Volunteering seems like work

<<The work itself was also uninteresting and unrewarding -- cleaning out kennels, basically. I didn't feel like I was helping the animals; I felt like I was helping the shelter with its to-do list. Also, it was work that other people were being paid (not much) to do, and I was doing it for free, so I felt like unpaid grunt labor. >>

Similar experience with a church group. One day the project was helping the local elementary school by collating pages for a class workbook handout. The teachers and staff in that town were paid well above the average. They should have been doing the work. Never mind that the workbook subject was ostensibly social skills but was actually values brainwashing.

I made a commitment to myself when I retired that I would never again do something that I don't like to do. I can and will assist people with almost anything, but I will not be in charge and will not attend meetings. If it involves lifting and toting, cleaning, driving, etc, I'm your man. But someone else can have the power and responsibility; I'm done with that part of my life.

Last edited:
I made a commitment to myself when I retired that I would never again do something that I don't like to do.

Same here. Since long before I retired I've always been happy to shovel my neighbors' sidewalks when it snowed, or cut the grass/rake the leaves/shop for groceries for elderly neighbors. That sort of thing is so easy and gives you such a nice feeling that I don't know why more people don't do it. It really costs nothing and makes somebody happy.

Formal organizations, OTOH, are not my thing. Sat in enough meetings during my employed years that I never want another one.

I made a commitment to myself when I retired that I would never again do something that I don't like to do. I can and will assist people with almost anything, but I will not be in charge and will not attend meetings. If it involves lifting and toting, cleaning, driving, etc, I'm your man. But someone else can have the power and responsibility; I'm done with that part of my life.
I made the same commitment —- about 3 years after I retired, after some first hand experience being a board member with a communications lead role. Never again. :cool:

I enjoy the volunteering I do now. :)

A small group, or one person, can ruin an organization for everyone else. Doesn’t matter if you’re paid or volunteer. A good leader can do wonders, if he/she can quickly weed out bad actors.

Last edited:
I like volunteering for things that have a limited time frame. Monday I start doing free taxes four days a week until April 15. Intense but rewarding and then I walk away for six months.

I’m chairing a major task force for my church and that should be done by Spring. Then, I walk away and do stuff for myself or home projects. I’m not an introvert but enjoy the company of select people.

What I can say is sure there are people I miss at work. Others I have kept in contact with. Bottom line is no matter what retirement is way better than working

Yes, volunteering IS w*rk... with no pay. So if you find something that's so fun to do that you look forward to it, or you get some kind of kick out of doing it, and you don't care if you pay out of pocket to do it (transportation, etc), do it, is my opinion. I volunteered when I first retired for a few weeks. I've done another one day volunteer and I realized it just felt too much like w*rk and it wasn't in any way rewarding. I'd rather be bored than doing what I've done as a volunteer.

Last edited:
Also it's just sometimes difficult to be a volunteer. I remember trying to find organizations to bring my daughter to, and a lot of times they don't have their act together. We'd show up and nothing to do or the contact isn't there. That's not a good way to show how "great" volunteering is to a kid.

Would agree that food banks are good places; they have set hours, it's generally one room, and you are hardly supervised. Maybe something like Project Read where you commit like an hour a week and hopefully have flexible time between you and the learner. Good luck!

+1
In addition to no meetings and not being in charge, I nix anything requiring that I “network” to gather up others or “build consensus”. I also do not accept keys.

Last edited:
DH has a couple of volunteer things that he loves and is very good at. He’s also very personable so people like him, and objective about what he wants. I hated the two volunteer things I did for two years after REing and will never do it again—if an organization needs money, I step right up, but that’s it.

The world still turns, with or without us.

I guess my experiences with volunteering has been great and rewarding. I think for me I keep in mind the causes I do work for, I'm making a difference and giving back. The easy way to give back is writing a check. To me that isn't as rewarding as getting my hands dirty and pitching in for the man power a lot of these organizations really need. Yep might be some BS but I focus on the cause and the good for others.

I guess my experiences with volunteering has been great and rewarding. I think for me I keep in mind the causes I do work for, I'm making a difference and giving back. The easy way to give back is writing a check. To me that isn't as rewarding as getting my hands dirty and pitching in for the man power a lot of these organizations really need. Yep might be some BS but I focus on the cause and the good for others.

Organizations that need a lot of volunteers also often need money. Good that we can all do what we do best for them.

I've been retired 5+ years now and have gravitated towards work with very loose time commitments. That includes managing the church Web site and doing the electronic newsletter every other month, Toastmasters Treasurer, etc. The Church Finance Committee, Garden Club Secretary and HOA Board Secretary do require periodic meetings but they're good people. Bonus: Church Finance Committee meetings MUST end after an hour because a vestry meeting follows. I'm not on the vestry.

I clean the church once a month- it's probably the commitment I enjoy least but we save a ton of money and we run on a lean budget. Many members aren't physically able to do it.

My greatest joy is just walking out of a meeting that's gotten out of control and has gone on too long. I just say, "I've got to go" and I leave. If you can't produce a timed agenda and stick to it, I'm not going to let it be my problem.

Some volunteer organizations and supervisors treat their volunteers like they would treat paid employees. I run away from these.

Others treat their volunteers like they are volunteers, and realize and appreciate that the volunteers don't have do be doing what they are doing. I gravitate toward these.

This morning was a perfect volunteer stint for me. I helped the church high school youth group with their can and bottle drive to make money for the mission trip this summer. Along with the teens, I sorted the donated plastic, glass and aluminum deposit containers, then counted and bagged them. It was a cold but sunny day, they are really good kids and the cause was worthy. And I did not have to organize or direct anything.

My preferred method of volunteer work is Random Acts of Kindness. An example; I have an elderly neighbor. He's pretty active, but isn't able to do all the outdoor chores on a timely manner. Acorns, for example, can cover his driveway making for a slip or fall hazard. Once a week or so, while I'm out with my leaf blower, I'll extend over to his place and blow off the leaves and acorns. Other times I'll haul fire wood he has stacked in a shed to his front porch. I loaned him a generator when our electric utility shuts us off for high wind/fire danger (California, don'tcha know) saving him from multiple losses of his freezer/fridge food.

He 'needs' to repay me, so instead of putting a mail and newspaper hold when we go out of town, he collects those for us until we return.

There's lots of folks who just need a helping hand if you just look around. There is no schedule, rules, boss even.

My dad is in a retirement home. My wife and I go down regularly to visit with Dad. We noticed a need to set up some activities, so now we do BINGO once a week. Well, my wife does. I fix stuff around the place, mostly outdoor stuff; a sticky gate, flower bed needs mulch, etc. I buy a huge bag of peanuts and hand them out to those who like to feed the squirrels. The elderly love it! Some times I'll give them a wheel chair ride across the street to the park. They especially love when the high school lets out and get to see all the kids. One day around Christmas, a group a young high school girls were passing. They stopped, whispered in a huddle and came back. Turns out they were a choir group and sang us carols. Gifting your talents costs near nothing and can mean the world to another.

Sometimes I go to our local 'ReStore', an outlet that takes in and sells donated construction goods from home owners and contractors, affiliated with Habitat For Humanity. I enjoy repairing and restoring appliances. They require I sign in and log the hours for some reason. Occasionally, they send me free admission to Disneyland tickets for the work I do. I've never asked them for those, they just show up in the mail maybe once a year or so. DW and I love to go and the tickets inspire us to take the trip. While we don't go on many rides, Disneyland has a lot of other interesting things to do if you aren't burdened with trying to get value from a $100+ entry fee. I've got a homeless camp I built on Tom Sawyer Island! Ha! Naw, just a quiet spot I found to take a nap....

Last edited:
We volunteered by coming up with unique things we could do for an organization we were already involved with, proposing it, and doing it on our own terms and schedules. Usually involved my husband’s photo or fine art printing skills, and sometimes mine in graphic arts or video production. We occasionally would help guide at a local annual nature festival. We would occasionally help friends with their self-initiated volunteer project.

This worked well for us.

I plan to do some piano playing at Dad’s assisted living place. My limited but growing repertoire. I guess that falls in this category. I know it will be appreciated.

Last edited:
My preferred method of volunteer work is Random Acts of Kindness. An example; I have an elderly neighbor. He's pretty active, but isn't able to do all the outdoor chores on a timely manner. Acorns, for example, can cover his driveway making for a slip or fall hazard. Once a week or so, while I'm out with my leaf blower, I'll extend over to his place and blow off the leaves and acorns. Other times I'll haul fire wood he has stacked in a shed to his front porch. I loaned him a generator when our electric utility shuts us off for high wind/fire danger (California, don'tcha know) saving him from multiple losses of his freezer/fridge food.

He 'needs' to repay me, so instead of putting a mail and newspaper hold when we go out of town, he collects those for us until we return.

There's lots of folks who just need a helping hand if you just look around. There is no schedule, rules, boss even.

Pretty much aligns with my approach. Several widows in my area that can use a hand. In structured volunteering, it started to look like megacorp...run!

Pretty much aligns with my approach. Several widows in my area that can use a hand. In structured volunteering, it started to look like megacorp...run!

We ran from Meals On Wheels. Once they gave my wife the wrong address. The protocol when someone doesn't answer the door is to try the knob and, if unlocked, place the meal in the fridge. So she knocked, no answer, went in and after loud announcements of who and why she's there, put the food in the fridge. As she was heading toward the door to leave, someone, obviously waking up, came down the hall to see what or who was in their kitchen. Let's just say, things got tense. She decided enough of that!

I've learned that I'm a better and happier volunteer when there's beer involved. :)

I've learned that I'm a better and happier volunteer when there's beer involved. :)
A few of my gigs involve this activity, after the work is done, of course. Maybe THAT's why I like them over other volunteer activities.

I fly for Angel Flight West and Pilots n' Paws. I select which missions I want to fly.
I also volunteer at a hospice once a week repairing walkers and wheelchairs. I have a set time because I work with another volunteer.
I also volunteer on a tourist railroad, and select when I want to go.
I used to volunteer with the AARP tax aide program, and that was more like w*rk because of set times, etc.

On ocasion, I have used the following with arrogant or demagogue "managers" official or unofficial , in volunteer situations : 2, I take off my shoes, stare then eye to eye and say, " want to try a day in my life ? " , or
2, say " Follow me or get the **** out of my way ".

It has worked, when the unwelcome " management" finally gets it that I am serious. In most cases , these people were executives before retirement and have a hard time with raw truthfulness.

A softer method I have used is : caution tape around the area I am working and a printed " NO KIBITZING ZONE "sign.

Attachments

• 15812013164134942024225514470116.jpg
    15812013164134942024225514470116.jpg
    475.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Gave up volunteering after the first one cost me three years in uniform, became Government Property. It did get me three hots and a cot plus clothing. Good lesson for the rest of my life.

My preferred method of volunteer work is Random Acts of Kindness. There's lots of folks who just need a helping hand if you just look around. There is no schedule, rules, boss even.
This is my philosophy too. Volunteering for me is more about the needs of others (yes I do get some satisfaction) and it isn't really volunteering. It is more like doing. Picking up litter, putting trash cans by the house, mowing a lawn that clearly needs it, pulling some weeds, spreading some fertilizer, clearing a sidewalk, driveway or someone's stairs.

Back
Top Bottom