Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-11-2009, 12:02 PM   #281
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by militaryman View Post
Although I was activated for Op. Northern Watch...
watching for Canadians crossing the border on skidoos heading to florida?

in all seriousness, thanks for your service!
Kroeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2009, 12:36 PM   #282
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by militaryman View Post
Here's to hoping all these calculations hold true and SS is there in 15 years in some capacity.
I am starting to think that it will be there, in some sort of means tested capacity. Nobody wants to see colonies of seniors living under bridges and begging for food. But, those who can afford the necessities may not get the full amount of SS. Then again, what do I know? I don't even know what health care in this country will look like in a month or two.

One thing I DO know, is that (believe me) retirement is everything you have hoped for and dreamed of, and more! I am taking to it like a duck to water. I was born to be retired.

This morning I had an appointment to go get blood drawn for routine lab tests, and I realized this is the first time in over a month when I have had to set the alarm clock. So after a while, I think I will take a nap...

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Me Too
Old 12-11-2009, 12:56 PM   #283
Recycles dryer sheets

Me Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I was born to be retired.
Me too. I am more active and spend more time outdoors. I pay better attention to my health. I can fully entertain all my hobbies. I forgot how much I loved gardening, fishing, huiking, brewing etc. I have lost 30 pounds since retiring. Now it seems I am always thin, tan and rested.

My favorite part of retiring is Sunday afternoons. While working, Sundays were never really time off because my midafternoon I was already thinking about the next day. No more!
Old 12-11-2009, 01:10 PM   #284
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellbender View Post
Me too. I am more active and spend more time outdoors. I pay better attention to my health. I can fully entertain all my hobbies. I forgot how much I loved gardening, fishing, huiking, brewing etc. I have lost 30 pounds since retiring. Now it seems I am always thin, tan and rested.

My favorite part of retiring is Sunday afternoons. While working, Sundays were never really time off because my midafternoon I was already thinking about the next day. No more!
I love gradually becoming more active now that I can do what I want. After one month of retirement accompanied by a lot of stresss reduction, I am a much happier person and more pleasant to be around. I feel much healthier, too! I have been losing about a pound a week, but the neat thing is that I am not even trying very hard at it. I hear you about Sundays! I also like watching the traffic on TV on Monday mornings, on days when I happen to awaken early enough to do so.

I have been taking care of some things around the house that needed to be done, but had been putting off. Now I have all the time in the world to get them done!

Old 12-11-2009, 03:11 PM   #285
Administrator

Quote:
I love gradually becoming more active now that I can do what I want. After one month of retirement accompanied by a lot of stresss reduction, I am a much happier person and more pleasant to be around. I feel much healthier, too! I have been losing about a pound a week, but the neat thing is that I am not even trying very hard at it. I hear you about Sundays! I also like watching the traffic on TV on Monday mornings, on days when I happen to awaken early enough to do so.

I have been taking care of some things around the house that needed to be done, but had been putting off. Now I have all the time in the world to get them done!
It has been great reading your posts over this past month as you transition into the ER lifestyle (and as you point out above, I'm now VERY close myself.)

DW retired yesterday (she has been ESR'ed this last 4.5 years, working 2 days a week so has had a nice gentle transition). Anywho, that is another milestone passed in our household
Old 12-11-2009, 03:32 PM   #286
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
It has been great reading your posts over this past month as you transition into the ER lifestyle (and as you point out above, I'm now VERY close myself.)

