Join Early Retirement Today

W*rk Mail
Old 07-01-2020, 01:20 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

W*rk Mail

What do I do about "professional mail?" Industry stuff and a professional society subscription or two. If I change the addresses to home I will likely get a blizzard of advertising mail along with the few things I might want. Getting a PO box for a trickle of good mail seems inconvenient and well as a small additional expense. I live nearby and could come in periodically to pick up mail but coming to work post retirement seems dumb. Has anyone else faced this? Ideas?
RetMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2020, 01:25 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have a PO box that costs about $100 for the year (box size 3 so can hold a decent amount). I swing by once or twice month to clean it out. I would just have it delivered to the house, but since attorney license information (as well as mailing address) is public knowledge, I prefer to keep my home address as much of a secret as I can.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:31 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetMD21 View Post
What do I do about "professional mail?" Industry stuff and a professional society subscription or two. If I change the addresses to home I will likely get a blizzard of advertising mail along with the few things I might want. Getting a PO box for a trickle of good mail seems inconvenient and well as a small additional expense. I live nearby and could come in periodically to pick up mail but coming to work post retirement seems dumb. Has anyone else faced this? Ideas?
Before I retired, I changed all mail I wanted to home address. Next, I contacted anyone that sent unwanted mail and asked to be taken off lists. It worked.

The mailroom at my Megacorp had a policy of treating any mail received at company as company property. No forwarding. I agree with that policy.

Policy also applied to email and voicemail on company telecom equipment.
samm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:10 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I let all my memberships, professional registrations, subscriptions, etc. expire when I escaped. Don’t care what megacorp did with anything I might have received at the old address. I still get junk mail at home for continuing education once in a while, but I pass my recycle bin in the garage on the way back in from the mailbox. That stuff was never relevant anyway.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
I let all my memberships, professional registrations, subscriptions, etc. expire when I escaped. Don’t care what megacorp did with anything I might have received at the old address. I still get junk mail at home for continuing education once in a while, but I pass my recycle bin in the garage on the way back in from the mailbox. That stuff was never relevant anyway.
This.
Professional society memberships lapsed when I retired because they were way too pricey for me to pay out of pocket for. Work got the memberships at a discounted price.

Didn't want to read professional journals after I retired... part of the change in mindset of not needing to stay current anymore was no longer having to read about new solutions/trends/etc.
Old 07-01-2020, 03:15 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Same here.
Old 07-01-2020, 03:41 PM   #7

Quote:
I did the same, except for my PE registration. MO has the option the put it into Inactive status. I would need to update CU credits to activate. Never intend to use it, but for little cost ($35 every 2 years) it made sense.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetMD21 View Post
yup. i canceled everything...memberships, subscriptions. i'm retired. but even then a few mags and mailings kept coming to the office or so i was told. i declined to pick them up. for all i kmow they're still coming.
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 04:53 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Well a #3 PO box is $150/year so I went with a #2. I was able to reserve it online. I have paid for 6 months. I am probably just kicking the decision down the road bur maybe I'll know what I want to do by then.
RetMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:32 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by samm View Post
Before I retired, I changed all mail I wanted to home address. .....
+1
I did that as well.

Some things I switched electronic versions instead of paper and gave a disposable email address.

Only got a few other unwanted things, certainly no blizzard. Just tossed them in the trash and they stopped after a while.
Old 07-03-2020, 04:13 AM   #11

I switched everything I could to digital. As much as people complain. I really don’t find much junk in the mail anymore, except during political campaign years. Some of the junk is actually useful coupons for local stories.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:56 AM   #12

I let everything lapse except my license. I will most likely not renew it this year, as I am no longer working on call, and don't plan too anymore!
Old 07-04-2020, 11:13 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

They been refusing to accept any work mail for us for years I just let it go.
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 06:16 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

All of my professional journals and newsletters have always been delivered to my home while w*orking. I figured that once I stopped paying annual dues that these would stop. But it took nearly 1 1/2 years for the journals to stop. Now, I still received a specialty newsletter once a month, nearly 2 1/2 years since retirement. It doesn’t bother me.

I did contact by email my medical specialty board and the DEA about my retirement. The DEA thanked me and said they would put a note in my file. The medical specialty board asked if I would like to pay a one-time $25 fee to put my license as “retired” rather than “delinquent.” I sent them the fee.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote