Wardrobe reduction

After a cold, rainy Spring, the weather's finally turned warm. Time to get out those two pairs of jean shorts from Walmart and those T shirts from Old Navy.

Nicest thing about retiring is shaving only on Wednesdays and Sundays.

All the drunks amd resident hillbillies speak to me like I'm one of them. All because I drive a pickup truck. It's nice to be accepted, however. I do work hard building on my houses and doing construction on Habitat type houses--but just not at a job.

Last edited:
Likewise, I need to go and buy a dress for the wedding.

Ironic, isn't it, that you have a dress, but you can't wear it on this occasion! Could you borrow or rent one?

My guess is that your wife would like to dress up for some events and would appreciate your being a handsome accessory for her.

If it cost a thousand bucks or so, and you are not really thrilled at dressing up, it may just warm her heart and make both of you glad.

I like casual too, but I really appreciate GF dressing up. So occasionally I figure -do something well, Ha you lazy slob. It will make her happy, and it may do wonders for you too.

Ha

Yeah, likely so. Or at least try to not look homeless. That's what the suit is for - it's the middle ground between casual and formal that's a stretch.

Timely topic for me. This weekend I went through my closet and pulled out a large garbage bag of my old work related clothes and took to Goodwill. I have been retired five years and realized that I will never wear these clothes. Since retirement I have bought jeans, underwear, shoes, casual tops, and one dressy dress (party dress not business dressy). It felt good to get rid of those old clothes.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Like others, I have spent very little on clothes since ER. Most days, I wear a T shirt and jeans or shorts. If I'm going out, I usually will put on a polo type shirt and maybe slacks. I still have the button down shirts that I had for w*rk. They still fit and I occasionally wear them. I have one nice suit that I keep for special occasions.
Not that I'm keeping track, but I have not worn a tie for over 4 years.:dance:

Yeah, likely so. Or at least try to not look homeless. That's what the suit is for - it's the middle ground between casual and formal that's a stretch.

Actually, wearing a suit has become so rare I think I see more suits (albeit usually worn and/or dirty) on the homeless or unemployed than the office workers these days. They are overrun with them at the local Salvation Army, Goodwill, and charity thrift shops.

Ironic, isn't it, that you have a dress, but you can't wear it on this occasion! Could you borrow or rent one?

http://www.rentherunway.com

I haven't tried this but I'm intrigued. My niece, who's into high fashion, uses it a lot. What I really like are the reviews with pictures from real women who rented the dress. Most have "normal" shapes, not stick-thin model figures.

I just looked. These are all young beautiful women, if this is "normal" I need to know where!

Ha, if athena53 can get us an address, I'll spring for the bus tickets.

I'm wearing just a couple of tshirts and shorts, and Tom's shoes. I'm starting to look like I'm homeless. The other day when I was out and about, I noticed my shorts were on inside out....and I didn't care....

thank god, i thought i was the only one.
nothing but stained t shirts, crocs, and old shorts for me. funny how you don't care when you're no longer concerned about impressions.

http://www.rentherunway.com

I haven't tried this but I'm intrigued. My niece, who's into high fashion, uses it a lot. What I really like are the reviews with pictures from real women who rented the dress. Most have "normal" shapes, not stick-thin model figures.

I have a friend who uses this site all the time when she has to attend fancy events in her field. She loves it.

After years of a severely reduced wardrobe - living in and RV will do that for you - I am finally expanding my clothes selection a wee bit.

The main issue seems to be that I wear a different set of clothes when I travel overseas.

We actually found a jacket for DH in the Valley. A miracle really. People here just laugh when you ask for the tall sizes.

Last edited:
My birthday is on Friday. On Saturday, our church is doing a "free rummage sale" for clients of the local food pantry. A month ago, I announced to my family (a bunch of pack-rats) that the only thing I wanted from them for my birthday was a garbage bag full of clothes. So far we've donated six large bags full. It's going to be a very satisfying birthday!

Ha, if athena53 can get us an address, I'll spring for the bus tickets.
I'm in, and I'll bring a cooler of Coney Dogs! I went back to look at the more ordinary ones. Still wonderfully tall, slim, and best of all, their legs are longer than I am tall!

Ha

Back
Top Bottom