DW retired yesterday (she has been ESR'ed this last 4.5 years, working 2 days a week so has had a nice gentle transition). Anywho, that is another milestone passed in our household
My sincere congratulations to your DW!!! How exciting that is, and how tough it must be for you to have to wait. Soon it will be your turn, though. You are so close - - these last days will just FLY by. At least, they did for me.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:12 PM   #287
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:

I spent 3 years losing ½ per week; with almost no conscious effort.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:32 PM   #288
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I spent 3 years losing ½ per week; with almost no conscious effort.
That sounds wonderful! I hope my recent easy weight loss is a long term thing too. I have had dreams like that.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:37 PM   #289
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulations W2R! I know it's a long time coming. Your patience paid off. I am so happy for you! You are an inspiration to a lot of us!
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:41 PM   #290
Moderator Emeritus

Thank you, GoodSense!! Retirement is honestly even better than I ever thought it could be, at least so far. It was worth all the hard work and penny-pinching.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:53 AM   #291
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
That sounds wonderful! I hope my recent easy weight loss is a long term thing too. I have had dreams like that.
Same story here I lost about 25+ lbs slowly after ER and so far (7 years later) weight is still off. The other wonderful thing about ER is that with the work stress gone some of the meds I had to take (like for acid reflux) haven't been needed.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 01:01 PM   #292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post

CONGRATS to DW! And you only have a little over a month left yourself, I see. WOW!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 01:11 PM   #293
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
CONGRATS to DW! And you only have a little over a month left yourself, I see. WOW!
Thanks

W2R's enthusiastic thread on her retirement really has me FIRE'd up

Last week at w*rk it was the same old deja-Moo* but this time I just didn't give a d*mn

* the feeling that you've seen this bull before
congrats
Old 12-12-2009, 01:28 PM   #294
Recycles dryer sheets

congrats

w2r Just want to wish you a happy and healthy retirement. jerry
CRABBY JERRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 02:51 PM   #295
Moderator Emeritus

Thank you, Jerry! So far, it has been extremely happy and I feel a lot healthier, too.

Alan, it is a good feeling when you realize you just don't give a d*** any more. That was a little difficult for me but I was lucky to have some really good co-workers that could take over my tasks, and think all the 'institutional knowledge" got transferred. At least, there have been no phone calls. I have only got on the internet once or twice to do a search and see if they have been creating or handling any huge messes reflecting poorly on my agency (none that I found). So, I guess I really don't care any more, either.

Is That You?
Old 12-12-2009, 02:59 PM   #296
Recycles dryer sheets

Is That You?

W2R,

Your avatar . . . . maybe you a couple of years ago? I like it. That person seems very serene, confident and empathetic. Saw the same avatar and name at FedSoup. I am known as angioid over there.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:21 PM   #297
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellbender View Post
W2R,

Your avatar . . . . maybe you a couple of years ago? I like it. That person seems very serene, confident and empathetic. Saw the same avatar and name at FedSoup. I am known as angioid over there.
Hellbender, that is me over at federalsoup.com . The avatar is German actress/model Eva Habermann, not me. I am 61 and look like it! But I like the avatar, which used to be one of the default avatars at this forum when it was hosted elsewhere with different software.

Whenever I change the avatar, there is an outcry! So, I suppose it will remain for now.

I like it!
Old 12-12-2009, 03:31 PM   #298
Recycles dryer sheets

I like it!

Quote:
Hellbender, that is me over at federalsoup.com . The avatar is German actress/model Eva Habermann, not me. I am 61 and look like it! But I like the avatar, which used to be one of the default avatars at this forum when it was hosted elsewhere with different software.

Whenever I change the avatar, there is an outcry! So, I suppose it will remain for now.
It's perfect for you. Don't change it. Also, don't worry about OPM. They will get it right. (eventually) I know it's nerve wracking . . . . after all, it's your new livlihood. Iam still amazed that money comes into my checking account every month that I no longer have to work for. Life is good! Be patient.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:48 PM   #299
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
BTW, My pension was rather complicated as it involved CSRS, FERS, a break in service, and an early retirement buyout. The folks at OPM figured it all out.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:13 PM   #300
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
BTW, My pension was rather complicated as it involved CSRS, FERS, a break in service, and an early retirement buyout. The folks at OPM figured it all out.
Glad to hear that! Mine should be the simplest they have ever computed. I only worked for one agency at one facility with no break in service and all under FERS. I am just glad to have heard that my packet was finally sent on to them, on December 3rd.