Vagabondage or NOT? Need advice.

If it was me, I think I'd box some of those smaller treasures and mail them to myself to arrive in the new place. Then I'd be sure to see them again, and that's what treasures are for.

kate

If the pieces have any sentimental value to you why not consider giving them to the good brother, if they would like to have them. Otherwise, why burden yourself with stuff? Would you miss having them to remind you of your travels?

Oldagepensioner:

You better take some warm clothes when you go to SF. You'll need sweaters/sweatshirts pretty much any time of year.

HFWR said:

Ding ding ding!

By the way, for things too large or un-ebay-worthy, theres a thing called "freecycle" where you join a local posting group of people near you, post what you want to give away, and if someone wants it, they respond to you and come get it. I had a bunch of stuff that I couldnt be bothered to try to sell. Old stove and dishwasher, an old backpack. An old grill that needed a new burner, grates and a serious cleaning. Bunch of people that looked pretty poor showed up to collect it all. Maybe they sold it and made a few bucks off of the gift, or maybe they really needed it. There appears to be an art and several artists engaging in how good a story they can tell you about what they're going to use it for...

Don't forget Craig's List.
Have been using lately to clear house clutter prior to sale.
Amazing responses with no hassle and no fees.
nwsteve

OldAgePensioner said:
My biggest issue (getting rid of things) seems to be summed up by this particular dilemma:
-- I have a real ivory (elephant) chess set made in Hong Kong 1915. It is worth $3000-$4000 and I no longer even look at it. I can't just throw it in a trash can.--

I'll send you my Fedex account number and $20 and you can send it to me! ;)

Seriously for stuff that may be worth something, take it to an antique store and sell it to them. They'll make a killing reselling it, but at least whoever pays for it will value it highly (better than the trash can).

I've had similar dilemmas with my "junk". Things that are worth something or supposedly have a tiny amount of sentimental value, but that I don't want anymore. It hurts to toss it in the garbage, but if you really don't need it and never use it and it serves no purpose in your life, what else should you do with it? I've tossed a lot of junk and can't really think of anything that I'm missing right now.

I wanted to mention something else.

I'm reading a book right now called "Vagabonding". Not sure if you have read it yet, but it's pretty short and a quick read. I'm only part way through, but I think they talk about "getting rid of stuff" and generally wandering the earth. Sounds like it might be right up your alley. Deals more with the international traveler type of vagabond though.

http://www.vagabonding.net/book/

I'm going to try to post a "book review" once I finish reading it.

I was thinking along the same lines when Katrina struck and wiped out so many houses. I was trying to think what I would save if "the big one" was headed my way. I might be able to fill my car up with stuff I really want. That's about it.

2 computers (or their harddrives), some old photos and our photos on CDs, a file cabinet drawer with our tax info, important documents and the like in it. A suitcase full of clothes (15 outfits or so would do it). Coin collection (some sentimental value). My family (of course).

Pretty much everything else is just "stuff". I can replace it all if need be. I never use hardly any of it anyway.

One reason why I have flood insurance on my house but not its contents :)

OldAgePensioner said:
Part of my question is also this: Are there implications to erasing your past?

By becoming a vagabond, I "obscure" my past which would usually be captured in yearbooks, memorabilia, pictures, awards, records, etc. So what little tiny spot that I occupied in this world for 56 years is now erased except in my memory (term used loosely).

But would anyone care? Do any of you look back at mementos of siblings or parents very often?

I have in our living room some knick knacks that belonged to my MIL, a clock of my FIL, a chair my grandfather made, and other family stuff. I like having those mementos around me to remind me of them. I have nothing of my mother's except a very few pictures. I really wish I had more. But maybe I am too sentimental. :confused:

Have your good brother store your paired down stuff for a while and see if he wants the chess set.

I must confess that I don't get your hurry to decamp. You said you love Chicago except for the cold winter. You are now looking at 7 or 8 months of good weather coming to Chicago. All summer you will have the Lakefront for play, and to watch young women at play. You have haunts; you have familiar people and places. You have a nicely decorated apartment in a very good building. And just maybe you like what Gerald Durrell called the "Spirit of the Place".

I never went anywhere, even when I was young, that it didn't take at least some months before I quit wishing that I hadn't made the move. Wait; there was one move- from Boston to LA. But by then I hated Boston.

I guess you have decided and made a week’s visit to San Francisco to know what you are getting into, so, Bon Voyage!

Ha

OldAgePensioner said:
martha,
your keepsakes are one of a kind with great sentimental value and it's those things that provide fond memories. I'm not sure I possess anything of sentimental value.

It isn't the things. The knick knacks and clock are stuff I would never buy. It is just the fact they were my relative's stuff so I like to look at them and have them around me. :)

OAP, put those things in storage or like someone said send them to your good brother. If after a while you don't want them have him either keep them or dispose of them as he sees fit. Who knows, maybe he'd like some of your things like Martha and I like our family items. Enjoy your voyage!

OAP, I am going through the similar experience regarding vagabonding and have already sold off, given away or trashed most of my stuff. I gave my large collection of classical, jazz, and big band LPs (what's that?) to a good friend of mine who is an avid collector. I was able to sell some stuff through craig's list. I am leaving the city, I have spent my entire adult life in. I will be driving in my 92 camry cross country for the 1st time, to Tucson where I have a dear friend. I have never been there. Except for a few days (he's married) with him, I'll have to find temp furnished rental since I plan to stay long enough to establish residency to get auto and health insurance. He has a friend who will allow me store my car and use his address for a nominal monthly fee. Then soon after, I will probably head off to Chiang Mai for 3 to 6 or more months. If I meet the "right" woman (fairly tales can come true) the whole thing could change.

I have lived a pretty sheltered and safe life so for the 1st time in my life, the rest of my future, is a bit foggy which is kinda scary, not that I feel it yet.

MasterBlaster,
thanks for reminding me.  But take a look at my avatar and tell me "How long will it take me to score with a girl like the one in your avatar?"

OldAgePensioner:

The girl in my avatar is just some footage that I shot of the cleaning lady out here. She was just cleanin' the floor.

In California girls like this are everywhere. You shouldn't have a problem.

Of course, you'll have to listen to her talk about her shoes and other mundane stuff like that !

MB

Ya know it's hard to read your posts with that movement on the left side.

OAP: Good luck to you. How is your health? You had a rough year with such a major surgery. You are a brave soul to leave everything and start anew. SF is a vibrant area, and I do hope you find some peace of mind, make a few friends and tell us all about your new journey. Also, your brother might cherish your chess set.

Back
Top Bottom