Volunteer for Hospice Organization?

ImThinkin2019

Recycles dryer sheets
I know volunteering has some negatives, which I'm grateful to people for pointing out. Nonetheless I'm thinking about giving some of my time to help in palliative care and hospice. Mostly because I want to be of service somehow, and I want to do what I can to make this part of people's lives a bit better.

I would probably be happiest being an errand runner, help with yard work, etc.

Has anyone on this forum done this sort of work?

Does anyone know of a good palliative care organization in the Western Hartford/Farmington CT region?

Thanks.

A friend works with hospice and spends time overnight with dying people when their relatives are not available. It is called vigil. It's a very valued service. I could not do it. After decades of working in healthcare I prefer to volunteer for other activities.

my wife does it for a small hospice. She does lunch once a week for those that are eating. She has been doing it for over a year and likes it. I am not sure I could do it but she feels like she is helping those in need.

Last edited:
DW volunteered in a hospice when we lived in NY. Some residents had no family nearby, she would just go in to visit and talk with them. I did as well, but less frequently, as there were far fewer men that were alone, without families or local connections.

It made a big and lasting positive impression on both of us. The only negative impact - the hospice where she volunteered was such an extraordinary facility, since moving away she has had difficulty finding another hospice or nursing home opportunity to volunteer because she looks for something similar. No shortage of other opportunities, though. No doubt in my mind if we were to return to that area she'd be back in a nanosecond.

Back
Top Bottom