $17k OTD price tag! But time will tell.

SWR

Thanks for the update SWR. As far as Consumer Reports, sometimes they don't really considered the price - Sure, for ten grand more you'd get some improvements, but are they worth ten grand?

I'm still thinking about the RAV4 and waiting for the 6 cylinder to come out - but it sounds like I'll really pay for that in the reduced gas milage... Haven't ruled out the Vue yet!

What is the acceleration like, does it lose power on hills, and is it 4 wheel all the time, or automatic as needed:confused:

It is a Manual 5 speed 2.2L 4 Cyl. And No it does not loose power on hills. It is not 4 wheel only 2. It has 4 wheel ABS and Traction. My old 3L V6 Manual was terrible on hills, so I would notice.

Being European, (British) I am not afraid of a decent 4 cyl Twin Cam. They are pretty quick if designed properly and matched with the vehicle. You just have to make sure when you test drive it (Like the Tribute/Escape) that it is not a poor version and not right for the car. I would not recommend an automatic gearbox with the 4 cyl though.

I am a little biased, I like manual gearboxes. I think Automatics should be reserved for children, old ladies and over powered luxury cars. Not Sports cars though. Why would you buy a Porsche Twin Turbo 450 HP car and put an auto box in it. Pointless INHO. But I would not have a Mercedes S500 with manual shifter either, even if it was available. Maybe when I am 70 I will change my mind.

SWR

Manual Transmission are fun and I like them too.

However, if you ever want to sell your little SUV just be aware that almost nobody will be interested. Lots of people these days have never driven a manual.

So drive it till it falls apart or take a big hit on resale.

I do intend on keeping it till it falls apart. I had my last one for 18 years. My hopes are it will last as long as my last one. In reality I would not take that much of a hit on it as I did not pay that much for it in the first place. If I was buying it for resale that would be different. Again like my sports car analagy, the reverse is usually true.

SWR

Back
Top Bottom